More Pali - Every few days - [C211]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2005
      More Pali - Every few days - [C211]
      Warder - Exercise 20 (page 164)
      Passages for Reading 1 (Part 4 of 5)

      ki.m pana samma saarathi aham pi jaraa-dhammo jara.m
      anatiito ti.
      why / then / my dear / charioteer / I / too /
      age-nature / age / not-passed / (end-quote)
      “Why then, my dear charioteer, am I too of the nature
      to become old? Am I too not gone beyond old age?”

      tva~n ca deva maya~n c’ amhaa sabbe jaraa-dhammaa
      jara.m anatiitaa ti.
      you / and / lord / we / and / are / all / age-nature /
      age / not-passed / (end-quote)
      “Lord, both you and I are of the nature to become old;
      we have not gone beyond old age.”

      tena hi samma saarathii alan daan’ ajja
      uyyaana-bhuumiyaa, ito va antepura.m paccaniyyaahii
      ti.
      well then / my dear / charioteer / enough / then /
      today / park-place / from here / just / inner palace /
      return / (end-quote)
      “Well then, my dear charioteer, enough for today.
      Return from here to the inner palace.”

      eva.m devaa ti kho bhikkhave saarathii Vipassiissa
      kumaarassa pa.tissutvaa tato va antepura.m
      paccaniyyaasi.
      yes / lord / (end-quote) / indeed / monks / charioteer
      / to Vipassi / to prince / having replied / from there
      / just / inner palace / returned
      “Yes, lord”, the charioteer replied to Prince Vipassi,
      monks, and returned from there to the inner palace.

      Metta, John