Re: Learning Pali without unicodes - also, a question for Thiele Everett .

  • Sukhdev Singh
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2005
      Dear R.O.Jadhao,

      We indeed share preferences on how to learn Pali, dont we. Well I am
      glad to hear about the LaTeX text formater but know nothing about
      it. Would sure appreciate some help in learning how to use it.
      How do I get started?

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "R.O.Jadhao" <jadhao@b...> wrote:

      > Dear Sukhdev,
      > Since I also find reading pali in roman script somewhat weird, I am
      > transliterating the posts in this group (peng, rett and John
      Kelly's series)
      > to devanagari script by using the devnag prepocessor which comes
      with
      > devnagari package of latex and the converting the file to pdf or
      dvi format
      > and read them. The scheme used in the posts in this book require
      very little
      > effort to transliterate it to devanagari script( the script in
      which Hindi,
      > Marathi and Sanskrit is written).
      >
      > I hope you are familiar with LaTeX text formatter.
      >
      > R.O.Jadhao

      Indian
      > language. And then there was this added excitement of learning,
      what I
      > thought was, the Pali script.
      >
      > You cant imagine how disapointed I was when I learnt that Pali had
      no script
      > of its own. So I quietly swallowed my disapointment and started
      reading all
      > those "ugly" romanised unicodes.
      >
      > Up to now, that is. I just cant stand them anymore. I am an
      Indian, pure
      > blood. And I even know my own script, Gurmukhi, very well. The
      Gurmukhi
      > Script is used to write the Punjabi language as well as more than
      twenty
      > other northern Indian languages and dialects (including Sanskrit)
      found in
      > the scriptures of the Sikh religion known as the Siri Guru Granth
      Sahib.
      > [Gurmukhi script: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/gurmuki.htm ]
      >
      > And Pali is an Indian language. Why cant I learn this language
      through an
      > Indian route without the use of those downright un-Indian
      unicodes. Well,
      > at least untill I have exhausted all Indian-means.
      >
      > I have discovered from msg #25
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/message/25 that one of our more
      learned
      > members of this forum ie. Thiele Everett is also a student of
      Sanskrit.

      > Therefore, I would much appreciate some advise from you on this
      matter.
      > Today, out of sheer frustration, I downloaded Devanagari fonts and
      found
      > myself a site with free audio and video files for learning the Hindi
      > alphabet. Both sites are from the University of Pennsylvania and
      the
      > service is for free.
      > http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/hindi/alphabet/
      > http://philae.sas.upenn.edu/Hindi/hindi.html
      >
      > Actually, I was searching for sites to learn Devanagari for Pali,
      but was
      > not succesful (maybe, not succesful as yet). So I have settled for
      these.

      > Could you advise me more on this area.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Sukhdev Singh
      >
      > ps. I dont have the luxury of attending Pali classes so I have to
      do
      > everything myself with only the Internet as my resource.

      > --
    • Everett Thiele
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2005
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhante Sujato" <sujato@d...> wrote:
        > They intend to ... to produce a DVD version
        > (with software developed at the Culalongkorn Uni).

        This is good news, thank you Bhante. When I spoke with them they
        seemed opposed to the idea of a CD/DVD version. I'm glad to hear they
        might have changed their minds.

        best regards,

        /Rett
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2005
          Dear Sukhdev and friends,

          VRI may not have centers in MY and SG, but it has contacts in both
          countries:

          http://www.vri.dhamma.org/courses/contacts.html

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Sukhdev Singh wrote:

          As for the CD, pity there is no Vipassana Research Institute listed
          in Malaysia, not even in Singapore. I will have to order from
          another country.
        • Sukhdev Singh
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2005
            Hi Ong Yong Peng,

            I actually ran across the Malaysian VRI contact
            website together with the map and bus routes in the
            local theravada forum a few days ago. But thanks for
            your response anyway.

            Sukhdev

            http://mail.yahoo.com