Re: [Pali] welcome new members

  • mangesh dahiwale
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
      Dear John,
      I have read the Book"A New Course in Reading Pali" by
      Gair and Karunatillake. It is a very good book to
      start off.
      With Metta,
      Mangesh

      --- John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote:
      > A very warm welcome to all the new members that seem
      > to have joined this list over the last week or so -
      > Lenny, Mangesh, Yufen, Doug, and possibly others.
      >
      > I'm feeling very pleased with myself since I've just
      > completed the de Silva "Pali Primer" in it's
      > entirety.
      > I can strongly recommend this book to those of you
      > who are just starting. It has its drawbacks, but it
      > is very accessible to someone with little or no
      > knowledge of the language. Yong Peng (the fearless
      > moderator of this list) has kindly been presenting
      > chapter summaries every couple of weeks or so. For
      > those of you just starting to work through it, I
      > recommend you review prior messages on this list for
      > the chapters that you are working on.
      >
      > Now I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the "A
      > New Course in Reading Pali" by Gair and
      > Karunatillake.
      > One of the good things about this book is all the
      > material in it is direct from the suttas. If there
      > are others on this list who are starting on this
      > book,
      > please let me know.
      >
      > With mettaa to all,
      > John

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Robert Didham
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
        Hi John
        Yes but not as bad as a published translation many years ago of a work into
        Russian that translated the English expression "out of sight, out of mind"
        into Russian as "invisible idiot"!!

        Cheers
        Robert