Unicode Pali keyboard layout

  • Dennis W. K. Khong
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005

      I have created two keyboard layouts for typing Romanised Pali
      characters in Unicode. They are made with Microsoft's free Keyboard
      Layout Creator, and work only in Windows XP. For Windows 95/98, you
      can made the same using Janko's Keyboard Generator,
      http://solair.eunet.yu/~janko/engdload.htm .

      To download, go to
      http://www.parami.org/files/UKPali.zip (for UK keyboards) or
      http://www.parami.org/files/USPali.zip (for US keyboards).

      You must use a Unicode compatible word processor or text editor, and
      you may need a Unicode font, such as Microsoft's Arial Unicode MS
      (which can be easily found using Google Search).

      Yong Peng, I hope you don't mind that me using your Unicode chart in
      the readme.pdf file.

      Enjoy.

      Dennis
    • Walter Stanish
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
        Great job Dennis! Please to report that the US layout works
        fine in Windows 2000 too.

        Some more detailed instructions for the less technical:

        1. To install the layout, you just unzip the files to a directory
        and click the .msi file.

        2. After it installs, go to
        Settings | Control Panel | Keyboard | Input Locales.

        3. Click 'Add', select an English 'Input Locale' to match the
        layout you downloaded (UK or US English). Eg: If you
        downloaded the US one, select 'English (United States)'.
        Next, scroll to the bottom of the 'Keyboard Layout/IME'
        list to find 'US-Pali' or (I suppose) 'UK-Pali'.

        4. In the Input Locales box you can also find the key sequence
        for quick-switching between languages - a language indicator
        should pop up in your taskbar if you select 'Enable indicator
        on task bar'.

        Again, great job Dennis!

        - Walter