Re: secular sara.na.m in Pali, was Re: [Pali] Sara.na.m

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 29, 2005
      Dharma friends,

      I have the VCD myself (hope we are referring to the same thing). However I notice
      that the movie story is very much different from the Majjhima or Commentary version.

      In the movie Mara in the disguise of some high god seems to take all the blame.

      Anyway, it is a movie fiction and should be taken that way. For those who do not know
      the original story, it might have some impact that evil does not pay.

      Sukhi

      Piya

      "Ven. Yuttadhammo" wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > > Those who wish may get a copy of the DVD for US$7 here:
      > > http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=9919
      >
      > Yong Peng, I'm sorry but this is NOT the DVD... I was hoping somehow
      > to get it, because then I could show it to the foreigners here... as
      > far as I can see, this is the VCD edition...  The VCD is good, but no
      > English subtitles.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Yuttadhammo

    • Ven. Yuttadhammo
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 29, 2005
        Dear Piya,

        > I have the VCD myself (hope we are referring to the same thing).
        > However I notice
        > that the movie story is very much different from the Majjhima or
        > Commentary version.

        True that it is different, but movies are usually like this... I think
        it is pretty close...

        1) the idea that Angulimala's problems start with the teacher's wife
        2) the killing of 1000 people
        3) the attempted murder of the mother
        4) the scene where the Buddha tells Angulimala that he is the one who
        should stop.

        I particularly like the scene with the Lord Buddha, where Angulimala
        sees impermanence, suffering and non-self. Apparantly this is the
        same thing that happened with Luang Poh Sot, a very famous Samatha
        master in Thailand who went to practice at Wat Mahadhatu. He was
        famous for his mental images which he called "dhammakaya". When he
        was told to acknowledge "seeing", after a few days the "dhammakaya"
        suddenly disappeared and he was left scared. I'm told that his words
        of praise for the teaching at Wat Mahadhatu can still be found in
        section five.

        > In the movie Mara in the disguise of some high god seems to take all
        > the blame.

        In the Majjhima there is no mention of why he started killing... that
        only comes in the commentaries. One reason why it is different is
        that Thai people are very, very careful about the Lord Buddha. I once
        mentioned to a Thai monk about making a movie about the Lord Buddha's
        life. He turned to me and said "would you ever dare to pretend to be
        the Lord Buddha?" Apparently in the past versions of Angulimala, all
        they showed were the Buddha's feet, walking. In this one, they show
        His whole shape, and even features from far away. But I think there
        is reason they don't have the part with the Buddha talking to King
        Pasenadi...

        > Anyway, it is a movie fiction and should be taken that way. For
        > those who do not know
        > the original story, it might have some impact that evil does not
        > pay.

        Respectfully, I think it has more impact than that. I think it does a
        good job of showing Buddhism from the outside. It shows wrong view
        and the result of wrong view; it shows how wonderful the Lord Buddha
        was without involving Him directly in the movie. It shows how pure is
        the going-forth into monkhood. The one thing I was not impressed with
        was Angulimala's soliloquy at the end, where he says that all beings
        come from the same source and when we die, we return to the same
        source. He says that suffering comes from thinking we are seperate
        entities. To be fair, it sounds like he is talking about the body,
        which of course does return to the same source, but the whole "we are
        one" thing seems more like the Upanisads than Buddhism...

        Please tell me, can you make out the words to the music in the
        background?

        Metta,

        Yuttadhammo