Re: [Pali] AN 6.01.03,4

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 1:18 AM
      Venerable Bhante Yuttadhammo,
      thank you very much.
      op 31-03-2005 05:53 schreef Ven. Yuttadhammo op buffer@...:
      I spent the last little while trying to figure out why my last translation
      hadn't been sent, when in fact I believe it has, since Nina has replied
      already.
      N: Next week your computer is not to blame, since I will be away and cannot
      react to your translations.
      Bh: So, here is AN 6.01.03 and 04
      > Comments:
      >
      > saddhindriyena = with the faculty of conviction
      > viiriyindriyena = with the faculty of vigor
      N: Five qualities are "spiritual faculties" that have to be developed, they
      are among the factors pertaining to enlightenment. When they have been
      developed they become unshakable by their opposites and are also called
      powers, balas. In the following suttas they both pertain to the arahat.
      Indriya stresses predominance and bala their unshakableness.
      Saddha has many aspects and it is difficult to find one word that covers all
      of them. It is often translated as faith, but I am inclined to translate it
      as confidence, confidence in wholesomeness.
      In Pali the term pasaada is also used and this means both clearness and
      confidence.
      The Tiika of Visuddhimagga Ch XIV, 140, explains that it removes impurity of
      the accompanying dhammas, or that its function is the purifying of a person,
      and thus, its function is purifying (pasaadana).
      We should think of the purifying gem that removes impurities in water.
      Confidence is an indriya, a controlling faculty. It governs the accompanying
      dhammas, citta and cetasikas, in its quality of purifying and of confiding
      in kusala. It overcomes lack of confidence in kusala, without confidence
      kusala citta and its accompanying cetasikas could not arise. The Atthasalini
      (I, Part IV, Chapter I, 119) states: <From the overcoming of lack of faith,
      faith is a controlling faculty in the sense of predominance, or in its
      characteristic of decision it exercises lordship (over associated states).>
      Confidence is also conviction about the Triple Gem, about kusala, but this
      aspect is not the only one.
      As to viiriyindriyena = with the faculty of vigor, viriya can be translates
      as vigor, or energy, courage.
      Upasampajja: another option could be: he dwells having reached these
      attainments.

      Co : [1] Tatiyacatutthesu khii.naasavo kathito.
      In the third and the fourth sutta the person who has eradicated the
      intoxicants (the arahat) has been spoken of.
      With respect,
      Nina.
      A"nguttaranikaayo