Mettaa sutta

  • Michael Attwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2005
      great effect. However I've been working through the paali and have
      been stumped by some words and/or grammar.

      In the line: "bhuutaa vaa sambhavesii vaa"
      I can't make out the case ending of sambhavesii... I'm assuming that
      the base word is sambhavesin = seeking birth. But what is the -ii?

      Everyone seems to translate this line: "na paro para.m nikubbetha
      naatima~n~netha katthacina.m ka~nci" as: "let no one deceive or
      despise another", and since naatima~n~nati is 'to despise', I assume
      that nikubbetha must be "deceive".

      Might it be: ni + kubbati (karoti in the optative middle conjugation I
      think). But I can't see why it would mean deceive...

      Also I can't make out ka~nci. Ki~nci is used earlier and I see that
      it is ki + ci = something, anything. Is ka~nci therefore ka + ci =
      anyone? It doesn't seem to be in the books.

      If anyone could offer any advice on these minor mysteries I'd be
      grateful.

      Thanks
      Michael