[Pali] Re: Pali Day by Day 1/31/2005 [D104]

  • rett
    Message 1 of 1247 , Feb 2, 2005
      >Hi,
      >
      >All the apostrophes/single-quotes in 10 are giving me fits. My text
      >actually includes a fourth one after the question mark. Could
      >someone let me know if they serve some purpose other than causing
      >confusion?
      >
      >Thanks.
      >
      >Charles
      >
      >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
      >>
      >> An Elementary Pali Course
      >> Exercise 13-A: Translate into English.
      >>
      > > 10. Ko jaanaati 'ki.m'eso karissatii'ti?
      >> who / knows / what / he / will do
      > > "Who knows what he will do?"

      I could see the above being written:

      10. Ko jaanaati 'ki.m eso karissatii' ti?

      Then the single-quotes are just being used to mark the scope of the
      phrase nominalized by the word iti. This can be helpful at times.

      Apostrophes are also used to mark elided vowels, as in: yena bhagavaa
      ten' upasa.mkami. ten' = tena with the short a elided by sandhi.
      However this latter function doesn't apply above. So the apostrophe
      in ki.m'eso above seems spurious to me.

      Both employments of apostrophes are optional editorial conventions.

      best regards

      /Rett
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011