Re: [Pali] AN 6.10.10, compounds, help needed.

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
      Venerable Bhante Yuttadhammo,

      op 02-03-2005 01:37 schreef Ven. Yuttadhammo op buffer@...:

      > Here's AN 6.10.10
      >
      > Comments:
      >
      > 1) "imaasu ca tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitasikkho hoti" is here translated as "and
      > in these
      > three trainings he is a trainee trained" but I am not sure exactly whether
      > "sikkhitasikkho" means "one trained in a training" or not.
      N: I find compounds difficult, but I would think: a trainee who is trained.
      PED takes sikkha as adjective, but I learnt that there are not real adj in
      Pali, it is like a noun. Sikkhita: is the partic of sikkhati.

      Bh: 2) "vivattayisa.myojana.m" = "removed the binds" - I think it
      literally means
      > "the ties are untied".
      N: I just have a guess: Warder, p. 255, a junction vowel y before i. The
      form seems aorist like the preceding one: acchecchi, he cut off. The
      singular of sa.myojana.m is odd. He removed the fetters. A difficult
      compound, and I am ringing the bell, hoping an expert will help.
      > -------------------------------------
      >>
      > 10. Aanisa'msavaggo
      > 10. Bhavasutta.m
      >
      > "Tayome, bhikkhave, bhavaa pahaatabbaa, tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m.

      > To me, o bhikkhus, three becomings should be abandoned; and one should train
      > in three
      > trainings.

      > Katame tayo bhavaa pahaatabbaa? Kaamabhavo, ruupabhavo, aruupabhavo- ime tayo
      > bhavaa
      > pahaatabbaa.
      > In regards to which, should three becomings be abandoned? Sensual becoming,
      > material becoming, and immaterial becoming.
      N:Instead of material: fine-material, so that one knows: the result of
      ruupaavacara jhaana.
      Bh: Katamaasu tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m? Adhisiilasikkhaaya,
      > adhicittasikkhaaya,
      > adhipa~n~naasikkhaaya- imaasu tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m.
      > In regards to which, should three trainings be trained in? Training in
      > higher-morality,
      > training in higher mind, and training in higher wisdom /
      N: Citta stands here for concentration. These are the higher siila, samaadhi
      and paññaa of the eightfold Path.

      Bh: Yato kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhuno ime tayo bhavaa pahiinaa honti, imaasu
      ca tiisu
      > sikkhaasu
      > sikkhitasikkho hoti- aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave, bhikkhu acchecchi ta.nha.m,
      > vivattayisa.myojana.m, sammaa maanaabhisamayaa antamakaasi dukkhassaa"ti.
      > Indeed, oh bhikkhus, from whence these three becomings are abandoned by a
      > bhikkhu and in
      > these three trainings he is a trainee trained - o monks, one says this monk
      > has cut off
      > thirst; has removed the binds; from the right penetration of conceit has made
      > an end to suffering.
      N: I would prefer: the bonds or the fetters.
      with respect,