AN 6.10.10

  • Ven. Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      Here's AN 6.10.10

      Comments:

      1) "imaasu ca tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitasikkho hoti" is here translated as "and in these
      three trainings he is a trainee trained" but I am not sure exactly whether
      "sikkhitasikkho" means "one trained in a training" or not. Please comment.

      2) "vivattayisa.myojana.m" = "removed the binds" - I think it literally means "the ties
      are untied".

      -------------------------------------

      A'nguttaranikaayo

      Chakkanipaatapaa.li

      10. Aanisa'msavaggo

      10. Bhavasutta.m

      "Tayome, bhikkhave, bhavaa pahaatabbaa, tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m.
      /three to me /o bhikkhus /becomings /should be abandoned /in three /trainings /should be
      trained in /
      To me, o bhikkhus, three becomings should be abandoned; and one should train in three
      trainings.

      Katame tayo bhavaa pahaatabbaa? Kaamabhavo, ruupabhavo, aruupabhavo- ime tayo bhavaa
      pahaatabbaa.
      /In regards to which /three /becomings /should be abandoned /Sensual becoming /material
      becoming /immaterial becoming /
      In regards to which, should three becomings be abandoned? Sensual becoming, material
      becoming, and immaterial becoming.

      Katamaasu tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m? Adhisiilasikkhaaya, adhicittasikkhaaya,
      adhipa~n~naasikkhaaya- imaasu tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m.
      /in regards to which /three /trainings /should be trained in /training in higher-morality
      /training in higher mind /training in higher wisdom /
      In regards to which, should three trainings be trained in? Training in higher-morality,
      training in higher mind, and training in higher wisdom /

      Yato kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhuno ime tayo bhavaa pahiinaa honti, imaasu ca tiisu sikkhaasu
      sikkhitasikkho hoti- aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave, bhikkhu acchecchi ta.nha.m,
      vivattayisa.myojana.m, sammaa maanaabhisamayaa antamakaasi dukkhassaa"ti.
      /From whence /indeed /o bhikkhus /by a bhikkhu /these /three /becomings /abandoned /are
      /in these /and /three /trainings /a trainee trained in /is /this /one says /o bhikkhus
      /monk /has cut off /thirst / removed the binds /right /from the penetration of conceit
      /has made an end /to suffering /
      Indeed, oh bhikkhus, from whence these three becomings are abandoned by a bhikkhu and in
      these three trainings he is a trainee trained - o monks, one says this monk has cut off
      thirst; has removed the binds; from the right penetration of conceit has made an end to
      suffering.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        Venerable Bhante Yuttadhammo,

        op 02-03-2005 01:37 schreef Ven. Yuttadhammo op buffer@...:

        > Here's AN 6.10.10
        >
        > Comments:
        >
        > 1) "imaasu ca tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitasikkho hoti" is here translated as "and
        > in these
        > three trainings he is a trainee trained" but I am not sure exactly whether
        > "sikkhitasikkho" means "one trained in a training" or not.
        N: I find compounds difficult, but I would think: a trainee who is trained.
        PED takes sikkha as adjective, but I learnt that there are not real adj in
        Pali, it is like a noun. Sikkhita: is the partic of sikkhati.

        Bh: 2) "vivattayisa.myojana.m" = "removed the binds" - I think it
        literally means
        > "the ties are untied".
        N: I just have a guess: Warder, p. 255, a junction vowel y before i. The
        form seems aorist like the preceding one: acchecchi, he cut off. The
        singular of sa.myojana.m is odd. He removed the fetters. A difficult
        compound, and I am ringing the bell, hoping an expert will help.
        > -------------------------------------
        >>
        > 10. Aanisa'msavaggo
        > 10. Bhavasutta.m
        >
        > "Tayome, bhikkhave, bhavaa pahaatabbaa, tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m.

        > To me, o bhikkhus, three becomings should be abandoned; and one should train
        > in three
        > trainings.

        > Katame tayo bhavaa pahaatabbaa? Kaamabhavo, ruupabhavo, aruupabhavo- ime tayo
        > bhavaa
        > pahaatabbaa.
        > In regards to which, should three becomings be abandoned? Sensual becoming,
        > material becoming, and immaterial becoming.
        N:Instead of material: fine-material, so that one knows: the result of
        ruupaavacara jhaana.
        Bh: Katamaasu tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m? Adhisiilasikkhaaya,
        > adhicittasikkhaaya,
        > adhipa~n~naasikkhaaya- imaasu tiisu sikkhaasu sikkhitabba.m.
        > In regards to which, should three trainings be trained in? Training in
        > higher-morality,
        > training in higher mind, and training in higher wisdom /
        N: Citta stands here for concentration. These are the higher siila, samaadhi
        and paññaa of the eightfold Path.

        Bh: Yato kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhuno ime tayo bhavaa pahiinaa honti, imaasu
        ca tiisu
        > sikkhaasu
        > sikkhitasikkho hoti- aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave, bhikkhu acchecchi ta.nha.m,
        > vivattayisa.myojana.m, sammaa maanaabhisamayaa antamakaasi dukkhassaa"ti.
        > Indeed, oh bhikkhus, from whence these three becomings are abandoned by a
        > bhikkhu and in
        > these three trainings he is a trainee trained - o monks, one says this monk
        > has cut off
        > thirst; has removed the binds; from the right penetration of conceit has made
        > an end to suffering.
        N: I would prefer: the bonds or the fetters.
        with respect,