More Pali - Every few days - [C210]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2005
      More Pali - Every few days - [C210]
      Warder - Exercise 20 (page 164)
      Passages for Reading 1 (Part 3 of 5)

      disvaa saarathi.m aamantesi: ayam-pana samma saarathi
      puriso ki.m kato,
      having seen / charioteer / he addressed / this-then /
      my dear / charioteer / man / why /made
      On seeing this, he asked his charioteer: “My dear
      charioteer, why is this man like this?

      kesaa pi ‘ssa na yathaa a~n~nesa.m, kaayo pi ‘ssa na
      yathaa a~n~nesan ti.
      hair / and / his / not / like / others / body / and /
      his / not / like / others / (end-quote)
      His hair is not like other men’s, and his body is not
      like other men’s.”

      eso kho deva ji.n.no naamaa ti.
      this / indeed / lord / aged / called / (end-quote)
      “Lord, this is called an aged man.”

      kim pan’ eso samma saarathi ji.n.no naamaa ti.
      why / then / this / my dear / charioteer / aged /
      called / (end-quote)
      “My dear charioteer, why is he called aged?”

      eso kho deva ji.n.no naama: na daani tena cira.m
      jiivitabba.m bhavissatii ti.
      this / indeed / lord / aged / called / not / then / by
      which / for a long time / to live / he will be /
      (end-quote)
      “Lord, he is called aged because he does not have long
      to live.”

      Metta, John