Re: [Pali] Ledi Saydaw and the Abhidhammatthasangaha...

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3 1:35 AM
      Hi Wayne,
      op 02-04-2005 20:18 schreef volicer op volicer@...:
      > I am now working through the Abhidhammatthasangaha. Can anyone tell me
      > some general points of difference between Ledi Sayadaw's commentary on
      > the Sangaha and the commentary found in the
      Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika?
      N: I have his articles in the Manuals of Buddhism. I particularly like his
      exposition on rupas (we also find in the
      Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika) and his synchrony of relations, this
      is very clear. His set up is different. I have the
      Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika in English (Wijeratne and Gethin). This
      book has many more details.
      Nina.
    • volicer
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 10:11 AM
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
        > Hi Wayne,
        > op 02-04-2005 20:18 schreef volicer op volicer@y...:
        > > I am now working through the Abhidhammatthasangaha. Can anyone tell me
        > > some general points of difference between Ledi Sayadaw's commentary on
        > > the Sangaha and the commentary found in the
        > Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika?
        > N: I have his articles in the Manuals of Buddhism. I particularly
        like his
        > exposition on rupas (we also find in the
        > Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika) and his synchrony of
        relations, this
        > is very clear. His set up is different. I have the
        > Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika in English (Wijeratne and
        Gethin). This
        > book has many more details.
        > Nina.

        Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika in English (Wijeratne and
        Gethin)!?!?!?!?!
        How wonderful! Where did You find it? Could You give me a little more
        info on the edition and publisher and so on. My Pali is not very good
        and so I have really been struggling through the Tika.

        Thanks so much,

        wayne
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4 1:50 AM
          Hi Wayne,

          op 03-04-2005 19:11 schreef volicer op volicer@...:

          >> Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika in English (Wijeratne and
          > Gethin).
          N: Summary of the Topics of Abhidhamma and Exposiiton of the topics of
          Abhidhamma, translated by R.P. Wijeratne and Rupert Gethin.
          PTS.
          ISBN O 86013 412 I
          You may order via Pariyatti or Wisdom Books, I think. Or via PTS.
          It is the text of the Abhidh Sangaha and the Exposition which is the Co.
          They are together.
          Nina.
        • Ven. Pandita
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4 5:44 AM
            Nina, Wayne, and friends

            There are more than 200 points where Ledi Sayadaw differs strongly from
            Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika. His criticisms have the typical
            initial sentence "ta.m na sundara.m (This is not beautiful, i.e., not
            good), which is traditionally viewed as almost too strong in tone, for
            other commentators' typical term is "ta.m vicaaretabba.m (This should be
            thought over)"

            However, many of these difference are concerned with grammatical
            intricacies and definitions of terms; there are very few doctrinal
            differences. For both of them, or for that matter the author of
            Abhidhammatthasangaha himself, were mere followers of the Abhidhamma
            commentarial tradition. They were not original thinkers like Asvaghosa,
            etc. of Mahayana Buddhism.

            with metta

            Ven. Pandita

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4 9:59 AM
              Venerable Pandita,

              Please feel free to elaborate as much as you can on the subject of
              Ledi Sayadaw. He and his work, paricularly his work with the Sangaha,
              are of the utmost interest to me.

              metta,
              wayne