Re: [Pali] Pali Day by Day 4/01/2005 [D138]

  • Ven. Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 1247 , Apr 1, 2005
      >9. They took the Three Refuges and the Five Precepts today.
      > te / rakkhi.msu / tiini / sara.naani / ca / pañca /
      > siilaani / ca / ajja
      > Te ajja tiini sara.naani ca pañca siilaani ca rakkhi.msu.

      Dear Yong Peng,

      This is correct, I think, but just a note that the standard word for
      "Three Refuges" is "tisara.na" (nt. sing.), as in the "threefold
      refuge".

      Also, I don't know what verb I would have used here... I'm thinking
      that "rakkh" might not be suitable for "taking", especially in context
      of the three refuges. The only thing I can think of is to say "te
      ajja tisara.na.m gatvaa pa~ncasiilaani rakkhi.msu", but that is
      further from the literal :) Maybe "te ajja tisara.nena saha
      pa~ncasiilaani samaadiyi.msu (took upon themselves)", or "te ajja
      tisara.nena saha pa~ncasiilaani yaaci.msu (requested)" which is in
      accordance with the customary way of taking refuges and precepts...

      Just a thought...

      siilena samaadiyatvaa sabbe sattaa nibbaanasara.na.m sacchikarontu!

      suma"ngalaa hontu,

      Yuttadhammo
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011