beginners basic study outline

  • R Arber
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2005
      Dear Members:
      It has been suggested to me that I follow the following study outline, but
      since I've been out of school many many years, and the following outline
      appears to apply more to the study of a European type language it might not
      be the most appropriate route. Therefore I am asking if in your mind "it is
      or is not" a good basic approach to the study of the language of Pali.
      Please see as follows:
      Stage 1. First learn meaning and pronunciation of some Pali words (i.e. what
      they mean in English).
      Stage 2. Then learn some verbs.
      Stage 3. Next learn how to conjugate those verbs; so to be able to build
      simple sentences.
      Stage 4. Learn the Pali Alphabet
      Stage 5. Now at this stage start studying Pali Grammar.

      Any and all help will be gratefully appreciated.
      Thank you,
      Bob
    • rett
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2005
        >Dear Members:
        >It has been suggested to me that I follow the following study outline, but
        >since I've been out of school many many years, and the following outline
        >appears to apply more to the study of a European type language it might not
        >be the most appropriate route. Therefore I am asking if in your mind "it is
        >or is not" a good basic approach to the study of the language of Pali.
        >Please see as follows:
        >Stage 1. First learn meaning and pronunciation of some Pali words (i.e. what
        >they mean in English).
        >Stage 2. Then learn some verbs.
        >Stage 3. Next learn how to conjugate those verbs; so to be able to build
        >simple sentences.

        At this point you would also need to have learned some of the basic
        case-endings for nouns. So a certain amount of 'Stage 5' would
        already need to have taken place.

        >Stage 4. Learn the Pali Alphabet

        Pali doesn't have any unique alphabet, but can be written in any of
        the major South Asian and South-East Asian scripts, as well as in the
        Roman alphabet with diacritics. You'll need to have learned the
        diacritics before being able to to Stage 1.

        >Stage 5. Now at this stage start studying Pali Grammar.

        I'd say that I agree with your assessment that this outline would
        apply to learning a language like Spanish or French or even Swedish,
        but it wouldn't work for German, much less for Russian, Greek or
        Pali. You mentioned in your other post that you are waiting for some
        books to arrive. Does that include any graded courses like
        Gair/Karunatillake or Warder? If so, then the best basic approach is
        just to follow the lessons in order, since they'll introduce the
        various topics of grammar in bite-sized bits with example sentences.

        You also asked:

        >I'm using "Normyn" font, I guess this is ok for the time being for
        >elementary studies?

        Yes, you can get far with just that font.

        >Why does a student need these other types of font, like what is being
        >discussed by the group?

        To be able to view (or prepare) webpages and documents that use those
        fonts. Don't worry about it for now. When the need becomes acute,
        then you'll know it's time to figure that stuff out.

        best regards,

        /Rett