Re: Buddhist economics

  • olbeggaols
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
      Yong Peng,

      I understand your concern here is to keep the discussion polite.

      Reviewing the post, I imagine you would have preferred I had left out
      the:

      "With all the best wishes for you personally, this has got to be
      either a thoughtless statement on your part or an outright pernicious
      belief that you should let go of, that is, your statement that:

      "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"

      and the closing:

      "It just comes down to what I would call a discouraging word."

      That would have left:

      "What is your understanding of the goal of what the Buddha taught is
      if it isn't to escape nama and rupa?"

      And that would most likely have been a better way to go, all things
      considered, so if Nina will accept a retraction I would re-state the
      post:

      Nina:

      You say: "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"

      In reference to that I ask: "What is your understanding of the goal
      of what the Buddha taught is if it isn't to escape nama and rupa?"

      Now if I am not mistaken, Nina is no idiot, and she sees exactly that
      my intent is in this attempt to enter into debate with her:

      1. It is for the sake of pointing out by way of analysis of the
      response how it was a statement made without thought or was a
      pernicious belief held onto by her.

      2. It is for the sake of pointing out to those who are just learning
      how such a view is not Dhamma, (it's not even realistic in ordinary
      terms) and that it is one of our duties in our concern for the
      preservation of Dhamma to point out what is and what is not Dhamma.

      It is a matter of judgment, in my judgment, as to whether it is less
      blunt to be blunt and get the cards out on the table and by that
      point out the purposes of raising the issue or to be what appears to
      me to be excessively circumspect and risk loss of the point
      altogether while having gained nothing in terms of what Nina (and
      anyone else thinking about the matter) understands to be the intent.

      I actually fall on the side of being more circumspect and have been
      working on that issue in my posts; it goes against my upbringing and
      perception of what does and what does not constitute the best way for
      an individual to hear that he is dead wrong about something, but it
      is definately a better way when considering my own peace of mind and
      the hassles of dealing with misunderstanding my intentions.

      The other issue here is: since such statements as the one made by
      Nina here constitute a 'blunt' attack on many people's belief systems
      (within the Dhamma) (sort of my parallel to 'there are women
      present') shouldn't policy be just as thorough in coming down on such
      as on coming down on poorly constructed reaction to such? Equal
      treatment to all according to the same standard is one of the four
      basics for developing friendships.
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
        Hi Mike Olds,
        Sorry to cause misunderstandings. I meant something different from what you
        read.
        Nama and rupa are everywhere and they can be objects of understanding. We
        cannot avoid them, because they are right here. But, the development of
        right understanding of them will eventually lead to the end of samsara, and
        then there will not be the arising of nama and rupa anymore.
        I just saw your other post, but no need to worry. We are just studying
        Dhamma.
        Nina.
        op 03-04-2005 13:05 schreef olbeggaols op MikeOlds@...:

        > With all the best wishes for you personally, this has got to be
        > either a thoughtless statement on your part or an outright pernicious
        > belief that you should let go of, that is, your statement that:
        >
        > "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"
        >
        > What is your understanding of the goal of what the Buddha taught is
        > if it isn't to escape nama and rupa?
        >
        > It just comes down to what I would call a discouraging word.
      • Stephen Hodge
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
          Mike wrote:

          >> "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"
          > 1. It is for the sake of pointing out by way of analysis of the
          > response how it was a statement made without thought or was a
          > pernicious belief held onto by her.

          I think this is all rather over the top and still not a little offensive or
          hurtful. To me, it is quite clear from the context that Nina was not saying
          that one cannot escape from nama-rupa in the Buddhist sense, but they are an
          ever-present problem that we are burdened with, so as far as I can see she
          was merely saying that the demands of life are sometimes rather presssing.

          You should always remember that not everybody on this list is a native
          speaker of English -- though she has an excellent command of the language,
          English is not Nina's mother tongue. Allowances should be made for the
          occasional linguistic infelicity which would not have been written by
          masters of our language such as yourself.

          > what does and what does not constitute the best way for
          > an individual to hear that he is dead wrong about something
          You, of course, are impeccably qualified to judge such things ?

          Best wishes,
          Stephen Hodge
        • "Kåre A. Lie"
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
            At 14:23 03.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

            >--- Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:
            > > I would like to say that where personal wealth
            > > management is concerned,
            > > anything along this line is fine. However, I believe
            > > the Buddha didn't
            > > intend it to be dogmatic
            >
            >For one thing, he must have been quite aware that not
            >everyone is able to live on only 25% of his or her
            >gross income. I never could, and I don't feel too
            >sorry for being unable to follow the letter of his
            >advice.

            I agree.

            The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
            book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
            useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
            concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.

            I do not recommend that anyone should take these stories dogmatically. What
            they show, however, is that from a Buddhist point of view lay persons can
            pursue their carreers and earn money with a good conscience, provided they
            earn their money in a rightful way, spend their earnings wisely and also
            use them to help others.

            I found that there are several small dialogues in the AN that illustrate
            this, and I think I'll use the one in DN 69 (IV, VII, 62). But I am
            thankful for the suggestions I got. They pointed me in the right direction.

            Yours,

            Kåre A. Lie
            http://www.lienet.no/

            THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with
            an excellent vocabulary.
          • "Kåre A. Lie"
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
              At 11:05 03.04.2005 +0000, you wrote:

              >Kåre,
              >
              >ATI is down at the moment, but if you get to the 8s there are two
              >translations of the Longknee sutta there:
              >
              >http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an08-054a.html

              Thank you. I've got the PTS books in English and the CSCD with the Pali
              texts, so that is no problem at all.

              Best regards,

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                At 11:35 03.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

                >Hi Kåre,
                >op 02-04-2005 14:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:
                >
                > > If someone have
                > > some other suggestions about this or other sayings about the same theme -
                > > householders and economics - I'd be most thankful.
                >N: Ang. Book of Eights, Ch 5, Gotamid, § 4, Longknee or Diighajaanu. Also
                >edited in Wheel no 14. I cannot quote much now: conditions of worldly
                >progress, accomplishment of watchfulness, good friendship, etc.
                >What I like in all these suttas; the advice is very practical for laymen and
                >at the end there are spiritual counsels. The accomplishment of wisdom:
                >insight that realizes impermanence. Satipatthana is implied, and to be
                >developed in daily life. Also when earning one's living, playing music in
                >our case! There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them.
                >Nina.

                Thank you, Nina. This is also a very interesting dialogue. It is a bit long
                for my purpose, but I think I will find use for parts of it.

                Best regards,

                Kåre A. Lie
                http://www.lienet.no/

                THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with
                an excellent vocabulary.
              • Ven. Yuttadhammo
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                  >--- Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:
                  > > I would like to say that where personal wealth
                  > > management is concerned,
                  > > anything along this line is fine. However, I believe
                  > > the Buddha didn't
                  > > intend it to be dogmatic
                  >
                  >For one thing, he must have been quite aware that not
                  >everyone is able to live on only 25% of his or her
                  >gross income. I never could, and I don't feel too
                  >sorry for being unable to follow the letter of his
                  >advice.

                  Dear Friends,

                  I think another thing to take into consideration here is our
                  extravagent lifestyles in the West that drive up prices of housing,
                  food, etc. If someone really wanted to keep to the Buddha's words
                  here, they might have to move to a poor country, live in a hut, and
                  be quite clever, like the mouse merchant (Jat 4).

                  I think it must have been a gutsy thing to say even in the time of the
                  Buddha, especially given the commentary's explaination implying that
                  we are not actually meant to live on 25% of our income, we are meant
                  to live on whatever is left of that 25% after giving alms! (cp
                  Vighaasa Jat. 393) It might of course be wise to suggest that the two
                  parts to be used for business include income taxes and other taxes,
                  which are quite high in developed countries...

                  Not to outright suggest that one try to follow this to the letter, but
                  to suggest that sometimes we are quick to think the Buddha's teaching
                  outdated and impractical when it might in fact just be out of our
                  reach at the moment... the story goes that Vessantara was born with
                  his hand outstretched, and the first words he uttered were "mother, I
                  wish to make some gift, is there anything?" (Jat 547) :) Visayha (Jat
                  340) mowed grass to make money when Sakka caused his treasure to
                  disappear, and he gave both halves of the money got to beggars when
                  asked, six days in a row, before fainting on the seventh day.

                  maa bhikkhave pu~n~naana.m bhaayittha. sukhasseta.m, bhikkhave,
                  adhivacana.m - yadida.m pu~n~naani. (Iti 1.3.2 Mettasutta)

                  amhaaka.m kusalaa kammaa nibbaanapaccayaa hontu,

                  Yuttadhammo
                • Ven. Yuttadhammo
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                    >>> "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"
                    >> 1. It is for the sake of pointing out by way of analysis of the
                    >> response how it was a statement made without thought or was a
                    >> pernicious belief held onto by her.
                    >
                    > I think this is all rather over the top and still not a little
                    > offensive or
                    > hurtful. To me, it is quite clear from the context that Nina was
                    > not saying
                    > that one cannot escape from nama-rupa in the Buddhist sense, but
                    > they are an
                    > ever-present problem that we are burdened with, so as far as I can
                    > see she
                    > was merely saying that the demands of life are sometimes rather
                    > presssing.

                    If I may respectfully interject... I would like to affirm Ms. Van
                    Gorkom's statement... we cannot escape rupa and nama, as the
                    components of "we" are that very rupa and nama. This is why the Lord
                    Buddha taught "sabbe dhammaa anattaa". If nibbaana were self, then
                    surely we could escape rupa and nama. But since nibbaana is not self,
                    there is therefore no escape for "we". "We" has to run around chasing
                    after "we" like a dog its tail, and no escape is possible for a dog
                    from its tail...

                    Through letting go of "we", along with "they", "us", "them", "ours",
                    "theirs" (aha.m kara, mama.m kara) there is no more arising of rupa
                    and nama, and so there is nothing more to escape from and nothing that
                    should escape! But this requires freedom from both ditthi and manas,
                    and is not something achieved without striving...

                    ime me dve maasakaa honti (these are my two cents).

                    Shalom,

                    Yuttadhammo

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                      Dear Kåre,
                      op 03-04-2005 22:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:

                      > The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
                      > book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
                      > useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
                      > concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.
                      N: That is interesting. I find that the Brahmaviharas help much for our
                      social life. Police officers in Thailand were so interested in this subject,
                      and Acharn Sujin gave them a talk about it. This inspired me to write some
                      dialogues on the Brahma Viharas I had with my husband. This may be too much
                      for the scope of your book. In case you want to see it, it is on:
                      http://www.zolag.co.uk/
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                        Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Kare, Nina, Mike, Rahula, Gunnar, Stephen and
                        friends,

                        Mike: In the Sangaha Sutta, the Buddha gives generosity, kinds words,
                        beneficial help and consistency as the four grounds for the bonds of
                        fellowship. I understand that you have no ill intentions, but I find
                        that there is no need to "corner" Nina for a statement she did not
                        make clear.

                        Otherwise, I do respect what you have done, for pointing the
                        incompleteness of Nina's statement, which may result in some having
                        an incorrect understanding of the Dhamma.

                        As the size of a discussion group grows and the discussion topics get
                        more involved, there is a tendency people shun from pointing out
                        others' mistakes, or correcting their own mistakes. So, I like to
                        take this opportunity to invite members who have never voiced out to
                        come forward, raise questions, and give your opinions, but please do
                        so wisely. This is important, otherwise it defeats the purpose of a
                        discussion group. It even defeats the good name of the Dhamma!

                        Svakkhato Bhagavata Dhammo
                        Sanditthiko Akaliko
                        Ehi-passiko Opanayiko
                        Paccattam veditabbo viññuhi ti.

                        Sangaha Sutta:
                        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-032.html

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                          Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina, Kare, Mike, Stephen, Gunnar, Rahula and
                          friends,

                          as I browsed through the ATI site earlier, I come across yet another
                          thread of advice by the Buddha, the Kula Sutta:
                          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-255.html

                        • "Kåre A. Lie"
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                            At 10:50 04.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

                            >Dear Kåre,
                            >op 03-04-2005 22:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:
                            > >
                            > > The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
                            > > book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
                            > > useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
                            > > concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.
                            >N: That is interesting. I find that the Brahmaviharas help much for our
                            >social life. Police officers in Thailand were so interested in this subject,
                            >and Acharn Sujin gave them a talk about it. This inspired me to write some
                            >dialogues on the Brahma Viharas I had with my husband. This may be too much
                            >for the scope of your book. In case you want to see it, it is on:
                            >http://www.zolag.co.uk/
                            >Nina.

                            Dear Nina,

                            I very much agree. The Brahmaviharas are very important for our daily life.
                            I have already given them a prominent place in my book manuscript.

                            It was also interesting to read the article you gave a link to. But my book
                            is aiming at people without any special knowledge or background of
                            Buddhism, so I try to keep things a little more simple and less technical.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                              At 09:12 04.04.2005 +0000, you wrote:

                              >Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina, Kare, Mike, Stephen, Gunnar, Rahula and
                              >friends,
                              >
                              >as I browsed through the ATI site earlier, I come across yet another
                              >thread of advice by the Buddha, the Kula Sutta:
                              >http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-255.html
                              >

                              >metta,
                              >Yong Peng.

                              Thank you. There are many gems of worldly wisdom in the Tipitaka.