Harps

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      --- "Kåre A. Lie" <alberlie@...> wrote:

      > Since we are talking of harps, it seems that in
      > Viking age Scandinavia the
      > word "harpa" was used about any plucked string
      > instrument.

      > There is a story
      > about Gunnar, who was captured by his enemies.

      Not me...

      > But if we look closely at those carvings,
      > we see that the
      > instrument Gunnar is playing with his toes, is not
      > what we today would call
      > a harp, but a lyre.

      If you take a look at
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew%27s_harp>, you will
      find a "harp" with no strings, and one which even he
      would have found it difficult to play with his toes,
      unless he had practiced a lot of Hatha Yoga first (you
      have to stick in in your mouth to get some sound out
      of it).

      Gunnar

      gunnargallmo@...