Re: [Pali] Digest Number 118 to Lenny from Rostock

  • Lennart Zieger
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
      Dear Renuka!

      So much thanks for your nice email!
      I am especially glad to know that Sinhalese people
      live here in the North of Germany - As I have been to
      Sri Lanka twice in my life (one time for three years,
      living there as an aranya-vasi monk) i cherish a deep
      love for the country and people. Kohomada Mahatmiya?
      Api eka davasak hamuvenne? Mage yahaluvek oba kittuyi
      jivat venne (Schwerin). Ehenem mama nävätte ingrisiyen
      liyanne:

      I started pali with the dictionary of Rhys Davids and
      with a simple German Pali grammar of Kurt Schmidt -
      thats all! Then jump into the matter (i.e. texts) and
      simply start translating .. thats the most
      straigtforward way of learning it i found..

      greetings to all your sinhalese friends in Luebeck

      mettaya

      Lenny

      --- Renuka Weerasekera <kotus123@...>
      schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

      Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
        Lennie,

        Kohumada. Glad to know you have been an Sinhalese forest monk. I'm in touch with
        Ajahn Brahmavamso, who belongs to the Thai Forest tradition (along witj Ajahn
        Sumedho). I think they are doing great work with growing number of monasteries in
        UK, Australia, NZ and other places.

        Sukhi.

        P.

      • Mark A. Stanfill
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
          Bruce,

          You're probably deluged with requests, but I would also like a copy.

          Tia,
          Mark

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
            That would be greatly appreciated
            Thank-you!

            > I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-
            mail
            > as a file for personal use.
            >
            > With metta,
            > Dimitry
          • Doug Barr
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 6, 2002
              Dimitry --

              Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
              key as well, if you would be so kind?

              Hello, List!

              I just joined the list and am very excited about it. I know a few words of
              Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta which makes Paali slightly
              less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less frightening.

              A couple of questions:

              Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
              from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

              In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
              Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
              written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali, or is it
              simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
              script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
              Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
              European languages?

              Metta,
              Doug
            • Lennart Zieger
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                --- Doug Barr <dbarr@...> schrieb: > Dimitry
                --

                > Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's
                > 'Pali Primer' with answer
                > key as well, if you would be so kind?
                >
                > Hello, List!
                >
                > I just joined the list and am very excited about it.
                > I know a few words of
                > Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta
                > which makes Paali slightly
                > less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less
                > frightening.
                >
                > A couple of questions:
                >
                > Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does
                > Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                > from what I've seen, but I just want to check that
                > out.)
                >
                > In which script is Paali most usually written? I am
                > familiar with the
                > Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites
                > where the Paali is
                > written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal"
                > script for Paali, or is it
                > simply written in whatever script the writer
                > normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                > script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for
                > speakers of
                > Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script
                > for speakers of
                > European languages?
                >
                > Metta,
                > Doug

                PALI IS USUALLY WRITTEN IN THE NATIVE SCRIPT, AS YOU
                WROTE...
                AND YES, PALI HAS A SANDHI, BUT I FIND MUCH LESS
                FRIGHTENING THAN SANSKRIT!!!!!

                To All:

                I MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS TO MY PAGE,

                NOW THE PALI PIMER OF DE SILVA CAN BE FOUND UNDER

                www.geocities.com/lenni_lop/grammar

                LOOK FOR THE LINK WITH THE ONLINE DICTIONARY ON MY
                SITE, IF YOU HAVE NO PALI DICT AT HAND

                ON A MIRROR SITE I PUT MOST OF THE TEXTS WHICH MY
                GEOCITIES WEBSITE CANT CARRY ANY LONGER ( TO MUCH IN
                SIZE)

                WITH METTÂ

                Lenny

                Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
              • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                  Hello, Doug!

                  DB> Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
                  DB> key as well, if you would be so kind?

                  I have sent you a copy, and to all others who asked for it.

                  DB> Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                  DB> from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

                  Yes, Pali has sandhi. It is described in detail in paragraphs 17-27 of
                  Pali Grammar by Charles Duroiselle
                  http://www.metta.lk/pali-utils/index.html

                  DB> In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
                  DB> Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
                  DB> written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali,

                  There's no standard script.

                  DB> or is it
                  DB> simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                  DB> script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
                  DB> Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
                  DB> European languages?

                  Indeed it is written in local scripts. One can only guess what were
                  the 'early' scripts.

                  There's a description of interesting early manuscript in Gandhari
                  language at http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/fragments.html

                  And you can find a lot of Pali introductory information and links at
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/files/

                  Metta,
                  Dimitry
                • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                    Hi Lenny,

                    Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                    on-line website translator at http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                    You are welcome to read my Russian site http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                    using the same translation service.

                    The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that you
                    have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                    read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                    Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                    further information.

                    Metta,
                    Dimitry
                  • Lennart Zieger
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
                      Dear Dimitry!

                      Pleased that you know about those great Sri Lankan
                      teachers...
                      It is true, I was living for a couple of yeas at
                      Venerable Nananandas aranya as a monk and pupil of
                      him. He knows not only the canon by heart and has
                      great knowledge of the commentaries, but really put it
                      into practise... under Ven. Nanaramas guidance he
                      became somewhat his formost pupils and lives nowadays
                      a very secluded live with five Austrian monks and some
                      sinhalese monks. All there profit from his intrinsic
                      knowledge .. he is somewhat a "secret" tip among
                      sinhalese aranya bhikkhus. Because of personal reasons
                      i unfortunately had to disrobe, but i recommend to
                      meet him, once you come to Sri Lanka. If you like i
                      post you part of his islandwide famous NIBBANA
                      sermons, which are really great, as they sho, that the
                      what the suttas tell is, correctly´understood
                      appliable even today in meditation....

                      after all, he encourages meditators...

                      abourt ven. Amatagavesi i have my doubts, met some of
                      his supporters and former pupils...

                      mettâya

                      Lenny

                      --- "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
                      <sangha@...> schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

                      > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it
                      > with the help of
                      > on-line website translator at
                      > http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .
                      >
                      > You are welcome to read my Russian site
                      > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                      > using the same translation service.
                      >
                      > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting.
                      > It seems that you
                      > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan
                      > teachers. I have
                      > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and
                      > Ven. Amatha
                      > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very
                      > grateful for any
                      > further information.
                      >
                      > Metta,
                      > Dimitry

                      Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
                    • kotus123
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                        Dimitry,

                        HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.
                        http:// geocities.com/lenni_lop/ gets translated but when I click on
                        the Meditation button on the left it doesn't go any further.
                        So I went back to the translator page and typed in the url as the
                        meditation page url appears in my browser window, in the translator
                        url box as follows
                        http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/meditation.htm
                        but the result is only a blank page.
                        PLEASE help - dying to read the info there. I have read Ven
                        Nanarama's Seven Stages of Purification & have seen a another title
                        which I forget and haven't read. Can you please give me the titles
                        and if possible ISBN #, publisher name etc of teh books by Ven
                        Nananada and Amita Gavesi. Regret troubling you.
                        Hope you recived the direct post re Pali primer and Thanks again.
                        Metta,
                        Renuka.

                        Dimitry Ivakhnenko wrote:
                        > Hi Lenny,
                        >
                        > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                        > on-line website translator at
                        http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                        > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that
                        you
                        > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                        > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                        > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                        > further information.
                      • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                          Hi Renuka,

                          k> HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.

                          Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and applied some
                          patience.

                          What can I say? Try again. Geocities have bad connection and pop-up
                          windows, so sometimes large files just don't load.

                          Or, better yet, ask Lenny himself for full information ;^)

                          In the end of this message you will find a passage from
                          'Meditation.htm' relating to the modern meditation movements, in
                          computer translation (somewhat corrected).

                          Another title by Ven Nanarama is 'The Seven Contemplations of Insight'
                          published by BPS.

                          The booklet by Ven. Nanananda that I have read is:

                          Seeing Through: A Guide to Insight Meditation
                          Printed for free distribution by J.Alwis
                          T.P.G.N.Leelaratne & U.Sapukotana
                          (no year, no ISBN, no publisher indicated)

                          There is also his book downloadable from BPS:

                          From Tupsy-turvydom to Wisdom
                          http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/ttw/text-1.pdf

                          The meditation instructions of Ven. Amatha Gavesi are available at:
                          http://web.singnet.com.sg/~vajiro/9_insight.htm

                          Glad to help you,
                          Dimitry

                          8. Theravada meditation movements of the modern age

                          In this connection, I do not want to limit myself only to Sri Lanka,
                          and also in more than one short enumeration:

                          One may attach big importance to the Birman Vipassana-centres represented
                          everywhere in the country which were involved
                          considerably in the meditation euphoria like we find them in
                          Myanmar to expand among the sinhalesischen nonprofessional's
                          Buddhists. But the case was with far less success than in Burma. Some
                          eminent sinhalesische monk-older practiced criticism of the
                          Vipassana-only Attitude of the Birman centres and cared for disconcertion
                          and scepticism. Unfortunately, must also be mentioned that the quality
                          of these centres in the course of the last ten years has got worse
                          drastically. This concerns not only two biggest centres, the
                          international Lanka Vipassana Centre in Colombo under the
                          administration Ven. Pemasiri and the international Vipassana
                          Meditation Centre in Kanduboda under the administration Ven.
                          Madawala Upali (both by different teaching views the whole Birman
                          Vipassana Medal group ( the Shweyin " Nikaya in two warehouses split)
                          but also many their twig monasteries scattered about the whole
                          country(land) (how zB. in a suburb Gampahas) in this tradition
                          numerous books appeared to the meditation. The most important
                          personality and author of innumerable books is the late a few years
                          ago Rerukane Chandananda Mahathera.

                          In the area from samatha however, meditation does itself in Sri Lanka
                          far more:

                          Here there are some " monastische groups similar to sect and
                          nonprofessional's movements from what

                          The respectable Amatagavesi, to itself also in other sudostasiat. To
                          countries(lands) of big popularity pleases (first of all Singapore,
                          one of the biggest pecuniary resources sinhalesischer buddh.
                          Meditation movements) and by a completely new-designed meditation
                          system that complicates very much and relatively unleaned in the
                          Palikanon should be, falls out.

                          Only a good name retains from a few decades still so praiseworthy in
                          the book Forest Monks Of Sri Lanka " represented Sri Kalyani Samstha,
                          a community of the forest monasteries whose group is estimated
                          at about 250. First of all by the temple monks of the cities in the
                          medal to carried partly frightening signs of decay (money and property
                          assemblage, political activity, sexual misdemeanours) rapidly spread
                          under sinhalesischen Sangha. Although such tendencies again release
                          counterreforms and solved, brings the consensus of the wide population
                          which pursues this development, certainly, anxiously, however, no
                          interest in it has to intervene (on account of possible bad karma that
                          from it could appear so the propaganda of some of the more modern "
                          monks), these quickly to a hold. Also aggressive nonprofessional's
                          organizations like the Vinaya-Wardhana strengthen rather the distrust
                          in reform attempts of nonprofessional's side which one, however,
                          earlier or later, can not becomes renounce.

                          To such a small reform group within the Waldmonchsanghas the strict
                          monk's municipality can around the respectable one Nanananda to the
                          Mitirigala which carry, however, again only too often character
                          similar to sect and with those of alleged Arahats and media is teeming
                          . for a moment, anyhow, groups exciting for mostly sensation.

                          Then Versteut we still can in Sri Lanka to forests, ascetic meditative
                          monks find: first of all who is near Adam Peak should know that we
                          have here one of the favorite national parks of meditative monks. He
                          solved with it the Yala national park from which can not grant the
                          care basis of the monks by frightened and in consequence wandered
                          through nonprofessionals by the belligerent discussions with the LLTE
                          any more.

                          As an island-wide known and estimated meditation teacher would still
                          be named last of all the Mr. Ananda de Silva teaching in Kalutara,
                          unfortunately, however, pupils in the 50th to such celebrity got
                          already late Sri Matara Nanarama Mahathera (on which nearly all
                          current meditation masters refer). Mr de Silva could move big
                          shifts of the population to regular meditating with his system
                          there aimed on loving goodness.
                        • Renuka Weerasekera
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                            Hello Dimitry,

                            A gentle prod towards a lesson in 'khanti'.Yes, I
                            will.
                            And thankyou.

                            > Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and
                            > applied some
                            > patience.
                            >
                            > What can I say? Try again. >

                            metta,