Re: [Pali] AN 6.10.9

  • Ven. Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2005
      > N: aanisa.mse is the object of sampassamaana, this form is correct. By
      > clearly seeing the benefits.

      Okay, I'll take your word on it... in that case, I'm more inclined to give up my
      translation in favour of the PTS way. I would tentatively translate it thus:

      Cha, bhikkhave, aanisa.mse sampassamaanena alameva bhikkhunaa sabbadhammesu anodhi.m
      karitvaa anattasa~n~na.m upa.t.thaapetu.m.
      Six benefits, when rightly seen by a Bhikkhu, do verily allow for the perception of
      non-self to be procured, having been made without limit in regards to all dhammas.

      It is interesting, I didn't think to translate it this way, because I have never heard of
      the idea that the seeing of potential benefits could be a means of developing anicca,
      dukkha and anatta sa~n~naa, but can see how just hearing about these benefits could indeed
      be a great help to yogis.

      Best wishes,

      Yuttadhammo
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2005
        Venerable Bhante Yuttadhammo,

        op 04-03-2005 02:13 schreef Ven. Yuttadhammo op buffer@...:

        > Cha, bhikkhave, aanisa.mse sampassamaanena alameva bhikkhunaa sabbadhammesu
        > anodhi.m
        > karitvaa anattasa~n~na.m upa.t.thaapetu.m.
        > Six benefits, when rightly seen by a Bhikkhu, do verily allow for the
        > perception of
        > non-self to be procured, having been made without limit in regards to all
        > dhammas.
        >
        > It is interesting, I didn't think to translate it this way, because I have
        > never heard of
        > the idea that the seeing of potential benefits could be a means of developing
        > anicca,
        > dukkha and anatta sa~n~naa, but can see how just hearing about these benefits
        > could indeed
        > be a great help to yogis.
        N: I appreciate your remarks. Seeing the benefits of developing
        understanding of the three characteristics can encourage a person in the
        long process of this development.
        With respect,