Pali script

  • Gabriel Bittar, PhD, Geneva University
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
      >A couple of questions:
      >
      >Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
      >from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)
      >
      >In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
      >Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
      >written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali, or is it
      >simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
      >script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
      >Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
      >European languages?
      >
      >Metta,
      >Doug

      Dear Doug, welcome. From the way I understand the somewhat complex history
      of Pâli, it is mainly a vernacular language which has been put into writing
      in different places using the main local script available at the time. So I
      do not think there is a "normal" script, but there is the point that some
      of the most ancient texts available, or those serving to define the Canon,
      are indeed written in Sinhala or Burmese or Sanskrit etc.

      Mettâ-cittena

      Gabriel Jîvasattha Bittar

      I I
      I Jacqueline "Gotamî Jîvarakkhî" Bittar I
      I Dr Gabriel "Ananda Jîvasattha" Bittar, I
      I PhD University of Geneva I
      I email: bittar@... I
      I bittar@... I
      I phone +61 8 8553 7442 , fax +61 8 8553 7444 I
      I mob. ph. +61 4 2743 5148 I
      I I
      I Institut Suisse de Bioinformatique I
      I Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics I
      I http://www.isb-sib.ch/DEA/plan_etudes.html I
      I I
      I Université Bouddhique Européenne I
      I http://perso.club-internet.fr/ube I
      I /programme-intervenants.html I
      I I
      I À Bientôt Seayu Lodge, http://www.seayu.com I
      I I
      I Buddhâyatana, http://www.buddhayatana.org I
      I buddhayatana@... I
      I I
      I 4/5 Warawee road / 34 Falie court I
      I PO box 281, American River, Kangaroo Island I
      I South Australia 5221 I
      I I
      I GMT +9h30 (allow for +1h when "summer time" in SA) I
      I I
      I a'niccâ vata san'khârâ I
      I ( a'niccaa vata san'khaaraa ) I
      I "impermanent are structural fluxes" I
      I "instables sont les flux structurels" I
      I Siddhârtha (Siddhaartha) Gautama Buddha I
      I I
    • Ong Teng Kee
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2002
        Hi,

        When people in the west from pali text society first want to edit the pali
        text from leaves into roman script ,they have to use sinhala,burmese,thai
        leaves(cambodia script)etc.There are no such things like pali text been kept
        in devanagari and roman script in those palm leaves.Nowadays if you want to
        edit a text ,you still have to learn from those leaves.

      • sakyaumanathan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2002
          Namo Buddha

          I am a new member of Pali Group and a new learner of Pali Language.
          But I strangly belive that Pali was the language of my fore-fathers.
          We lost our anciemt language due to various social, historical
          reasons. Pali was the first language in India which was litrary
          having with Gramer and script and all other script and gramers were
          developed on the basis of that.

          The Devnagari, Tamil, Sinhali, Telugu etc. have direct link with Pali
          Script. we call this as Parami or Brami. Bodhisatta Asoka used this
          for his inscription. For long time it was unearthened. Since the
          language of Pali cannon and Asokan inscription differs due to the
          time gape. some historians call Asokas' Pali languag as Prakrit
          (ardha-Magadhi means half Magadhi)

          So people are not awre of this script. There are many alphabets used
          by Asoka pronunced differently by different linguistic group in India.
          eg. l is pronunced as eh, r etc.

          with metta
          Sakya
          Bavatu Sabba Mangalam