Re: Re[3]: [Pali] Digest Number 118 to Lenny from Rostock

  • Mark A. Stanfill
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
      Bruce,

      You're probably deluged with requests, but I would also like a copy.

      Tia,
      Mark

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
        That would be greatly appreciated
        Thank-you!

        > I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-
        mail
        > as a file for personal use.
        >
        > With metta,
        > Dimitry
      • Doug Barr
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 6, 2002
          Dimitry --

          Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
          key as well, if you would be so kind?

          Hello, List!

          I just joined the list and am very excited about it. I know a few words of
          Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta which makes Paali slightly
          less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less frightening.

          A couple of questions:

          Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
          from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

          In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
          Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
          written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali, or is it
          simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
          script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
          Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
          European languages?

          Metta,
          Doug
        • Lennart Zieger
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
            --- Doug Barr <dbarr@...> schrieb: > Dimitry
            --

            > Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's
            > 'Pali Primer' with answer
            > key as well, if you would be so kind?
            >
            > Hello, List!
            >
            > I just joined the list and am very excited about it.
            > I know a few words of
            > Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta
            > which makes Paali slightly
            > less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less
            > frightening.
            >
            > A couple of questions:
            >
            > Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does
            > Samskrta? (It would seem not,
            > from what I've seen, but I just want to check that
            > out.)
            >
            > In which script is Paali most usually written? I am
            > familiar with the
            > Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites
            > where the Paali is
            > written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal"
            > script for Paali, or is it
            > simply written in whatever script the writer
            > normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
            > script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for
            > speakers of
            > Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script
            > for speakers of
            > European languages?
            >
            > Metta,
            > Doug

            PALI IS USUALLY WRITTEN IN THE NATIVE SCRIPT, AS YOU
            WROTE...
            AND YES, PALI HAS A SANDHI, BUT I FIND MUCH LESS
            FRIGHTENING THAN SANSKRIT!!!!!

            To All:

            I MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS TO MY PAGE,

            NOW THE PALI PIMER OF DE SILVA CAN BE FOUND UNDER

            www.geocities.com/lenni_lop/grammar

            LOOK FOR THE LINK WITH THE ONLINE DICTIONARY ON MY
            SITE, IF YOU HAVE NO PALI DICT AT HAND

            ON A MIRROR SITE I PUT MOST OF THE TEXTS WHICH MY
            GEOCITIES WEBSITE CANT CARRY ANY LONGER ( TO MUCH IN
            SIZE)

            WITH METTÂ

            Lenny

            Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
          • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
              Hello, Doug!

              DB> Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
              DB> key as well, if you would be so kind?

              I have sent you a copy, and to all others who asked for it.

              DB> Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
              DB> from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

              Yes, Pali has sandhi. It is described in detail in paragraphs 17-27 of
              Pali Grammar by Charles Duroiselle
              http://www.metta.lk/pali-utils/index.html

              DB> In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
              DB> Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
              DB> written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali,

              There's no standard script.

              DB> or is it
              DB> simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
              DB> script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
              DB> Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
              DB> European languages?

              Indeed it is written in local scripts. One can only guess what were
              the 'early' scripts.

              There's a description of interesting early manuscript in Gandhari
              language at http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/fragments.html

              And you can find a lot of Pali introductory information and links at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/files/

              Metta,
              Dimitry
            • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                Hi Lenny,

                Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                on-line website translator at http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                You are welcome to read my Russian site http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                using the same translation service.

                The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that you
                have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                further information.

                Metta,
                Dimitry
              • Lennart Zieger
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
                  Dear Dimitry!

                  Pleased that you know about those great Sri Lankan
                  teachers...
                  It is true, I was living for a couple of yeas at
                  Venerable Nananandas aranya as a monk and pupil of
                  him. He knows not only the canon by heart and has
                  great knowledge of the commentaries, but really put it
                  into practise... under Ven. Nanaramas guidance he
                  became somewhat his formost pupils and lives nowadays
                  a very secluded live with five Austrian monks and some
                  sinhalese monks. All there profit from his intrinsic
                  knowledge .. he is somewhat a "secret" tip among
                  sinhalese aranya bhikkhus. Because of personal reasons
                  i unfortunately had to disrobe, but i recommend to
                  meet him, once you come to Sri Lanka. If you like i
                  post you part of his islandwide famous NIBBANA
                  sermons, which are really great, as they sho, that the
                  what the suttas tell is, correctly´understood
                  appliable even today in meditation....

                  after all, he encourages meditators...

                  abourt ven. Amatagavesi i have my doubts, met some of
                  his supporters and former pupils...

                  mettâya

                  Lenny

                  --- "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
                  <sangha@...> schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

                  > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it
                  > with the help of
                  > on-line website translator at
                  > http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .
                  >
                  > You are welcome to read my Russian site
                  > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                  > using the same translation service.
                  >
                  > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting.
                  > It seems that you
                  > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan
                  > teachers. I have
                  > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and
                  > Ven. Amatha
                  > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very
                  > grateful for any
                  > further information.
                  >
                  > Metta,
                  > Dimitry

                  Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
                • kotus123
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                    Dimitry,

                    HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.
                    http:// geocities.com/lenni_lop/ gets translated but when I click on
                    the Meditation button on the left it doesn't go any further.
                    So I went back to the translator page and typed in the url as the
                    meditation page url appears in my browser window, in the translator
                    url box as follows
                    http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/meditation.htm
                    but the result is only a blank page.
                    PLEASE help - dying to read the info there. I have read Ven
                    Nanarama's Seven Stages of Purification & have seen a another title
                    which I forget and haven't read. Can you please give me the titles
                    and if possible ISBN #, publisher name etc of teh books by Ven
                    Nananada and Amita Gavesi. Regret troubling you.
                    Hope you recived the direct post re Pali primer and Thanks again.
                    Metta,
                    Renuka.

                    Dimitry Ivakhnenko wrote:
                    > Hi Lenny,
                    >
                    > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                    > on-line website translator at
                    http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                    > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that
                    you
                    > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                    > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                    > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                    > further information.
                  • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                      Hi Renuka,

                      k> HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.

                      Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and applied some
                      patience.

                      What can I say? Try again. Geocities have bad connection and pop-up
                      windows, so sometimes large files just don't load.

                      Or, better yet, ask Lenny himself for full information ;^)

                      In the end of this message you will find a passage from
                      'Meditation.htm' relating to the modern meditation movements, in
                      computer translation (somewhat corrected).

                      Another title by Ven Nanarama is 'The Seven Contemplations of Insight'
                      published by BPS.

                      The booklet by Ven. Nanananda that I have read is:

                      Seeing Through: A Guide to Insight Meditation
                      Printed for free distribution by J.Alwis
                      T.P.G.N.Leelaratne & U.Sapukotana
                      (no year, no ISBN, no publisher indicated)

                      There is also his book downloadable from BPS:

                      From Tupsy-turvydom to Wisdom
                      http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/ttw/text-1.pdf

                      The meditation instructions of Ven. Amatha Gavesi are available at:
                      http://web.singnet.com.sg/~vajiro/9_insight.htm

                      Glad to help you,
                      Dimitry

                      8. Theravada meditation movements of the modern age

                      In this connection, I do not want to limit myself only to Sri Lanka,
                      and also in more than one short enumeration:

                      One may attach big importance to the Birman Vipassana-centres represented
                      everywhere in the country which were involved
                      considerably in the meditation euphoria like we find them in
                      Myanmar to expand among the sinhalesischen nonprofessional's
                      Buddhists. But the case was with far less success than in Burma. Some
                      eminent sinhalesische monk-older practiced criticism of the
                      Vipassana-only Attitude of the Birman centres and cared for disconcertion
                      and scepticism. Unfortunately, must also be mentioned that the quality
                      of these centres in the course of the last ten years has got worse
                      drastically. This concerns not only two biggest centres, the
                      international Lanka Vipassana Centre in Colombo under the
                      administration Ven. Pemasiri and the international Vipassana
                      Meditation Centre in Kanduboda under the administration Ven.
                      Madawala Upali (both by different teaching views the whole Birman
                      Vipassana Medal group ( the Shweyin " Nikaya in two warehouses split)
                      but also many their twig monasteries scattered about the whole
                      country(land) (how zB. in a suburb Gampahas) in this tradition
                      numerous books appeared to the meditation. The most important
                      personality and author of innumerable books is the late a few years
                      ago Rerukane Chandananda Mahathera.

                      In the area from samatha however, meditation does itself in Sri Lanka
                      far more:

                      Here there are some " monastische groups similar to sect and
                      nonprofessional's movements from what

                      The respectable Amatagavesi, to itself also in other sudostasiat. To
                      countries(lands) of big popularity pleases (first of all Singapore,
                      one of the biggest pecuniary resources sinhalesischer buddh.
                      Meditation movements) and by a completely new-designed meditation
                      system that complicates very much and relatively unleaned in the
                      Palikanon should be, falls out.

                      Only a good name retains from a few decades still so praiseworthy in
                      the book Forest Monks Of Sri Lanka " represented Sri Kalyani Samstha,
                      a community of the forest monasteries whose group is estimated
                      at about 250. First of all by the temple monks of the cities in the
                      medal to carried partly frightening signs of decay (money and property
                      assemblage, political activity, sexual misdemeanours) rapidly spread
                      under sinhalesischen Sangha. Although such tendencies again release
                      counterreforms and solved, brings the consensus of the wide population
                      which pursues this development, certainly, anxiously, however, no
                      interest in it has to intervene (on account of possible bad karma that
                      from it could appear so the propaganda of some of the more modern "
                      monks), these quickly to a hold. Also aggressive nonprofessional's
                      organizations like the Vinaya-Wardhana strengthen rather the distrust
                      in reform attempts of nonprofessional's side which one, however,
                      earlier or later, can not becomes renounce.

                      To such a small reform group within the Waldmonchsanghas the strict
                      monk's municipality can around the respectable one Nanananda to the
                      Mitirigala which carry, however, again only too often character
                      similar to sect and with those of alleged Arahats and media is teeming
                      . for a moment, anyhow, groups exciting for mostly sensation.

                      Then Versteut we still can in Sri Lanka to forests, ascetic meditative
                      monks find: first of all who is near Adam Peak should know that we
                      have here one of the favorite national parks of meditative monks. He
                      solved with it the Yala national park from which can not grant the
                      care basis of the monks by frightened and in consequence wandered
                      through nonprofessionals by the belligerent discussions with the LLTE
                      any more.

                      As an island-wide known and estimated meditation teacher would still
                      be named last of all the Mr. Ananda de Silva teaching in Kalutara,
                      unfortunately, however, pupils in the 50th to such celebrity got
                      already late Sri Matara Nanarama Mahathera (on which nearly all
                      current meditation masters refer). Mr de Silva could move big
                      shifts of the population to regular meditating with his system
                      there aimed on loving goodness.
                    • Renuka Weerasekera
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                        Hello Dimitry,

                        A gentle prod towards a lesson in 'khanti'.Yes, I
                        will.
                        And thankyou.

                        > Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and
                        > applied some
                        > patience.
                        >
                        > What can I say? Try again. >

                        metta,