Re: Welcome to Pali

  • yogakkhema
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
      Hello,
      <<<< Samsara is often compared to an ocean,Samsarasagara, and what is
      required in the ocean for saftey/refuge is an island. Anyone have any other
      ideas on why Island or lamp is used?

      In my inexperienced opinion 'attadiipa' just means 'self-reliant,
      self-supported', with no strings attached. Commentaries just give
      useful hints about the probable context. The explanation of the suttas
      themselves is keeping track of the four bases of mindfulness in and of
      themselves.>>>>

      An interesting clue to what is meant by attadiipa is also the words used
      with it. In this case it is used with sara.na (refuge). Diipa in the sense
      of island also has a history of meaning of place of refuge, or shelter.

      Yogakkhema

    • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
        Hello,

        y> An interesting clue to what is meant by attadiipa is also the words used
        y> with it. In this case it is used with sara.na (refuge). Diipa in the sense
        y> of island also has a history of meaning of place of refuge, or shelter.

        And keeping track of four frames of reference is one's proper range,
        ancestral territory, refuge.

        See:
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/sn47-6.html
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/sn47-7.html

        Dimitry
      • Kumaara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 11 , May 21, 2002
          Dear all,

          I've been away of the group for some time. Let me re-answer the moderator's questions:

          At 03:48 PM 19-05-02, Pali Moderator wrote:
          >For a start, you may want to introduce yourself to the group, with the help of one or more of the following questions:
          >1. Are you learning/teaching the Pali language?

          I'm learning. Currently, I'm working through the Bhikkhupaatimokkha under the guidance of my aacariya, Ven Aggacitta.

          >2. Do you read and study the Tipitaka?

          Yes, presently, more of the Vinaya Pitaka, followed by the Sutta Pitaka.

          >3. Were/Are you involved in any translation works of the Tipitaka?

          As my aacariya and I go through the Paatimokkha we work out an English translation of it. Presently, we've completed Nissaggiya Paacittiya.

          peace

          Ven Kumâra
        • Jou Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 9, 2003
              Dear Moderator & Friends,

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 7, 2003
                Hello, my good friends in the dharma. My name is Jeff Brooks, I live in
                Tucson, AZ and I sat my first vipassana retreat with Robert Hover here in
                1985. I have been an active member of the vipassana and other contemplative
                communities for 30 years. I now publish an electronic newsletter called the
                Southwest Insight E'letter, which is focused on the practice of vipassana and
                sangha related issues. I also publish a resource guide for retreats and
                centers in the Southwest. Back issues for both are available on the
                Albuquerque Vipassana Sangha website at
                http://www.cs.unm.edu/~richards/sangha/home.html.

                I arrived here in your webspace while seeking a forum for dialog on
                Theravadan Buddhism and the practice of vipassana. I look forward to the
                company of your sangha.

                May you all be free from suffering,

                Jeff
              • nemo erehwon
                Message 7 of 11 , May 28, 2003
                  Dear Pali group,

                  I am interested in learning more about Pali. Thank you for posting your resources.

                  Thank you,

                  Godaisanji

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 28 4:47 AM
                    Dear Min Kyaw,