Reading translations

  • Bhante Sujato
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2005
      hello June,

      Well, all is subjective, but i think you'll find that many share
      your feelings.

      The early PTS translations were admirable pioneering efforts, but
      quite inadequate now. Part of what has changed is our better
      understanding of Dhamma, especially mediation. Partly it's due to
      changes in linguistic styles (although if you read the PTS
      translations next to other literarature of the times you realize
      that they were very old-fashioned, if not self-consciously archaic,
      even when they were written). A more serious problem is that, as is
      well known, the long-time president of the PTS, Caroline Rhys-
      Davids, fell into notorious wrong views, insisting on reading
      a 'Self' into everything she could (i have heard that this was
      prompted by a crisis after the death of her son). She in turn
      influenced a whole generation of Pali scholarship in the West (from
      about the 1920s to the 1960s).

      Anyway, we must be very grateful, especially when we remember that
      the Pali Tripitaka was translated into English before it was
      translated into Sinhalese!

      in Dhamma

      Bhante Sujato

      Because not long ago I ordered many translations, but in