amendments to Narada Ex. 12-A

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
      Dear Yong Peng,
      I have some suggested amendments for your solutions
      for Narada Exercise 12-A. These are all related to
      making the English more fluent to the ear of a native
      English speaker:

      >6. Sace aha.m saccaani bujjheyyaami te aaroceyyaami.
      > if / I / truths / should understand / them / should
      inform
      > If I should understand the truths, I should
      announce to you.
      If I should understand the truths I would announce
      them to you.

      >7. Yadi tva.m vaayaameyyaasi khippa.m pa.n.dito
      bhaveyyaasi.
      > if / you / should try / quickly / wise man /
      should become
      > If you should try, you should become a wise man
      quickly.
      If you try you would quickly become wise.

      >8. Yaava tumhe ma.m passeyyaatha taava idha
      ti.t.theyyaatha.
      > until / you / us / should see / till / here /
      should stand
      > (You) should stand here until you should see me.
      You should stand here until you see me.

      >9. Sace bhikkhuu dhamma.m deseyyu.m maya.m saadhuka.m
      su.neyyaama.
      > if / monks / dhamma / should preach / we / well /
      should / listen
      > If the monks should preach the dhamma, we should
      listen well.
      If the monks preach the Dhamma, we would listen well.

      >10. Saadhu bhante, eva.m no kareyyaama.
      > good / sir / thus / should not do
      > Good sir, thus we should do.
      Very good, venerable sir, we will do so.

      >13. Sace dhamma.m sutvaa mayi saddhaa tava uppajjeyya
      aha.m tva.m adhipati.m kareyyaami.
      > if / doctrine / having heard / in me / faith / to
      you / should arise / I / you / master / should make
      > If (my) faith in you should arise after hearing
      the doctrine, I should make you (my) master.
      If faith in you should arise in me after hearing the
      Dhamma, I would make you my master.

      >14. Yaava tumhe mutti.m labheyyaatha taava
      appamaadena vaayameyyaatha.
      > until / you / deliverance / should obtain / till
      / with earnestness / should strive
      > You should strive with earnestness until you
      should obtain deliverance.
      You should strive with earnestness until you obtain
      deliverance.

      >15. "Akkodhena jine kodha.m -
      > asaadhu.m saadhunaa jine
      > Jine kadariya.m daanena -
      > saccena alikavaadina.m."
      > with non-anger / should conquer / anger
      > evil / with good / should conquer
      > should conquer / miser / with giving
      > with truth / to liars
      > "One should conquer anger with non-anger -
      > conquer evil with good
      > Conquer a miser with giving -
      > to liars with truth."
      One should conquer anger with non-anger, evil with
      good,
      The miser with generosity, and the liar with truth.

      With metta, John
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2005
        Dear John and friends,

        thanks again. The sentences you give are really more fluent. I have
        either altered the original sentences, or included them as
        alternatives. I am also considering people learning Pali and without
        a strong English background, so I retain some of the technically
        correct sentences for comparison sake. The updated page is available
        here:

        http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/paliload.php?page=d12