Re: [Pali] Re: PALI SANDHI

  • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
      Hi Lenny,

      Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
      on-line website translator at http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

      You are welcome to read my Russian site http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
      using the same translation service.

      The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that you
      have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
      read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
      Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
      further information.

      Metta,
      Dimitry
    • Lennart Zieger
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
        Dear Dimitry!

        Pleased that you know about those great Sri Lankan
        teachers...
        It is true, I was living for a couple of yeas at
        Venerable Nananandas aranya as a monk and pupil of
        him. He knows not only the canon by heart and has
        great knowledge of the commentaries, but really put it
        into practise... under Ven. Nanaramas guidance he
        became somewhat his formost pupils and lives nowadays
        a very secluded live with five Austrian monks and some
        sinhalese monks. All there profit from his intrinsic
        knowledge .. he is somewhat a "secret" tip among
        sinhalese aranya bhikkhus. Because of personal reasons
        i unfortunately had to disrobe, but i recommend to
        meet him, once you come to Sri Lanka. If you like i
        post you part of his islandwide famous NIBBANA
        sermons, which are really great, as they sho, that the
        what the suttas tell is, correctly´understood
        appliable even today in meditation....

        after all, he encourages meditators...

        abourt ven. Amatagavesi i have my doubts, met some of
        his supporters and former pupils...

        mettâya

        Lenny

        --- "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
        <sangha@...> schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

        > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it
        > with the help of
        > on-line website translator at
        > http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .
        >
        > You are welcome to read my Russian site
        > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
        > using the same translation service.
        >
        > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting.
        > It seems that you
        > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan
        > teachers. I have
        > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and
        > Ven. Amatha
        > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very
        > grateful for any
        > further information.
        >
        > Metta,
        > Dimitry

        Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
      • kotus123
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
          Dimitry,

          HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.
          http:// geocities.com/lenni_lop/ gets translated but when I click on
          the Meditation button on the left it doesn't go any further.
          So I went back to the translator page and typed in the url as the
          meditation page url appears in my browser window, in the translator
          url box as follows
          http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/meditation.htm
          but the result is only a blank page.
          PLEASE help - dying to read the info there. I have read Ven
          Nanarama's Seven Stages of Purification & have seen a another title
          which I forget and haven't read. Can you please give me the titles
          and if possible ISBN #, publisher name etc of teh books by Ven
          Nananada and Amita Gavesi. Regret troubling you.
          Hope you recived the direct post re Pali primer and Thanks again.
          Metta,
          Renuka.

          Dimitry Ivakhnenko wrote:
          > Hi Lenny,
          >
          > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
          > on-line website translator at
          http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

          > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that
          you
          > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
          > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
          > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
          > further information.
        • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
            Hi Renuka,

            k> HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.

            Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and applied some
            patience.

            What can I say? Try again. Geocities have bad connection and pop-up
            windows, so sometimes large files just don't load.

            Or, better yet, ask Lenny himself for full information ;^)

            In the end of this message you will find a passage from
            'Meditation.htm' relating to the modern meditation movements, in
            computer translation (somewhat corrected).

            Another title by Ven Nanarama is 'The Seven Contemplations of Insight'
            published by BPS.

            The booklet by Ven. Nanananda that I have read is:

            Seeing Through: A Guide to Insight Meditation
            Printed for free distribution by J.Alwis
            T.P.G.N.Leelaratne & U.Sapukotana
            (no year, no ISBN, no publisher indicated)

            There is also his book downloadable from BPS:

            From Tupsy-turvydom to Wisdom
            http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/ttw/text-1.pdf

            The meditation instructions of Ven. Amatha Gavesi are available at:
            http://web.singnet.com.sg/~vajiro/9_insight.htm

            Glad to help you,
            Dimitry

            8. Theravada meditation movements of the modern age

            In this connection, I do not want to limit myself only to Sri Lanka,
            and also in more than one short enumeration:

            One may attach big importance to the Birman Vipassana-centres represented
            everywhere in the country which were involved
            considerably in the meditation euphoria like we find them in
            Myanmar to expand among the sinhalesischen nonprofessional's
            Buddhists. But the case was with far less success than in Burma. Some
            eminent sinhalesische monk-older practiced criticism of the
            Vipassana-only Attitude of the Birman centres and cared for disconcertion
            and scepticism. Unfortunately, must also be mentioned that the quality
            of these centres in the course of the last ten years has got worse
            drastically. This concerns not only two biggest centres, the
            international Lanka Vipassana Centre in Colombo under the
            administration Ven. Pemasiri and the international Vipassana
            Meditation Centre in Kanduboda under the administration Ven.
            Madawala Upali (both by different teaching views the whole Birman
            Vipassana Medal group ( the Shweyin " Nikaya in two warehouses split)
            but also many their twig monasteries scattered about the whole
            country(land) (how zB. in a suburb Gampahas) in this tradition
            numerous books appeared to the meditation. The most important
            personality and author of innumerable books is the late a few years
            ago Rerukane Chandananda Mahathera.

            In the area from samatha however, meditation does itself in Sri Lanka
            far more:

            Here there are some " monastische groups similar to sect and
            nonprofessional's movements from what

            The respectable Amatagavesi, to itself also in other sudostasiat. To
            countries(lands) of big popularity pleases (first of all Singapore,
            one of the biggest pecuniary resources sinhalesischer buddh.
            Meditation movements) and by a completely new-designed meditation
            system that complicates very much and relatively unleaned in the
            Palikanon should be, falls out.

            Only a good name retains from a few decades still so praiseworthy in
            the book Forest Monks Of Sri Lanka " represented Sri Kalyani Samstha,
            a community of the forest monasteries whose group is estimated
            at about 250. First of all by the temple monks of the cities in the
            medal to carried partly frightening signs of decay (money and property
            assemblage, political activity, sexual misdemeanours) rapidly spread
            under sinhalesischen Sangha. Although such tendencies again release
            counterreforms and solved, brings the consensus of the wide population
            which pursues this development, certainly, anxiously, however, no
            interest in it has to intervene (on account of possible bad karma that
            from it could appear so the propaganda of some of the more modern "
            monks), these quickly to a hold. Also aggressive nonprofessional's
            organizations like the Vinaya-Wardhana strengthen rather the distrust
            in reform attempts of nonprofessional's side which one, however,
            earlier or later, can not becomes renounce.

            To such a small reform group within the Waldmonchsanghas the strict
            monk's municipality can around the respectable one Nanananda to the
            Mitirigala which carry, however, again only too often character
            similar to sect and with those of alleged Arahats and media is teeming
            . for a moment, anyhow, groups exciting for mostly sensation.

            Then Versteut we still can in Sri Lanka to forests, ascetic meditative
            monks find: first of all who is near Adam Peak should know that we
            have here one of the favorite national parks of meditative monks. He
            solved with it the Yala national park from which can not grant the
            care basis of the monks by frightened and in consequence wandered
            through nonprofessionals by the belligerent discussions with the LLTE
            any more.

            As an island-wide known and estimated meditation teacher would still
            be named last of all the Mr. Ananda de Silva teaching in Kalutara,
            unfortunately, however, pupils in the 50th to such celebrity got
            already late Sri Matara Nanarama Mahathera (on which nearly all
            current meditation masters refer). Mr de Silva could move big
            shifts of the population to regular meditating with his system
            there aimed on loving goodness.
          • Renuka Weerasekera
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
              Hello Dimitry,

              A gentle prod towards a lesson in 'khanti'.Yes, I
              will.
              And thankyou.

              > Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and
              > applied some
              > patience.
              >
              > What can I say? Try again. >

              metta,