Re: Buddhist economics

  • olbeggaols
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 2, 2005
      Kåre

      The Book of Fives
      Sutta 41
      On Make'n Mula

      I HEAR TELL:

      Once upon a time the Lucky Man, Savatthi-town, Jeta Woods,
      Anathapindika Park, came a revisit'n.
      There, Anathapindika, the housefather, came to pay a call, and,
      after paying respect with closed palms,
      he sat on a low seat to one side
      at a respectful distance,
      and Bhaggava said this to him:

      "Housefather!
      There are these five reasons for getting rich.
      What five?"

      "In the case of the first case
      a student of the Aristocrats gets rich
      in a just, lawful manner;
      by the strength of his arm,
      the sweat of his brow;
      hard work,
      energy,
      enterprise and
      intelligence.

      With his wealth so earned
      he makes himself happy
      and he is able to sustain that happiness;
      he makes his parents happy
      and he is able to sustain their happiness;
      he makes his wife and children happy
      and he is able to sustain their happiness;
      he makes his employees happy
      and he is able to sustain their happiness.

      This is the first case.

      In the case of the second case,
      with riches so gotten,
      he makes his friends and companions happy
      and he is able to sustain their happiness.

      This is the second case.

      In the case of the third case,
      with riches so gotten,
      he is able to set up protections
      against loss through disaster,
      fire,
      water,
      kings,
      robbers,
      enemies and
      greedy heirs.

      This is the third case.

      In the case of the fourth case,
      with riches so gotten,
      he makes the five-dimensional offering ceremony,
      offering gifts and nourishment,
      remembrance and gratitude to:
      kinfolk,
      friends,
      ancestors,
      kings,
      and the gods.

      This is the fourth case.

      Again, in addition,
      with riches so gotten,
      he makes gifts to shaman and godly men;
      men of modest demeanor
      who have let go of lazy ways,
      bearing all with patience,
      men who have stilled,
      calmed,
      controlled the self,
      perfected the self,
      abandoned the self;
      gifts aimed at the high,
      the godly,
      resulting in happiness,
      leading to heavenly realms.

      This is the fifth case.

      These are the five reasons for getting rich.

      Furthermore, householder,
      should the wealth of such a one,
      having gathered wealth
      with these five reasons in mind,
      come to destruction,
      he may rightly think:
      'At least this wealth now lost
      was gathered for righteous reasons.'

      And he will find
      he is without shame or regret.

      But if his wealth should grow
      he may think:
      'This wealth is growing,
      and I am one who grows his wealth
      for righteous reasons.'

      And in this way
      he will have protected himself
      from worry from either cause.
    • "Kåre A. Lie"
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2, 2005
        At 13:41 02.04.2005 +0000, olbeggaols wrote:

> [...]
        >kinfolk,
        >friends,
        >ancestors,
        >kings,
        >and the gods.
        >
        >This is the fourth case.
        >
        >Again, in addition,
        >with riches so gotten,
        >he makes gifts to shaman and godly men;
        >men of modest demeanor
        >who have let go of lazy ways,
        >bearing all with patience,
        >men who have stilled,
        >calmed,
        >controlled the self,
        >perfected the self,
        >abandoned the self;
        >gifts aimed at the high,
        >the godly,
        >resulting in happiness,
        >leading to heavenly realms.
        >
        >This is the fifth case.
        >
        >These are the five reasons for getting rich.

        Exactly the text that was lurking somewhere in the deeper recesses of my
        failing memory!

        Thank you very much!

        Best regards,

        Kåre A. Lie
        http://www.lienet.no/

        THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with
        an excellent vocabulary.
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2005
          Dear Kare, Mike and friends,

          thanks for the interesting discussion. For those who are interested in
          comparative study with Mahayana texts, the protection of wealth against
          loss through the seven factors is also mentioned in several Mahayana
          texts.

          I wonder if the Buddha said further about protecting loss by means of
          kings, who were impossible for a commoner to oppose in those days.

          I would like to say that where personal wealth management is concerned,
          anything along this line is fine. However, I believe the Buddha didn't
          intend it to be dogmatic, and the advice of professional consultants in
          all areas of wealth management should be considered. This is especially
          true since each person's circumstances is different from others, which
          make professional advice even more valuable.

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
            Hi Kåre,
            op 02-04-2005 14:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:

            > If someone have
            > some other suggestions about this or other sayings about the same theme -
            > householders and economics - I'd be most thankful.
            N: Ang. Book of Eights, Ch 5, Gotamid, § 4, Longknee or Diighajaanu. Also
            edited in Wheel no 14. I cannot quote much now: conditions of worldly
            progress, accomplishment of watchfulness, good friendship, etc.
            What I like in all these suttas; the advice is very practical for laymen and
            at the end there are spiritual counsels. The accomplishment of wisdom:
            insight that realizes impermanence. Satipatthana is implied, and to be
            developed in daily life. Also when earning one's living, playing music in
            our case! There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them.
            Nina.
          • olbeggaols
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
              Kåre,

              ATI is down at the moment, but if you get to the 8s there are two
              translations of the Longknee sutta there:

              http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an08-054a.html

              Nina,

              With all the best wishes for you personally, this has got to be
              either a thoughtless statement on your part or an outright pernicious
              belief that you should let go of, that is, your statement that:

              "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"

              What is your understanding of the goal of what the Buddha taught is
              if it isn't to escape nama and rupa?

              It just comes down to what I would call a discouraging word.
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                Dear Kare, Nina, Mike and friends,

                Mike: I can understanding your style of writing emails. I think it is
                totally a matter of personal taste the way an individual compose his
                messages. However, I do sometimes find them too blunt. It is still ok
                to talk rough between guys, provided no one gets personal. However,
                please be mindful that there are ladies on the list too. Therefore, I
                would suggest that we go a bit light-hearted in our exchanges.

                Otherwise, I think you have raised a valid point. But, then, Nina may
                have other opinions.

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, olbeggaols wrote:

                > "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"

                What is your understanding of the goal of what the Buddha taught is
                if it isn't to escape nama and rupa?
              • Gunnar Gällmo
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                  --- Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:
                  > I would like to say that where personal wealth
                  > management is concerned,
                  > anything along this line is fine. However, I believe
                  > the Buddha didn't
                  > intend it to be dogmatic

                  For one thing, he must have been quite aware that not
                  everyone is able to live on only 25% of his or her
                  gross income. I never could, and I don't feel too
                  sorry for being unable to follow the letter of his
                  advice.

                  Gunnar

                  gunnargallmo@...
                • olbeggaols
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                    Yong Peng,

                    I understand your concern here is to keep the discussion polite.

                    Reviewing the post, I imagine you would have preferred I had left out
                    the:

                    "With all the best wishes for you personally, this has got to be
                    either a thoughtless statement on your part or an outright pernicious
                    belief that you should let go of, that is, your statement that:

                    "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"

                    and the closing:

                    "It just comes down to what I would call a discouraging word."

                    That would have left:

                    "What is your understanding of the goal of what the Buddha taught is
                    if it isn't to escape nama and rupa?"

                    And that would most likely have been a better way to go, all things
                    considered, so if Nina will accept a retraction I would re-state the
                    post:

                    Nina:

                    You say: "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"

                    In reference to that I ask: "What is your understanding of the goal
                    of what the Buddha taught is if it isn't to escape nama and rupa?"

                    Now if I am not mistaken, Nina is no idiot, and she sees exactly that
                    my intent is in this attempt to enter into debate with her:

                    1. It is for the sake of pointing out by way of analysis of the
                    response how it was a statement made without thought or was a
                    pernicious belief held onto by her.

                    2. It is for the sake of pointing out to those who are just learning
                    how such a view is not Dhamma, (it's not even realistic in ordinary
                    terms) and that it is one of our duties in our concern for the
                    preservation of Dhamma to point out what is and what is not Dhamma.

                    It is a matter of judgment, in my judgment, as to whether it is less
                    blunt to be blunt and get the cards out on the table and by that
                    point out the purposes of raising the issue or to be what appears to
                    me to be excessively circumspect and risk loss of the point
                    altogether while having gained nothing in terms of what Nina (and
                    anyone else thinking about the matter) understands to be the intent.

                    I actually fall on the side of being more circumspect and have been
                    working on that issue in my posts; it goes against my upbringing and
                    perception of what does and what does not constitute the best way for
                    an individual to hear that he is dead wrong about something, but it
                    is definately a better way when considering my own peace of mind and
                    the hassles of dealing with misunderstanding my intentions.

                    The other issue here is: since such statements as the one made by
                    Nina here constitute a 'blunt' attack on many people's belief systems
                    (within the Dhamma) (sort of my parallel to 'there are women
                    present') shouldn't policy be just as thorough in coming down on such
                    as on coming down on poorly constructed reaction to such? Equal
                    treatment to all according to the same standard is one of the four
                    basics for developing friendships.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                      Hi Mike Olds,
                      Sorry to cause misunderstandings. I meant something different from what you
                      read.
                      Nama and rupa are everywhere and they can be objects of understanding. We
                      cannot avoid them, because they are right here. But, the development of
                      right understanding of them will eventually lead to the end of samsara, and
                      then there will not be the arising of nama and rupa anymore.
                      I just saw your other post, but no need to worry. We are just studying
                      Dhamma.
                      Nina.
                      op 03-04-2005 13:05 schreef olbeggaols op MikeOlds@...:

                      > With all the best wishes for you personally, this has got to be
                      > either a thoughtless statement on your part or an outright pernicious
                      > belief that you should let go of, that is, your statement that:
                      >
                      > "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"
                      >
                      > What is your understanding of the goal of what the Buddha taught is
                      > if it isn't to escape nama and rupa?
                      >
                      > It just comes down to what I would call a discouraging word.
                    • Stephen Hodge
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                        Mike wrote:

                        >> "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"
                        > 1. It is for the sake of pointing out by way of analysis of the
                        > response how it was a statement made without thought or was a
                        > pernicious belief held onto by her.

                        I think this is all rather over the top and still not a little offensive or
                        hurtful. To me, it is quite clear from the context that Nina was not saying
                        that one cannot escape from nama-rupa in the Buddhist sense, but they are an
                        ever-present problem that we are burdened with, so as far as I can see she
                        was merely saying that the demands of life are sometimes rather presssing.

                        You should always remember that not everybody on this list is a native
                        speaker of English -- though she has an excellent command of the language,
                        English is not Nina's mother tongue. Allowances should be made for the
                        occasional linguistic infelicity which would not have been written by
                        masters of our language such as yourself.

                        > what does and what does not constitute the best way for
                        > an individual to hear that he is dead wrong about something
                        You, of course, are impeccably qualified to judge such things ?

                        Best wishes,
                        Stephen Hodge
                      • "Kåre A. Lie"
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                          At 14:23 03.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

                          >--- Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:
                          > > I would like to say that where personal wealth
                          > > management is concerned,
                          > > anything along this line is fine. However, I believe
                          > > the Buddha didn't
                          > > intend it to be dogmatic
                          >
                          >For one thing, he must have been quite aware that not
                          >everyone is able to live on only 25% of his or her
                          >gross income. I never could, and I don't feel too
                          >sorry for being unable to follow the letter of his
                          >advice.

                          I agree.

                          The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
                          book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
                          useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
                          concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.

                          I do not recommend that anyone should take these stories dogmatically. What
                          they show, however, is that from a Buddhist point of view lay persons can
                          pursue their carreers and earn money with a good conscience, provided they
                          earn their money in a rightful way, spend their earnings wisely and also
                          use them to help others.

                          I found that there are several small dialogues in the AN that illustrate
                          this, and I think I'll use the one in DN 69 (IV, VII, 62). But I am
                          thankful for the suggestions I got. They pointed me in the right direction.

                          Yours,

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                            At 11:05 03.04.2005 +0000, you wrote:

                            >Kåre,
                            >
                            >ATI is down at the moment, but if you get to the 8s there are two
                            >translations of the Longknee sutta there:
                            >
                            >http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an08-054a.html

                            Thank you. I've got the PTS books in English and the CSCD with the Pali
                            texts, so that is no problem at all.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                              At 11:35 03.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

                              >Hi Kåre,
                              >op 02-04-2005 14:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:
                              >
                              > > If someone have
                              > > some other suggestions about this or other sayings about the same theme -
                              > > householders and economics - I'd be most thankful.
                              >N: Ang. Book of Eights, Ch 5, Gotamid, § 4, Longknee or Diighajaanu. Also
                              >edited in Wheel no 14. I cannot quote much now: conditions of worldly
                              >progress, accomplishment of watchfulness, good friendship, etc.
                              >What I like in all these suttas; the advice is very practical for laymen and
                              >at the end there are spiritual counsels. The accomplishment of wisdom:
                              >insight that realizes impermanence. Satipatthana is implied, and to be
                              >developed in daily life. Also when earning one's living, playing music in
                              >our case! There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them.
                              >Nina.

                              Thank you, Nina. This is also a very interesting dialogue. It is a bit long
                              for my purpose, but I think I will find use for parts of it.

                              Best regards,

                              Kåre A. Lie
                              http://www.lienet.no/

                              THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with
                              an excellent vocabulary.
                            • Ven. Yuttadhammo
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                                >--- Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:
                                > > I would like to say that where personal wealth
                                > > management is concerned,
                                > > anything along this line is fine. However, I believe
                                > > the Buddha didn't
                                > > intend it to be dogmatic
                                >
                                >For one thing, he must have been quite aware that not
                                >everyone is able to live on only 25% of his or her
                                >gross income. I never could, and I don't feel too
                                >sorry for being unable to follow the letter of his
                                >advice.

                                Dear Friends,

                                I think another thing to take into consideration here is our
                                extravagent lifestyles in the West that drive up prices of housing,
                                food, etc. If someone really wanted to keep to the Buddha's words
                                here, they might have to move to a poor country, live in a hut, and
                                be quite clever, like the mouse merchant (Jat 4).

                                I think it must have been a gutsy thing to say even in the time of the
                                Buddha, especially given the commentary's explaination implying that
                                we are not actually meant to live on 25% of our income, we are meant
                                to live on whatever is left of that 25% after giving alms! (cp
                                Vighaasa Jat. 393) It might of course be wise to suggest that the two
                                parts to be used for business include income taxes and other taxes,
                                which are quite high in developed countries...

                                Not to outright suggest that one try to follow this to the letter, but
                                to suggest that sometimes we are quick to think the Buddha's teaching
                                outdated and impractical when it might in fact just be out of our
                                reach at the moment... the story goes that Vessantara was born with
                                his hand outstretched, and the first words he uttered were "mother, I
                                wish to make some gift, is there anything?" (Jat 547) :) Visayha (Jat
                                340) mowed grass to make money when Sakka caused his treasure to
                                disappear, and he gave both halves of the money got to beggars when
                                asked, six days in a row, before fainting on the seventh day.

                                maa bhikkhave pu~n~naana.m bhaayittha. sukhasseta.m, bhikkhave,
                                adhivacana.m - yadida.m pu~n~naani. (Iti 1.3.2 Mettasutta)

                                amhaaka.m kusalaa kammaa nibbaanapaccayaa hontu,

                                Yuttadhammo
                              • Ven. Yuttadhammo
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
                                  >>> "There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them"
                                  >> 1. It is for the sake of pointing out by way of analysis of the
                                  >> response how it was a statement made without thought or was a
                                  >> pernicious belief held onto by her.
                                  >
                                  > I think this is all rather over the top and still not a little
                                  > offensive or
                                  > hurtful. To me, it is quite clear from the context that Nina was
                                  > not saying
                                  > that one cannot escape from nama-rupa in the Buddhist sense, but
                                  > they are an
                                  > ever-present problem that we are burdened with, so as far as I can
                                  > see she
                                  > was merely saying that the demands of life are sometimes rather
                                  > presssing.

                                  If I may respectfully interject... I would like to affirm Ms. Van
                                  Gorkom's statement... we cannot escape rupa and nama, as the
                                  components of "we" are that very rupa and nama. This is why the Lord
                                  Buddha taught "sabbe dhammaa anattaa". If nibbaana were self, then
                                  surely we could escape rupa and nama. But since nibbaana is not self,
                                  there is therefore no escape for "we". "We" has to run around chasing
                                  after "we" like a dog its tail, and no escape is possible for a dog
                                  from its tail...

                                  Through letting go of "we", along with "they", "us", "them", "ours",
                                  "theirs" (aha.m kara, mama.m kara) there is no more arising of rupa
                                  and nama, and so there is nothing more to escape from and nothing that
                                  should escape! But this requires freedom from both ditthi and manas,
                                  and is not something achieved without striving...

                                  ime me dve maasakaa honti (these are my two cents).

                                  Shalom,

                                  Yuttadhammo

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                                    Dear Kåre,
                                    op 03-04-2005 22:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:

                                    > The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
                                    > book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
                                    > useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
                                    > concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.
                                    N: That is interesting. I find that the Brahmaviharas help much for our
                                    social life. Police officers in Thailand were so interested in this subject,
                                    and Acharn Sujin gave them a talk about it. This inspired me to write some
                                    dialogues on the Brahma Viharas I had with my husband. This may be too much
                                    for the scope of your book. In case you want to see it, it is on:
                                    http://www.zolag.co.uk/
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                                      Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Kare, Nina, Mike, Rahula, Gunnar, Stephen and
                                      friends,

                                      Mike: In the Sangaha Sutta, the Buddha gives generosity, kinds words,
                                      beneficial help and consistency as the four grounds for the bonds of
                                      fellowship. I understand that you have no ill intentions, but I find
                                      that there is no need to "corner" Nina for a statement she did not
                                      make clear.

                                      Otherwise, I do respect what you have done, for pointing the
                                      incompleteness of Nina's statement, which may result in some having
                                      an incorrect understanding of the Dhamma.

                                      As the size of a discussion group grows and the discussion topics get
                                      more involved, there is a tendency people shun from pointing out
                                      others' mistakes, or correcting their own mistakes. So, I like to
                                      take this opportunity to invite members who have never voiced out to
                                      come forward, raise questions, and give your opinions, but please do
                                      so wisely. This is important, otherwise it defeats the purpose of a
                                      discussion group. It even defeats the good name of the Dhamma!

                                      Svakkhato Bhagavata Dhammo
                                      Sanditthiko Akaliko
                                      Ehi-passiko Opanayiko
                                      Paccattam veditabbo viññuhi ti.

                                      Sangaha Sutta:
                                      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-032.html

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                                        Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina, Kare, Mike, Stephen, Gunnar, Rahula and
                                        friends,

                                        as I browsed through the ATI site earlier, I come across yet another
                                        thread of advice by the Buddha, the Kula Sutta:
                                        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-255.html

                                      • "Kåre A. Lie"
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                                          At 10:50 04.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

                                          >Dear Kåre,
                                          >op 03-04-2005 22:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:
                                          > >
                                          > > The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
                                          > > book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
                                          > > useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
                                          > > concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.
                                          >N: That is interesting. I find that the Brahmaviharas help much for our
                                          >social life. Police officers in Thailand were so interested in this subject,
                                          >and Acharn Sujin gave them a talk about it. This inspired me to write some
                                          >dialogues on the Brahma Viharas I had with my husband. This may be too much
                                          >for the scope of your book. In case you want to see it, it is on:
                                          >http://www.zolag.co.uk/
                                          >Nina.

                                          Dear Nina,

                                          I very much agree. The Brahmaviharas are very important for our daily life.
                                          I have already given them a prominent place in my book manuscript.

                                          It was also interesting to read the article you gave a link to. But my book
                                          is aiming at people without any special knowledge or background of
                                          Buddhism, so I try to keep things a little more simple and less technical.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                                            At 09:12 04.04.2005 +0000, you wrote:

                                            >Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina, Kare, Mike, Stephen, Gunnar, Rahula and
                                            >friends,
                                            >
                                            >as I browsed through the ATI site earlier, I come across yet another
                                            >thread of advice by the Buddha, the Kula Sutta:
                                            >http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-255.html
                                            >

                                            >metta,
                                            >Yong Peng.

                                            Thank you. There are many gems of worldly wisdom in the Tipitaka.