Ledi Saydaw and the Abhidhammatthasangaha...

  • volicer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 10:18 AM
      Greetings all,

      I am now working through the Abhidhammatthasangaha. Can anyone tell me
      some general points of difference between Ledi Sayadaw's commentary on
      the Sangaha and the commentary found in the
      Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika?

      metta,

      Wayne
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 1:35 AM
        Hi Wayne,
        op 02-04-2005 20:18 schreef volicer op volicer@...:
        > I am now working through the Abhidhammatthasangaha. Can anyone tell me
        > some general points of difference between Ledi Sayadaw's commentary on
        > the Sangaha and the commentary found in the
        Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika?
        N: I have his articles in the Manuals of Buddhism. I particularly like his
        exposition on rupas (we also find in the
        Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika) and his synchrony of relations, this
        is very clear. His set up is different. I have the
        Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika in English (Wijeratne and Gethin). This
        book has many more details.
        Nina.
      • volicer
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3 10:11 AM
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
          > Hi Wayne,
          > op 02-04-2005 20:18 schreef volicer op volicer@y...:
          > > I am now working through the Abhidhammatthasangaha. Can anyone tell me
          > > some general points of difference between Ledi Sayadaw's commentary on
          > > the Sangaha and the commentary found in the
          > Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika?
          > N: I have his articles in the Manuals of Buddhism. I particularly
          like his
          > exposition on rupas (we also find in the
          > Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika) and his synchrony of
          relations, this
          > is very clear. His set up is different. I have the
          > Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika in English (Wijeratne and
          Gethin). This
          > book has many more details.
          > Nina.

          Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika in English (Wijeratne and
          Gethin)!?!?!?!?!
          How wonderful! Where did You find it? Could You give me a little more
          info on the edition and publisher and so on. My Pali is not very good
          and so I have really been struggling through the Tika.

          Thanks so much,

          wayne
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4 1:50 AM
            Hi Wayne,

            op 03-04-2005 19:11 schreef volicer op volicer@...:

            >> Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika in English (Wijeratne and
            > Gethin).
            N: Summary of the Topics of Abhidhamma and Exposiiton of the topics of
            Abhidhamma, translated by R.P. Wijeratne and Rupert Gethin.
            PTS.
            ISBN O 86013 412 I
            You may order via Pariyatti or Wisdom Books, I think. Or via PTS.
            It is the text of the Abhidh Sangaha and the Exposition which is the Co.
            They are together.
            Nina.
          • Ven. Pandita
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4 5:44 AM
              Nina, Wayne, and friends

              There are more than 200 points where Ledi Sayadaw differs strongly from
              Abhidhammatthasangaha-Vibhavini-Tika. His criticisms have the typical
              initial sentence "ta.m na sundara.m (This is not beautiful, i.e., not
              good), which is traditionally viewed as almost too strong in tone, for
              other commentators' typical term is "ta.m vicaaretabba.m (This should be
              thought over)"

              However, many of these difference are concerned with grammatical
              intricacies and definitions of terms; there are very few doctrinal
              differences. For both of them, or for that matter the author of
              Abhidhammatthasangaha himself, were mere followers of the Abhidhamma
              commentarial tradition. They were not original thinkers like Asvaghosa,
              etc. of Mahayana Buddhism.

              with metta

              Ven. Pandita

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4 9:59 AM
                Venerable Pandita,

                Please feel free to elaborate as much as you can on the subject of
                Ledi Sayadaw. He and his work, paricularly his work with the Sangaha,
                are of the utmost interest to me.

                metta,
                wayne