Re: Re[2]: [Pali] Digest Number 118 to Lenny from Rostock

  • Doug Barr
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 6, 2002
      Dimitry --

      Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
      key as well, if you would be so kind?

      Hello, List!

      I just joined the list and am very excited about it. I know a few words of
      Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta which makes Paali slightly
      less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less frightening.

      A couple of questions:

      Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
      from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

      In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
      Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
      written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali, or is it
      simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
      script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
      Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
      European languages?

      Metta,
      Doug
    • Lennart Zieger
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
        --- Doug Barr <dbarr@...> schrieb: > Dimitry
        --

        > Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's
        > 'Pali Primer' with answer
        > key as well, if you would be so kind?
        >
        > Hello, List!
        >
        > I just joined the list and am very excited about it.
        > I know a few words of
        > Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta
        > which makes Paali slightly
        > less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less
        > frightening.
        >
        > A couple of questions:
        >
        > Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does
        > Samskrta? (It would seem not,
        > from what I've seen, but I just want to check that
        > out.)
        >
        > In which script is Paali most usually written? I am
        > familiar with the
        > Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites
        > where the Paali is
        > written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal"
        > script for Paali, or is it
        > simply written in whatever script the writer
        > normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
        > script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for
        > speakers of
        > Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script
        > for speakers of
        > European languages?
        >
        > Metta,
        > Doug

        PALI IS USUALLY WRITTEN IN THE NATIVE SCRIPT, AS YOU
        WROTE...
        AND YES, PALI HAS A SANDHI, BUT I FIND MUCH LESS
        FRIGHTENING THAN SANSKRIT!!!!!

        To All:

        I MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS TO MY PAGE,

        NOW THE PALI PIMER OF DE SILVA CAN BE FOUND UNDER

        www.geocities.com/lenni_lop/grammar

        LOOK FOR THE LINK WITH THE ONLINE DICTIONARY ON MY
        SITE, IF YOU HAVE NO PALI DICT AT HAND

        ON A MIRROR SITE I PUT MOST OF THE TEXTS WHICH MY
        GEOCITIES WEBSITE CANT CARRY ANY LONGER ( TO MUCH IN
        SIZE)

        WITH METTÂ

        Lenny

        Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
      • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
          Hello, Doug!

          DB> Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
          DB> key as well, if you would be so kind?

          I have sent you a copy, and to all others who asked for it.

          DB> Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
          DB> from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

          Yes, Pali has sandhi. It is described in detail in paragraphs 17-27 of
          Pali Grammar by Charles Duroiselle
          http://www.metta.lk/pali-utils/index.html

          DB> In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
          DB> Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
          DB> written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali,

          There's no standard script.

          DB> or is it
          DB> simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
          DB> script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
          DB> Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
          DB> European languages?

          Indeed it is written in local scripts. One can only guess what were
          the 'early' scripts.

          There's a description of interesting early manuscript in Gandhari
          language at http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/fragments.html

          And you can find a lot of Pali introductory information and links at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/files/

          Metta,
          Dimitry
        • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
            Hi Lenny,

            Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
            on-line website translator at http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

            You are welcome to read my Russian site http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
            using the same translation service.

            The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that you
            have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
            read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
            Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
            further information.

            Metta,
            Dimitry
          • Lennart Zieger
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
              Dear Dimitry!

              Pleased that you know about those great Sri Lankan
              teachers...
              It is true, I was living for a couple of yeas at
              Venerable Nananandas aranya as a monk and pupil of
              him. He knows not only the canon by heart and has
              great knowledge of the commentaries, but really put it
              into practise... under Ven. Nanaramas guidance he
              became somewhat his formost pupils and lives nowadays
              a very secluded live with five Austrian monks and some
              sinhalese monks. All there profit from his intrinsic
              knowledge .. he is somewhat a "secret" tip among
              sinhalese aranya bhikkhus. Because of personal reasons
              i unfortunately had to disrobe, but i recommend to
              meet him, once you come to Sri Lanka. If you like i
              post you part of his islandwide famous NIBBANA
              sermons, which are really great, as they sho, that the
              what the suttas tell is, correctly´understood
              appliable even today in meditation....

              after all, he encourages meditators...

              abourt ven. Amatagavesi i have my doubts, met some of
              his supporters and former pupils...

              mettâya

              Lenny

              --- "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
              <sangha@...> schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

              > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it
              > with the help of
              > on-line website translator at
              > http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .
              >
              > You are welcome to read my Russian site
              > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
              > using the same translation service.
              >
              > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting.
              > It seems that you
              > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan
              > teachers. I have
              > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and
              > Ven. Amatha
              > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very
              > grateful for any
              > further information.
              >
              > Metta,
              > Dimitry

              Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
            • kotus123
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                Dimitry,

                HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.
                http:// geocities.com/lenni_lop/ gets translated but when I click on
                the Meditation button on the left it doesn't go any further.
                So I went back to the translator page and typed in the url as the
                meditation page url appears in my browser window, in the translator
                url box as follows
                http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/meditation.htm
                but the result is only a blank page.
                PLEASE help - dying to read the info there. I have read Ven
                Nanarama's Seven Stages of Purification & have seen a another title
                which I forget and haven't read. Can you please give me the titles
                and if possible ISBN #, publisher name etc of teh books by Ven
                Nananada and Amita Gavesi. Regret troubling you.
                Hope you recived the direct post re Pali primer and Thanks again.
                Metta,
                Renuka.

                Dimitry Ivakhnenko wrote:
                > Hi Lenny,
                >
                > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                > on-line website translator at
                http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that
                you
                > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                > further information.
              • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                  Hi Renuka,

                  k> HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.

                  Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and applied some
                  patience.

                  What can I say? Try again. Geocities have bad connection and pop-up
                  windows, so sometimes large files just don't load.

                  Or, better yet, ask Lenny himself for full information ;^)

                  In the end of this message you will find a passage from
                  'Meditation.htm' relating to the modern meditation movements, in
                  computer translation (somewhat corrected).

                  Another title by Ven Nanarama is 'The Seven Contemplations of Insight'
                  published by BPS.

                  The booklet by Ven. Nanananda that I have read is:

                  Seeing Through: A Guide to Insight Meditation
                  Printed for free distribution by J.Alwis
                  T.P.G.N.Leelaratne & U.Sapukotana
                  (no year, no ISBN, no publisher indicated)

                  There is also his book downloadable from BPS:

                  From Tupsy-turvydom to Wisdom
                  http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/ttw/text-1.pdf

                  The meditation instructions of Ven. Amatha Gavesi are available at:
                  http://web.singnet.com.sg/~vajiro/9_insight.htm

                  Glad to help you,
                  Dimitry

                  8. Theravada meditation movements of the modern age

                  In this connection, I do not want to limit myself only to Sri Lanka,
                  and also in more than one short enumeration:

                  One may attach big importance to the Birman Vipassana-centres represented
                  everywhere in the country which were involved
                  considerably in the meditation euphoria like we find them in
                  Myanmar to expand among the sinhalesischen nonprofessional's
                  Buddhists. But the case was with far less success than in Burma. Some
                  eminent sinhalesische monk-older practiced criticism of the
                  Vipassana-only Attitude of the Birman centres and cared for disconcertion
                  and scepticism. Unfortunately, must also be mentioned that the quality
                  of these centres in the course of the last ten years has got worse
                  drastically. This concerns not only two biggest centres, the
                  international Lanka Vipassana Centre in Colombo under the
                  administration Ven. Pemasiri and the international Vipassana
                  Meditation Centre in Kanduboda under the administration Ven.
                  Madawala Upali (both by different teaching views the whole Birman
                  Vipassana Medal group ( the Shweyin " Nikaya in two warehouses split)
                  but also many their twig monasteries scattered about the whole
                  country(land) (how zB. in a suburb Gampahas) in this tradition
                  numerous books appeared to the meditation. The most important
                  personality and author of innumerable books is the late a few years
                  ago Rerukane Chandananda Mahathera.

                  In the area from samatha however, meditation does itself in Sri Lanka
                  far more:

                  Here there are some " monastische groups similar to sect and
                  nonprofessional's movements from what

                  The respectable Amatagavesi, to itself also in other sudostasiat. To
                  countries(lands) of big popularity pleases (first of all Singapore,
                  one of the biggest pecuniary resources sinhalesischer buddh.
                  Meditation movements) and by a completely new-designed meditation
                  system that complicates very much and relatively unleaned in the
                  Palikanon should be, falls out.

                  Only a good name retains from a few decades still so praiseworthy in
                  the book Forest Monks Of Sri Lanka " represented Sri Kalyani Samstha,
                  a community of the forest monasteries whose group is estimated
                  at about 250. First of all by the temple monks of the cities in the
                  medal to carried partly frightening signs of decay (money and property
                  assemblage, political activity, sexual misdemeanours) rapidly spread
                  under sinhalesischen Sangha. Although such tendencies again release
                  counterreforms and solved, brings the consensus of the wide population
                  which pursues this development, certainly, anxiously, however, no
                  interest in it has to intervene (on account of possible bad karma that
                  from it could appear so the propaganda of some of the more modern "
                  monks), these quickly to a hold. Also aggressive nonprofessional's
                  organizations like the Vinaya-Wardhana strengthen rather the distrust
                  in reform attempts of nonprofessional's side which one, however,
                  earlier or later, can not becomes renounce.

                  To such a small reform group within the Waldmonchsanghas the strict
                  monk's municipality can around the respectable one Nanananda to the
                  Mitirigala which carry, however, again only too often character
                  similar to sect and with those of alleged Arahats and media is teeming
                  . for a moment, anyhow, groups exciting for mostly sensation.

                  Then Versteut we still can in Sri Lanka to forests, ascetic meditative
                  monks find: first of all who is near Adam Peak should know that we
                  have here one of the favorite national parks of meditative monks. He
                  solved with it the Yala national park from which can not grant the
                  care basis of the monks by frightened and in consequence wandered
                  through nonprofessionals by the belligerent discussions with the LLTE
                  any more.

                  As an island-wide known and estimated meditation teacher would still
                  be named last of all the Mr. Ananda de Silva teaching in Kalutara,
                  unfortunately, however, pupils in the 50th to such celebrity got
                  already late Sri Matara Nanarama Mahathera (on which nearly all
                  current meditation masters refer). Mr de Silva could move big
                  shifts of the population to regular meditating with his system
                  there aimed on loving goodness.
                • Renuka Weerasekera
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                    Hello Dimitry,

                    A gentle prod towards a lesson in 'khanti'.Yes, I
                    will.
                    And thankyou.

                    > Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and
                    > applied some
                    > patience.
                    >
                    > What can I say? Try again. >

                    metta,