Re: [Pali] Pali Grammars

  • Ong Teng Kee
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2005
      geiger's book is more about history and pali compare
      to sankrit/prakrit but perniola is more like simple
      pali manual book by ven.buddhadatta and
      ven.narada,etc.

      --- "Ven. Yuttadhammo" <buffer@...> wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > I am looking at the Pali Text Society's web page,
      > and wondering what
      > is the difference between the two Pali grammars
      > listed there? One
      > is by Perniola, and one is by Geiger. Are either
      > preferable, or
      > neither? Please advise.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Yuttadhammo

      > --------------------~-->
      > Has someone you know been affected by illness or
      > disease?
      > Network for Good is THE place to support health
      > awareness efforts!

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/b0VolB/TM

      __________________________________
      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • rett
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2005
        >Dear Friends,
        >
        >I am looking at the Pali Text Society's web page, and wondering what
        >is the difference between the two Pali grammars listed there? One
        >is by Perniola, and one is by Geiger. Are either preferable, or
        >neither? Please advise.

        Geiger is indispensible (though far from complete). It's especially
        helpful for reading the Gaathaa language with its many archaic forms.

        best regards,

        /Rett