Re: [Pali] Re: Pali and Chinese Characters

  • Ong Teng Kee
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 28, 2005
      Dear Dennis,
      I don't think you are right.Whare can you find chinese
      hanzi in putonghua for ko,kho,do,dho,m in ending like
      sambuddho or samsara?However, you can easily find it
      in minnan language and cantonese.How many people in
      china know about minnan and cantonese language?
      many people in china nowadays know about roman abc,so
      I can't it is a problem for them to chant or read
      pali in roman alphabet.

      --- "Dennis W. K. Khong" <denniskhong@...>
      wrote:

      > Okay, let's confine this to mandarin first. We can
      > determine whether
      > it is possible by first trying to map the 42
      > alphabets (phonemes) in
      > Pali to pinyin. From there on, we look at each sound
      > in Pali and see
      > whether there is a corresponding pinyin. If so, we
      > can look up a
      > chinese dictionary to select an appropriate
      > letter/word to represent
      > that sound. Once the whole process is completed, if
      > it can be
      > completed, we will have a table to convert pali
      > sounds to chinese
      > characters, which was the original question to this
      > post.
      >
      > Is my methodology right?
      >
      > Dennis
      >

      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Ong Teng Kee
      > <ongtkee@y...> wrote:
      > > No,we can't use these books at all.No mandarin
      > words
      > > for to,tho or hutva,tvam even we use many chinese
      > > dialects together in one book.
      > >

      > > --- "Dennis W. K. Khong" <denniskhong@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > There has been some attempts in Malaysia to do
      > > > something like that. I
      > > > don't have the book at hand, but I do remember a
      > > > Pali chanting book
      > > > with Chinese characters as a phonetic guide. The
      > > > other alternative is
      > > > to use pinyin
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin or
      > > > the traditional
      > > > zhuyin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuyin .
      > However
      > > > if the person can
      > > > read pinyin, most likely he can also read Roman
      > > > characters. Probably
      > > > the Taiwanese is the only remaining group still
      > > > using zhuyin as a
      > > > phonetic guide. I don't know of any attempt of
      > using
      > > > zhuyin though.
      > > >
      > > > Dennis
      > > >
      > > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876"

      > If
      > > > they can, does
      > > > anyone
      > > > document? (Like how
      > Thai
      > > > characters)

      > --------------------~-->
      > Would you Help a Child in need?
      > It�s easier than you think.
      > Click Here to meet a Child you can help.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/kx_54C/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/b0VolB/TM

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Walter Stanish
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 28, 2005
        June,

        If youre relative wants to learn Pali, there's some
        introductory Pali lessons online using traditional Chinese
        characters, romanized pali script and sound files:

        http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/lesson/pali/lesson_pali1.jsp

        - Walter
      • Walter Stanish

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 29, 2005
            I can't see that it is a big problem because I know a
            lot of malaysian old lady can chant pali sutta in
            srilankan,burmese and siamese way even though they
            cannot read any alphabet.They can listen to tapes to
            learn .