Re: Pali Day by Day 4/01/2005 [D138]

    Message 1 of 1247 , Apr 2 4:36 PM
      Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo and friends,

      Bhante: thanks. I think we can probably rewrite the English sentence
      a bit to facilitate better rendering in Pali.

      They took the Threefold Refuge together with the Five Precepts today.
      te / yaaci.msu (requested) / tisara.nena saha / paƱcasiilaani / ajja
      Te ajja tisara.nena saha pa~ncasiilaani yaaci.msu.

      What do you think?

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Ven. Yuttadhammo wrote:

      > 9. They took the Three Refuges and the Five Precepts today.
      > Te ajja tiini sara.naani ca paƱca siilaani ca rakkhi.msu.

      This is correct, I think, but just a note that the standard word
      for "Three Refuges" is "tisara.na" (nt. sing.), as in the "threefold
      refuge".

      Also, I don't know what verb I would have used here... I'm thinking
      that "rakkh" might not be suitable for "taking", especially in
      context of the three refuges. The only thing I can think of is to
      say "te ajja tisara.na.m gatvaa pa~ncasiilaani rakkhi.msu", but that
      is further from the literal :) Maybe "te ajja tisara.nena saha
      pa~ncasiilaani samaadiyi.msu (took upon themselves)", or "te ajja
      tisara.nena saha pa~ncasiilaani yaaci.msu (requested)" which is in
      accordance with the customary way of taking refuges and precepts...
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hello Jayarava and friends,

        Dhivan