Re: Dimitry/'Pali Primer'

  • bodhi2500
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
      That would be greatly appreciated
      Thank-you!

      > I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-
      mail
      > as a file for personal use.
      >
      > With metta,
      > Dimitry
    • Doug Barr
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 6, 2002
        Dimitry --

        Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
        key as well, if you would be so kind?

        Hello, List!

        I just joined the list and am very excited about it. I know a few words of
        Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta which makes Paali slightly
        less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less frightening.

        A couple of questions:

        Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
        from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

        In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
        Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
        written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali, or is it
        simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
        script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
        Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
        European languages?

        Metta,
        Doug
      • Lennart Zieger
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
          --- Doug Barr <dbarr@...> schrieb: > Dimitry
          --

          > Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's
          > 'Pali Primer' with answer
          > key as well, if you would be so kind?
          >
          > Hello, List!
          >
          > I just joined the list and am very excited about it.
          > I know a few words of
          > Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta
          > which makes Paali slightly
          > less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less
          > frightening.
          >
          > A couple of questions:
          >
          > Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does
          > Samskrta? (It would seem not,
          > from what I've seen, but I just want to check that
          > out.)
          >
          > In which script is Paali most usually written? I am
          > familiar with the
          > Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites
          > where the Paali is
          > written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal"
          > script for Paali, or is it
          > simply written in whatever script the writer
          > normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
          > script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for
          > speakers of
          > Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script
          > for speakers of
          > European languages?
          >
          > Metta,
          > Doug

          PALI IS USUALLY WRITTEN IN THE NATIVE SCRIPT, AS YOU
          WROTE...
          AND YES, PALI HAS A SANDHI, BUT I FIND MUCH LESS
          FRIGHTENING THAN SANSKRIT!!!!!

          To All:

          I MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS TO MY PAGE,

          NOW THE PALI PIMER OF DE SILVA CAN BE FOUND UNDER

          www.geocities.com/lenni_lop/grammar

          LOOK FOR THE LINK WITH THE ONLINE DICTIONARY ON MY
          SITE, IF YOU HAVE NO PALI DICT AT HAND

          ON A MIRROR SITE I PUT MOST OF THE TEXTS WHICH MY
          GEOCITIES WEBSITE CANT CARRY ANY LONGER ( TO MUCH IN
          SIZE)

          WITH METTÂ

          Lenny

          Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
        • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
            Hello, Doug!

            DB> Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
            DB> key as well, if you would be so kind?

            I have sent you a copy, and to all others who asked for it.

            DB> Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
            DB> from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

            Yes, Pali has sandhi. It is described in detail in paragraphs 17-27 of
            Pali Grammar by Charles Duroiselle
            http://www.metta.lk/pali-utils/index.html

            DB> In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
            DB> Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
            DB> written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali,

            There's no standard script.

            DB> or is it
            DB> simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
            DB> script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
            DB> Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
            DB> European languages?

            Indeed it is written in local scripts. One can only guess what were
            the 'early' scripts.

            There's a description of interesting early manuscript in Gandhari
            language at http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/fragments.html

            And you can find a lot of Pali introductory information and links at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/files/

            Metta,
            Dimitry
          • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
              Hi Lenny,

              Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
              on-line website translator at http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

              You are welcome to read my Russian site http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
              using the same translation service.

              The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that you
              have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
              read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
              Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
              further information.

              Metta,
              Dimitry
            • Lennart Zieger
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
                Dear Dimitry!

                Pleased that you know about those great Sri Lankan
                teachers...
                It is true, I was living for a couple of yeas at
                Venerable Nananandas aranya as a monk and pupil of
                him. He knows not only the canon by heart and has
                great knowledge of the commentaries, but really put it
                into practise... under Ven. Nanaramas guidance he
                became somewhat his formost pupils and lives nowadays
                a very secluded live with five Austrian monks and some
                sinhalese monks. All there profit from his intrinsic
                knowledge .. he is somewhat a "secret" tip among
                sinhalese aranya bhikkhus. Because of personal reasons
                i unfortunately had to disrobe, but i recommend to
                meet him, once you come to Sri Lanka. If you like i
                post you part of his islandwide famous NIBBANA
                sermons, which are really great, as they sho, that the
                what the suttas tell is, correctly´understood
                appliable even today in meditation....

                after all, he encourages meditators...

                abourt ven. Amatagavesi i have my doubts, met some of
                his supporters and former pupils...

                mettâya

                Lenny

                --- "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
                <sangha@...> schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

                > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it
                > with the help of
                > on-line website translator at
                > http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .
                >
                > You are welcome to read my Russian site
                > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                > using the same translation service.
                >
                > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting.
                > It seems that you
                > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan
                > teachers. I have
                > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and
                > Ven. Amatha
                > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very
                > grateful for any
                > further information.
                >
                > Metta,
                > Dimitry

                Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
              • kotus123
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                  Dimitry,

                  HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.
                  http:// geocities.com/lenni_lop/ gets translated but when I click on
                  the Meditation button on the left it doesn't go any further.
                  So I went back to the translator page and typed in the url as the
                  meditation page url appears in my browser window, in the translator
                  url box as follows
                  http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/meditation.htm
                  but the result is only a blank page.
                  PLEASE help - dying to read the info there. I have read Ven
                  Nanarama's Seven Stages of Purification & have seen a another title
                  which I forget and haven't read. Can you please give me the titles
                  and if possible ISBN #, publisher name etc of teh books by Ven
                  Nananada and Amita Gavesi. Regret troubling you.
                  Hope you recived the direct post re Pali primer and Thanks again.
                  Metta,
                  Renuka.

                  Dimitry Ivakhnenko wrote:
                  > Hi Lenny,
                  >
                  > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                  > on-line website translator at
                  http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                  > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that
                  you
                  > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                  > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                  > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                  > further information.
                • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                    Hi Renuka,

                    k> HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.

                    Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and applied some
                    patience.

                    What can I say? Try again. Geocities have bad connection and pop-up
                    windows, so sometimes large files just don't load.

                    Or, better yet, ask Lenny himself for full information ;^)

                    In the end of this message you will find a passage from
                    'Meditation.htm' relating to the modern meditation movements, in
                    computer translation (somewhat corrected).

                    Another title by Ven Nanarama is 'The Seven Contemplations of Insight'
                    published by BPS.

                    The booklet by Ven. Nanananda that I have read is:

                    Seeing Through: A Guide to Insight Meditation
                    Printed for free distribution by J.Alwis
                    T.P.G.N.Leelaratne & U.Sapukotana
                    (no year, no ISBN, no publisher indicated)

                    There is also his book downloadable from BPS:

                    From Tupsy-turvydom to Wisdom
                    http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/ttw/text-1.pdf

                    The meditation instructions of Ven. Amatha Gavesi are available at:
                    http://web.singnet.com.sg/~vajiro/9_insight.htm

                    Glad to help you,
                    Dimitry

                    8. Theravada meditation movements of the modern age

                    In this connection, I do not want to limit myself only to Sri Lanka,
                    and also in more than one short enumeration:

                    One may attach big importance to the Birman Vipassana-centres represented
                    everywhere in the country which were involved
                    considerably in the meditation euphoria like we find them in
                    Myanmar to expand among the sinhalesischen nonprofessional's
                    Buddhists. But the case was with far less success than in Burma. Some
                    eminent sinhalesische monk-older practiced criticism of the
                    Vipassana-only Attitude of the Birman centres and cared for disconcertion
                    and scepticism. Unfortunately, must also be mentioned that the quality
                    of these centres in the course of the last ten years has got worse
                    drastically. This concerns not only two biggest centres, the
                    international Lanka Vipassana Centre in Colombo under the
                    administration Ven. Pemasiri and the international Vipassana
                    Meditation Centre in Kanduboda under the administration Ven.
                    Madawala Upali (both by different teaching views the whole Birman
                    Vipassana Medal group ( the Shweyin " Nikaya in two warehouses split)
                    but also many their twig monasteries scattered about the whole
                    country(land) (how zB. in a suburb Gampahas) in this tradition
                    numerous books appeared to the meditation. The most important
                    personality and author of innumerable books is the late a few years
                    ago Rerukane Chandananda Mahathera.

                    In the area from samatha however, meditation does itself in Sri Lanka
                    far more:

                    Here there are some " monastische groups similar to sect and
                    nonprofessional's movements from what

                    The respectable Amatagavesi, to itself also in other sudostasiat. To
                    countries(lands) of big popularity pleases (first of all Singapore,
                    one of the biggest pecuniary resources sinhalesischer buddh.
                    Meditation movements) and by a completely new-designed meditation
                    system that complicates very much and relatively unleaned in the
                    Palikanon should be, falls out.

                    Only a good name retains from a few decades still so praiseworthy in
                    the book Forest Monks Of Sri Lanka " represented Sri Kalyani Samstha,
                    a community of the forest monasteries whose group is estimated
                    at about 250. First of all by the temple monks of the cities in the
                    medal to carried partly frightening signs of decay (money and property
                    assemblage, political activity, sexual misdemeanours) rapidly spread
                    under sinhalesischen Sangha. Although such tendencies again release
                    counterreforms and solved, brings the consensus of the wide population
                    which pursues this development, certainly, anxiously, however, no
                    interest in it has to intervene (on account of possible bad karma that
                    from it could appear so the propaganda of some of the more modern "
                    monks), these quickly to a hold. Also aggressive nonprofessional's
                    organizations like the Vinaya-Wardhana strengthen rather the distrust
                    in reform attempts of nonprofessional's side which one, however,
                    earlier or later, can not becomes renounce.

                    To such a small reform group within the Waldmonchsanghas the strict
                    monk's municipality can around the respectable one Nanananda to the
                    Mitirigala which carry, however, again only too often character
                    similar to sect and with those of alleged Arahats and media is teeming
                    . for a moment, anyhow, groups exciting for mostly sensation.

                    Then Versteut we still can in Sri Lanka to forests, ascetic meditative
                    monks find: first of all who is near Adam Peak should know that we
                    have here one of the favorite national parks of meditative monks. He
                    solved with it the Yala national park from which can not grant the
                    care basis of the monks by frightened and in consequence wandered
                    through nonprofessionals by the belligerent discussions with the LLTE
                    any more.

                    As an island-wide known and estimated meditation teacher would still
                    be named last of all the Mr. Ananda de Silva teaching in Kalutara,
                    unfortunately, however, pupils in the 50th to such celebrity got
                    already late Sri Matara Nanarama Mahathera (on which nearly all
                    current meditation masters refer). Mr de Silva could move big
                    shifts of the population to regular meditating with his system
                    there aimed on loving goodness.
                  • Renuka Weerasekera
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                      Hello Dimitry,

                      A gentle prod towards a lesson in 'khanti'.Yes, I
                      will.
                      And thankyou.

                      > Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and
                      > applied some
                      > patience.
                      >
                      > What can I say? Try again. >

                      metta,