Re: [Pali] Digest Number 118 to Lenny from Rostock

  • Lennart Zieger
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
      Dear Renuka!

      So much thanks for your nice email!
      I am especially glad to know that Sinhalese people
      live here in the North of Germany - As I have been to
      Sri Lanka twice in my life (one time for three years,
      living there as an aranya-vasi monk) i cherish a deep
      love for the country and people. Kohomada Mahatmiya?
      Api eka davasak hamuvenne? Mage yahaluvek oba kittuyi
      jivat venne (Schwerin). Ehenem mama nävätte ingrisiyen
      liyanne:

      I started pali with the dictionary of Rhys Davids and
      with a simple German Pali grammar of Kurt Schmidt -
      thats all! Then jump into the matter (i.e. texts) and
      simply start translating .. thats the most
      straigtforward way of learning it i found..

      greetings to all your sinhalese friends in Luebeck

      mettaya

      Lenny

      --- Renuka Weerasekera <kotus123@...>
      schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

      > Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
      > especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily
      > de
      > Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent
      > over.
      > Or maybe buy on Amazon, but I am rather wary of
      > e-transactions. Plan to check out what you've got on
      > your site but couldn't resisit mailing you as I am
      > just a few miles away from you so to speak - I am in
      > Luebeck and know a doctor at the Rostock hospital. I
      > came here in 1999 from London to join my husband who
      > moved here from Canada, but we both come originally
      > from Sri Lanka; Kandy to be exact.
      >
      > I am very curious to know how you started off on
      > Pali-
      > what are the books you used? Hope you will share as
      > am also very interested in starting asap.
      >
      > Well enjoy the group - they are all very very
      > helpful
      > from what I've seen that I too am quite imaptient to
      > start my studies.
      >
      > With metta,
      > Renuka.
      >
      > _-------------------------------------------------
      > Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:02:15 +0100 (CET)
      > > From: Lennart Zieger <lenni_lop@...>
      > > Subject: hello to everyone!
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I just joined this group. In order to intoduce
      > > myself:
      > > My name is Lennart Lopin, Lenny, and my
      > nationality
      > > is
      > > German and I am a student in Rostock. I am 23
      > years
      > > old, reading German, English and Computer Science
      > at
      > > the local university and I study pali for several
      > > years by now (private).
      > >
      > > If anyone here needs pali texts, i started to
      > heave
      > > them online ... see
      > >
      > > http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/Palikanon
      > >
      > > for that.
      > >
      > > Looking forward to intensive co-studies,
      > >
      > > yours Lenny

      > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

      Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
    • Lennart Zieger
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
        Dear Piya,

        Unfortunately disc space on my free web site is not
        enough for the entire tipitaka-so i just put the
        Suttapitaka online (today i finished that)

        The font you need should be found under
        http://geocities.com/lenni_lop

        and is named "Roman Pali TT"

        When you click on that you will have to save the
        "palirom.zip" file on your computer. Unzipp that file
        and insert it in your local Windows/Fonts folder

        Finally, when you want to view the pali texts you have
        to change the Font setting of your Browser (when using
        internet explorer that will be under Tools/Internet
        Options/Fonts. Select the VRI Pali Roman Font and off
        you go...

        if something shouldnt work out the way i wrote, let me
        know

        mettâya

        Lenny

        --- Piya Tan <libris@...> schrieb: > Lenny,

        > You've got the whole Chattha Sangayana CD on your
        > website, it seems. However, when I
        > click on the left column as instructed, I only get
        > Yahoo adevrtisements in the eight
        > column. Also how do you get the fonts for your site
        > right?
        >
        > Sukhi.
        >
        > P.
        >
        > Renuka Weerasekera wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Lenny,
        > >
        > > Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
        > > especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily
        > de
        > > Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent
        > over.
        > > Or maybe buy on Amazon, but I am rather wary of
        > > e-transactions. Plan to check out what you've got
        > on
        > > your site but couldn't resisit mailing you as I am
        > > just a few miles away from you so to speak - I am
        > in
        > > Luebeck and know a doctor at the Rostock hospital.
        > > came here in 1999 from London to join my husband
        > who
        > > moved here from Canada, but we both come
        > originally
        > > from Sri Lanka; Kandy to be exact.
        > >
        > > I am very curious to know how you started off on
        > Pali-
        > > what are the books you used? Hope you will share
        > as I
        > > am also very interested in starting asap.
        > >
        > > Well enjoy the group - they are all very very
        > helpful
        > > from what I've seen that I too am quite imaptient
        > > start my studies.
        > >
        > > With metta,
        > > Renuka.
        > >
        > > _-------------------------------------------------
        > > Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:02:15 +0100 (CET)
        > > > From: Lennart Zieger <lenni_lop@...>
        > > > Subject: hello to everyone!
        > > >
        > > > Hello,
        > > >
        > > > I just joined this group. In order to intoduce
        > > > myself:
        > > > My name is Lennart Lopin, Lenny, and my
        > nationality
        > > > is
        > > > German and I am a student in Rostock. I am 23
        > years
        > > > old, reading German, English and Computer
        > Science at
        > > > the local university and I study pali for
        > several
        > > > years by now (private).
        > > >
        > > > If anyone here needs pali texts, i started to
        > heave
        > > > them online ... see
        > > >
        > > > http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/Palikanon
        > > >
        > > > for that.
        > > >
        > > > Looking forward to intensive co-studies,
        > > >
        > > > yours Lenny

        > > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
      • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
          Hi, Bruce and Wynn,

          Everybody is welcome!

          I have sent 'Pali Primer' to you.

          With metta,
          Dimitry
        • Veronica Ma
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
            Me, three?

            From: Bruce Burrill <brburl@...>

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
              Lennie,

              Kohumada. Glad to know you have been an Sinhalese forest monk. I'm in touch with
              Ajahn Brahmavamso, who belongs to the Thai Forest tradition (along witj Ajahn
              Sumedho). I think they are doing great work with growing number of monasteries in
              UK, Australia, NZ and other places.

              Sukhi.

              P.

            • Mark A. Stanfill
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                Bruce,

                You're probably deluged with requests, but I would also like a copy.

                Tia,
                Mark

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                  That would be greatly appreciated
                  Thank-you!

                  > I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-
                  mail
                  > as a file for personal use.
                  >
                  > With metta,
                  > Dimitry
                • Doug Barr
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 6, 2002
                    Dimitry --

                    Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
                    key as well, if you would be so kind?

                    Hello, List!

                    I just joined the list and am very excited about it. I know a few words of
                    Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta which makes Paali slightly
                    less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less frightening.

                    A couple of questions:

                    Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                    from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

                    In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
                    Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
                    written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali, or is it
                    simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                    script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
                    Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
                    European languages?

                    Metta,
                    Doug
                  • Lennart Zieger
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                      --- Doug Barr <dbarr@...> schrieb: > Dimitry
                      --

                      > Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's
                      > 'Pali Primer' with answer
                      > key as well, if you would be so kind?
                      >
                      > Hello, List!
                      >
                      > I just joined the list and am very excited about it.
                      > I know a few words of
                      > Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta
                      > which makes Paali slightly
                      > less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less
                      > frightening.
                      >
                      > A couple of questions:
                      >
                      > Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does
                      > Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                      > from what I've seen, but I just want to check that
                      > out.)
                      >
                      > In which script is Paali most usually written? I am
                      > familiar with the
                      > Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites
                      > where the Paali is
                      > written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal"
                      > script for Paali, or is it
                      > simply written in whatever script the writer
                      > normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                      > script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for
                      > speakers of
                      > Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script
                      > for speakers of
                      > European languages?
                      >
                      > Metta,
                      > Doug

                      PALI IS USUALLY WRITTEN IN THE NATIVE SCRIPT, AS YOU
                      WROTE...
                      AND YES, PALI HAS A SANDHI, BUT I FIND MUCH LESS
                      FRIGHTENING THAN SANSKRIT!!!!!

                      To All:

                      I MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS TO MY PAGE,

                      NOW THE PALI PIMER OF DE SILVA CAN BE FOUND UNDER

                      www.geocities.com/lenni_lop/grammar

                      LOOK FOR THE LINK WITH THE ONLINE DICTIONARY ON MY
                      SITE, IF YOU HAVE NO PALI DICT AT HAND

                      ON A MIRROR SITE I PUT MOST OF THE TEXTS WHICH MY
                      GEOCITIES WEBSITE CANT CARRY ANY LONGER ( TO MUCH IN
                      SIZE)

                      WITH METTÂ

                      Lenny

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                        Hello, Doug!

                        DB> Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
                        DB> key as well, if you would be so kind?

                        I have sent you a copy, and to all others who asked for it.

                        DB> Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                        DB> from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

                        Yes, Pali has sandhi. It is described in detail in paragraphs 17-27 of
                        Pali Grammar by Charles Duroiselle
                        http://www.metta.lk/pali-utils/index.html

                        DB> In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
                        DB> Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
                        DB> written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali,

                        There's no standard script.

                        DB> or is it
                        DB> simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                        DB> script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
                        DB> Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
                        DB> European languages?

                        Indeed it is written in local scripts. One can only guess what were
                        the 'early' scripts.

                        There's a description of interesting early manuscript in Gandhari
                        language at http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/fragments.html

                        And you can find a lot of Pali introductory information and links at
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/files/

                        Metta,
                        Dimitry
                      • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                          Hi Lenny,

                          Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                          on-line website translator at http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                          You are welcome to read my Russian site http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                          using the same translation service.

                          The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that you
                          have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                          read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                          Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                          further information.

                          Metta,
                          Dimitry
                        • Lennart Zieger
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
                            Dear Dimitry!

                            Pleased that you know about those great Sri Lankan
                            teachers...
                            It is true, I was living for a couple of yeas at
                            Venerable Nananandas aranya as a monk and pupil of
                            him. He knows not only the canon by heart and has
                            great knowledge of the commentaries, but really put it
                            into practise... under Ven. Nanaramas guidance he
                            became somewhat his formost pupils and lives nowadays
                            a very secluded live with five Austrian monks and some
                            sinhalese monks. All there profit from his intrinsic
                            knowledge .. he is somewhat a "secret" tip among
                            sinhalese aranya bhikkhus. Because of personal reasons
                            i unfortunately had to disrobe, but i recommend to
                            meet him, once you come to Sri Lanka. If you like i
                            post you part of his islandwide famous NIBBANA
                            sermons, which are really great, as they sho, that the
                            what the suttas tell is, correctly´understood
                            appliable even today in meditation....

                            after all, he encourages meditators...

                            abourt ven. Amatagavesi i have my doubts, met some of
                            his supporters and former pupils...

                            mettâya

                            Lenny

                            --- "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
                            <sangha@...> schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

                            > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it
                            > with the help of
                            > on-line website translator at
                            > http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .
                            >
                            > You are welcome to read my Russian site
                            > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                            > using the same translation service.
                            >
                            > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting.
                            > It seems that you
                            > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan
                            > teachers. I have
                            > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and
                            > Ven. Amatha
                            > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very
                            > grateful for any
                            > further information.
                            >
                            > Metta,
                            > Dimitry

                            Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
                          • kotus123
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                              Dimitry,

                              HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.
                              http:// geocities.com/lenni_lop/ gets translated but when I click on
                              the Meditation button on the left it doesn't go any further.
                              So I went back to the translator page and typed in the url as the
                              meditation page url appears in my browser window, in the translator
                              url box as follows
                              http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/meditation.htm
                              but the result is only a blank page.
                              PLEASE help - dying to read the info there. I have read Ven
                              Nanarama's Seven Stages of Purification & have seen a another title
                              which I forget and haven't read. Can you please give me the titles
                              and if possible ISBN #, publisher name etc of teh books by Ven
                              Nananada and Amita Gavesi. Regret troubling you.
                              Hope you recived the direct post re Pali primer and Thanks again.
                              Metta,
                              Renuka.

                              Dimitry Ivakhnenko wrote:
                              > Hi Lenny,
                              >
                              > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                              > on-line website translator at
                              http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                              > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that
                              you
                              > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                              > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                              > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                              > further information.
                            • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                                Hi Renuka,

                                k> HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.

                                Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and applied some
                                patience.

                                What can I say? Try again. Geocities have bad connection and pop-up
                                windows, so sometimes large files just don't load.

                                Or, better yet, ask Lenny himself for full information ;^)

                                In the end of this message you will find a passage from
                                'Meditation.htm' relating to the modern meditation movements, in
                                computer translation (somewhat corrected).

                                Another title by Ven Nanarama is 'The Seven Contemplations of Insight'
                                published by BPS.

                                The booklet by Ven. Nanananda that I have read is:

                                Seeing Through: A Guide to Insight Meditation
                                Printed for free distribution by J.Alwis
                                T.P.G.N.Leelaratne & U.Sapukotana
                                (no year, no ISBN, no publisher indicated)

                                There is also his book downloadable from BPS:

                                From Tupsy-turvydom to Wisdom
                                http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/ttw/text-1.pdf

                                The meditation instructions of Ven. Amatha Gavesi are available at:
                                http://web.singnet.com.sg/~vajiro/9_insight.htm

                                Glad to help you,
                                Dimitry

                                8. Theravada meditation movements of the modern age

                                In this connection, I do not want to limit myself only to Sri Lanka,
                                and also in more than one short enumeration:

                                One may attach big importance to the Birman Vipassana-centres represented
                                everywhere in the country which were involved
                                considerably in the meditation euphoria like we find them in
                                Myanmar to expand among the sinhalesischen nonprofessional's
                                Buddhists. But the case was with far less success than in Burma. Some
                                eminent sinhalesische monk-older practiced criticism of the
                                Vipassana-only Attitude of the Birman centres and cared for disconcertion
                                and scepticism. Unfortunately, must also be mentioned that the quality
                                of these centres in the course of the last ten years has got worse
                                drastically. This concerns not only two biggest centres, the
                                international Lanka Vipassana Centre in Colombo under the
                                administration Ven. Pemasiri and the international Vipassana
                                Meditation Centre in Kanduboda under the administration Ven.
                                Madawala Upali (both by different teaching views the whole Birman
                                Vipassana Medal group ( the Shweyin " Nikaya in two warehouses split)
                                but also many their twig monasteries scattered about the whole
                                country(land) (how zB. in a suburb Gampahas) in this tradition
                                numerous books appeared to the meditation. The most important
                                personality and author of innumerable books is the late a few years
                                ago Rerukane Chandananda Mahathera.

                                In the area from samatha however, meditation does itself in Sri Lanka
                                far more:

                                Here there are some " monastische groups similar to sect and
                                nonprofessional's movements from what

                                The respectable Amatagavesi, to itself also in other sudostasiat. To
                                countries(lands) of big popularity pleases (first of all Singapore,
                                one of the biggest pecuniary resources sinhalesischer buddh.
                                Meditation movements) and by a completely new-designed meditation
                                system that complicates very much and relatively unleaned in the
                                Palikanon should be, falls out.

                                Only a good name retains from a few decades still so praiseworthy in
                                the book Forest Monks Of Sri Lanka " represented Sri Kalyani Samstha,
                                a community of the forest monasteries whose group is estimated
                                at about 250. First of all by the temple monks of the cities in the
                                medal to carried partly frightening signs of decay (money and property
                                assemblage, political activity, sexual misdemeanours) rapidly spread
                                under sinhalesischen Sangha. Although such tendencies again release
                                counterreforms and solved, brings the consensus of the wide population
                                which pursues this development, certainly, anxiously, however, no
                                interest in it has to intervene (on account of possible bad karma that
                                from it could appear so the propaganda of some of the more modern "
                                monks), these quickly to a hold. Also aggressive nonprofessional's
                                organizations like the Vinaya-Wardhana strengthen rather the distrust
                                in reform attempts of nonprofessional's side which one, however,
                                earlier or later, can not becomes renounce.

                                To such a small reform group within the Waldmonchsanghas the strict
                                monk's municipality can around the respectable one Nanananda to the
                                Mitirigala which carry, however, again only too often character
                                similar to sect and with those of alleged Arahats and media is teeming
                                . for a moment, anyhow, groups exciting for mostly sensation.

                                Then Versteut we still can in Sri Lanka to forests, ascetic meditative
                                monks find: first of all who is near Adam Peak should know that we
                                have here one of the favorite national parks of meditative monks. He
                                solved with it the Yala national park from which can not grant the
                                care basis of the monks by frightened and in consequence wandered
                                through nonprofessionals by the belligerent discussions with the LLTE
                                any more.

                                As an island-wide known and estimated meditation teacher would still
                                be named last of all the Mr. Ananda de Silva teaching in Kalutara,
                                unfortunately, however, pupils in the 50th to such celebrity got
                                already late Sri Matara Nanarama Mahathera (on which nearly all
                                current meditation masters refer). Mr de Silva could move big
                                shifts of the population to regular meditating with his system
                                there aimed on loving goodness.
                              • Renuka Weerasekera
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                                  Hello Dimitry,

                                  A gentle prod towards a lesson in 'khanti'.Yes, I
                                  will.
                                  And thankyou.

                                  > Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and
                                  > applied some
                                  > patience.
                                  >
                                  > What can I say? Try again. >

                                  metta,