Pali - Every few days - [B242]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Pali - Every few days - [B242]
      Gair/Karunatillake - Chapter 12 – Readings
      Ex. 4 (Part 3 of 3)

      Braahma.no tassa mara.nasamaya.m ñatvaa «imassa
      dassan’atthaaya aagataagataa antogehe saapateyya.m
      passissanti, tasmaa na.m bahi karissaamii»ti putta.m
      niiharitvaa bahi aa.linde nipajjaapesi. Tasmi.m
      kaalakate braahma.no tassa sariira.m jhaapetvaa,
      devasika.m aa.laahana.m gantvaa: «kaha.m ekaputtaka!
      kaha.m ekaputtakaa»ti rodi.
      The Brahmin, knowing his son was dying, thought to
      himself, “Those who come to see him, they will see the
      wealth inside my house, thus I will take him outside”.
      He had his son taken outside and had him laid down
      on the veranda. When he was dead, the Brahmin had his
      body burned, and went to the cremation ground daily,
      and cried, “Where has my only little son gone! Where
      has my only little son gone!”
      (RasV. Ma.t.thaku.n.daliivatthu
      Cf.
      http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/dmpada2a.htm#Matthakundali