Pali Grammars

  • Ven. Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      I am looking at the Pali Text Society's web page, and wondering what
      is the difference between the two Pali grammars listed there? One
      is by Perniola, and one is by Geiger. Are either preferable, or
      neither? Please advise.

      Best wishes,

      Yuttadhammo
    • Ong Teng Kee
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2005
        geiger's book is more about history and pali compare
        to sankrit/prakrit but perniola is more like simple
        pali manual book by ven.buddhadatta and
        ven.narada,etc.

        --- "Ven. Yuttadhammo" <buffer@...> wrote:

        > Dear Friends,
        >
        > I am looking at the Pali Text Society's web page,
        > and wondering what
        > is the difference between the two Pali grammars
        > listed there? One
        > is by Perniola, and one is by Geiger. Are either
        > preferable, or
        > neither? Please advise.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Yuttadhammo

        > --------------------~-->
        > Has someone you know been affected by illness or
        > disease?
        > Network for Good is THE place to support health
        > awareness efforts!

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/b0VolB/TM

        __________________________________
        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
      • rett
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2005
          >Dear Friends,
          >
          >I am looking at the Pali Text Society's web page, and wondering what
          >is the difference between the two Pali grammars listed there? One
          >is by Perniola, and one is by Geiger. Are either preferable, or
          >neither? Please advise.

          Geiger is indispensible (though far from complete). It's especially
          helpful for reading the Gaathaa language with its many archaic forms.

          best regards,

          /Rett