Re: Pali Day by Day 1/31/2005 [D104]

  • caball01
    Message 1 of 1247 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi,

      Thanks. How about "ti" at the end of the sentence?

      The online "Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary" says to
      look up "iti", but I can't find an entry...

      Over at the "Concise Pali-English Dictionary"
      (http://www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/dict-pe/dictpe-03-i.htm), I
      found "iti : [ind.] thus. (used to point out something just
      mentioned or about to be mentioned, and to show that a sentence is
      finished). Very often its former i is elided and ti only is
      remaining. || îti (f.), calamity.".

      In "Introduction to Pali", pp. 35-36, "ti" is defined (basically -
      see text for fuller definition) as an end-quote.

      I'm suspecting Yong Peng's translation is correct, and that "ti" is
      functioning as a "verbal period" (first usage above), but would
      appreciate any additional insight.

      Thanks.

      Charles

      (Laughing at my appreciation for "any additional insight"...)

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rett <rett@t...> wrote:
      > >Hi,
      > >
      > >All the apostrophes/single-quotes in 10 are giving me fits. My
      text
      > >actually includes a fourth one after the question mark. Could
      > >someone let me know if they serve some purpose other than causing
      > >confusion?
      > >
      > >Thanks.
      > >
      > >Charles
      > >
      > >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <ypong001@y...>
      wrote:

      > >> An Elementary Pali Course
      > >> Exercise 13-A: Translate into English.
      > >>
      > > > 10. Ko jaanaati 'ki.m'eso karissatii'ti?
      > >> who / knows / what / he / will do
      > > > "Who knows what he will do?"
      >
      > I could see the above being written:
      >
      > 10. Ko jaanaati 'ki.m eso karissatii' ti?
      >
      > Then the single-quotes are just being used to mark the scope of
      the
      > phrase nominalized by the word iti. This can be helpful at times.
      >
      > Apostrophes are also used to mark elided vowels, as in: yena
      bhagavaa
      > ten' upasa.mkami. ten' = tena with the short a elided by sandhi.
      > However this latter function doesn't apply above. So the
      apostrophe
      > in ki.m'eso above seems spurious to me.
      >
      > Both employments of apostrophes are optional editorial conventions.
      >
      > best regards
      >
      > /Rett
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4 3:29 AM