Re[2]: [Pali] Digest Number 118 to Lenny from Rostock

  • Bruce Burrill
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2002
      Me, too?

      At 06:47 AM 1/3/02 +0200, you wrote:
      >Hi Renuka,
      >
      >RW> Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
      >RW> especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily de
      >RW> Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent over.
      >
      >I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-mail
      >as a file for personal use.
      >
      >With metta,
      >Dimitry

    • Lennart Zieger
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
        Dear Renuka!

        So much thanks for your nice email!
        I am especially glad to know that Sinhalese people
        live here in the North of Germany - As I have been to
        Sri Lanka twice in my life (one time for three years,
        living there as an aranya-vasi monk) i cherish a deep
        love for the country and people. Kohomada Mahatmiya?
        Api eka davasak hamuvenne? Mage yahaluvek oba kittuyi
        jivat venne (Schwerin). Ehenem mama nävätte ingrisiyen
        liyanne:

        I started pali with the dictionary of Rhys Davids and
        with a simple German Pali grammar of Kurt Schmidt -
        thats all! Then jump into the matter (i.e. texts) and
        simply start translating .. thats the most
        straigtforward way of learning it i found..

        greetings to all your sinhalese friends in Luebeck

        mettaya

        Lenny

        --- Renuka Weerasekera <kotus123@...>
        schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

        > Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
        > especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily
        > de
        > Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent
        > over.
        > Or maybe buy on Amazon, but I am rather wary of
        > e-transactions. Plan to check out what you've got on
        > your site but couldn't resisit mailing you as I am
        > just a few miles away from you so to speak - I am in
        > Luebeck and know a doctor at the Rostock hospital. I
        > came here in 1999 from London to join my husband who
        > moved here from Canada, but we both come originally
        > from Sri Lanka; Kandy to be exact.
        >
        > I am very curious to know how you started off on
        > Pali-
        > what are the books you used? Hope you will share as
        > am also very interested in starting asap.
        >
        > Well enjoy the group - they are all very very
        > helpful
        > from what I've seen that I too am quite imaptient to
        > start my studies.
        >
        > With metta,
        > Renuka.
        >
        > _-------------------------------------------------
        > Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:02:15 +0100 (CET)
        > > From: Lennart Zieger <lenni_lop@...>
        > > Subject: hello to everyone!
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I just joined this group. In order to intoduce
        > > myself:
        > > My name is Lennart Lopin, Lenny, and my
        > nationality
        > > is
        > > German and I am a student in Rostock. I am 23
        > years
        > > old, reading German, English and Computer Science
        > at
        > > the local university and I study pali for several
        > > years by now (private).
        > >
        > > If anyone here needs pali texts, i started to
        > heave
        > > them online ... see
        > >
        > > http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/Palikanon
        > >
        > > for that.
        > >
        > > Looking forward to intensive co-studies,
        > >
        > > yours Lenny

        > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
      • Lennart Zieger
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
          Dear Piya,

          Unfortunately disc space on my free web site is not
          enough for the entire tipitaka-so i just put the
          Suttapitaka online (today i finished that)

          The font you need should be found under
          http://geocities.com/lenni_lop

          and is named "Roman Pali TT"

          When you click on that you will have to save the
          "palirom.zip" file on your computer. Unzipp that file
          and insert it in your local Windows/Fonts folder

          Finally, when you want to view the pali texts you have
          to change the Font setting of your Browser (when using
          internet explorer that will be under Tools/Internet
          Options/Fonts. Select the VRI Pali Roman Font and off
          you go...

          if something shouldnt work out the way i wrote, let me
          know

          mettâya

          Lenny

          --- Piya Tan <libris@...> schrieb: > Lenny,

          > You've got the whole Chattha Sangayana CD on your
          > website, it seems. However, when I
          > click on the left column as instructed, I only get
          > Yahoo adevrtisements in the eight
          > column. Also how do you get the fonts for your site
          > right?
          >
          > Sukhi.
          >
          > P.
          >
          > Renuka Weerasekera wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Lenny,
          > >
          > > Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
          > > especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily
          > de
          > > Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent
          > over.
          > > Or maybe buy on Amazon, but I am rather wary of
          > > e-transactions. Plan to check out what you've got
          > on
          > > your site but couldn't resisit mailing you as I am
          > > just a few miles away from you so to speak - I am
          > in
          > > Luebeck and know a doctor at the Rostock hospital.
          > > came here in 1999 from London to join my husband
          > who
          > > moved here from Canada, but we both come
          > originally
          > > from Sri Lanka; Kandy to be exact.
          > >
          > > I am very curious to know how you started off on
          > Pali-
          > > what are the books you used? Hope you will share
          > as I
          > > am also very interested in starting asap.
          > >
          > > Well enjoy the group - they are all very very
          > helpful
          > > from what I've seen that I too am quite imaptient
          > > start my studies.
          > >
          > > With metta,
          > > Renuka.
          > >
          > > _-------------------------------------------------
          > > Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:02:15 +0100 (CET)
          > > > From: Lennart Zieger <lenni_lop@...>
          > > > Subject: hello to everyone!
          > > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > I just joined this group. In order to intoduce
          > > > myself:
          > > > My name is Lennart Lopin, Lenny, and my
          > nationality
          > > > is
          > > > German and I am a student in Rostock. I am 23
          > years
          > > > old, reading German, English and Computer
          > Science at
          > > > the local university and I study pali for
          > several
          > > > years by now (private).
          > > >
          > > > If anyone here needs pali texts, i started to
          > heave
          > > > them online ... see
          > > >
          > > > http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/Palikanon
          > > >
          > > > for that.
          > > >
          > > > Looking forward to intensive co-studies,
          > > >
          > > > yours Lenny

          > > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
        • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
            Hi, Bruce and Wynn,

            Everybody is welcome!

            I have sent 'Pali Primer' to you.

            With metta,
            Dimitry
          • Veronica Ma
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
              Me, three?

              From: Bruce Burrill <brburl@...>

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                Lennie,

                Kohumada. Glad to know you have been an Sinhalese forest monk. I'm in touch with
                Ajahn Brahmavamso, who belongs to the Thai Forest tradition (along witj Ajahn
                Sumedho). I think they are doing great work with growing number of monasteries in
                UK, Australia, NZ and other places.

                Sukhi.

                P.

              • Mark A. Stanfill
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                  Bruce,

                  You're probably deluged with requests, but I would also like a copy.

                  Tia,
                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                    That would be greatly appreciated
                    Thank-you!

                    > I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-
                    mail
                    > as a file for personal use.
                    >
                    > With metta,
                    > Dimitry
                  • Doug Barr
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 6, 2002
                      Dimitry --

                      Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
                      key as well, if you would be so kind?

                      Hello, List!

                      I just joined the list and am very excited about it. I know a few words of
                      Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta which makes Paali slightly
                      less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less frightening.

                      A couple of questions:

                      Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                      from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

                      In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
                      Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
                      written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali, or is it
                      simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                      script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
                      Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
                      European languages?

                      Metta,
                      Doug
                    • Lennart Zieger
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                        --- Doug Barr <dbarr@...> schrieb: > Dimitry
                        --

                        > Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's
                        > 'Pali Primer' with answer
                        > key as well, if you would be so kind?
                        >
                        > Hello, List!
                        >
                        > I just joined the list and am very excited about it.
                        > I know a few words of
                        > Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta
                        > which makes Paali slightly
                        > less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less
                        > frightening.
                        >
                        > A couple of questions:
                        >
                        > Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does
                        > Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                        > from what I've seen, but I just want to check that
                        > out.)
                        >
                        > In which script is Paali most usually written? I am
                        > familiar with the
                        > Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites
                        > where the Paali is
                        > written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal"
                        > script for Paali, or is it
                        > simply written in whatever script the writer
                        > normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                        > script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for
                        > speakers of
                        > Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script
                        > for speakers of
                        > European languages?
                        >
                        > Metta,
                        > Doug

                        PALI IS USUALLY WRITTEN IN THE NATIVE SCRIPT, AS YOU
                        WROTE...
                        AND YES, PALI HAS A SANDHI, BUT I FIND MUCH LESS
                        FRIGHTENING THAN SANSKRIT!!!!!

                        To All:

                        I MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS TO MY PAGE,

                        NOW THE PALI PIMER OF DE SILVA CAN BE FOUND UNDER

                        www.geocities.com/lenni_lop/grammar

                        LOOK FOR THE LINK WITH THE ONLINE DICTIONARY ON MY
                        SITE, IF YOU HAVE NO PALI DICT AT HAND

                        ON A MIRROR SITE I PUT MOST OF THE TEXTS WHICH MY
                        GEOCITIES WEBSITE CANT CARRY ANY LONGER ( TO MUCH IN
                        SIZE)

                        WITH METTÂ

                        Lenny

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                          Hello, Doug!

                          DB> Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
                          DB> key as well, if you would be so kind?

                          I have sent you a copy, and to all others who asked for it.

                          DB> Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                          DB> from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

                          Yes, Pali has sandhi. It is described in detail in paragraphs 17-27 of
                          Pali Grammar by Charles Duroiselle
                          http://www.metta.lk/pali-utils/index.html

                          DB> In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
                          DB> Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
                          DB> written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali,

                          There's no standard script.

                          DB> or is it
                          DB> simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                          DB> script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
                          DB> Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
                          DB> European languages?

                          Indeed it is written in local scripts. One can only guess what were
                          the 'early' scripts.

                          There's a description of interesting early manuscript in Gandhari
                          language at http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/fragments.html

                          And you can find a lot of Pali introductory information and links at
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/files/

                          Metta,
                          Dimitry
                        • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                            Hi Lenny,

                            Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                            on-line website translator at http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                            You are welcome to read my Russian site http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                            using the same translation service.

                            The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that you
                            have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                            read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                            Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                            further information.

                            Metta,
                            Dimitry
                          • Lennart Zieger
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
                              Dear Dimitry!

                              Pleased that you know about those great Sri Lankan
                              teachers...
                              It is true, I was living for a couple of yeas at
                              Venerable Nananandas aranya as a monk and pupil of
                              him. He knows not only the canon by heart and has
                              great knowledge of the commentaries, but really put it
                              into practise... under Ven. Nanaramas guidance he
                              became somewhat his formost pupils and lives nowadays
                              a very secluded live with five Austrian monks and some
                              sinhalese monks. All there profit from his intrinsic
                              knowledge .. he is somewhat a "secret" tip among
                              sinhalese aranya bhikkhus. Because of personal reasons
                              i unfortunately had to disrobe, but i recommend to
                              meet him, once you come to Sri Lanka. If you like i
                              post you part of his islandwide famous NIBBANA
                              sermons, which are really great, as they sho, that the
                              what the suttas tell is, correctly´understood
                              appliable even today in meditation....

                              after all, he encourages meditators...

                              abourt ven. Amatagavesi i have my doubts, met some of
                              his supporters and former pupils...

                              mettâya

                              Lenny

                              --- "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
                              <sangha@...> schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

                              > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it
                              > with the help of
                              > on-line website translator at
                              > http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .
                              >
                              > You are welcome to read my Russian site
                              > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                              > using the same translation service.
                              >
                              > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting.
                              > It seems that you
                              > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan
                              > teachers. I have
                              > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and
                              > Ven. Amatha
                              > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very
                              > grateful for any
                              > further information.
                              >
                              > Metta,
                              > Dimitry

                              Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
                            • kotus123
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                                Dimitry,

                                HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.
                                http:// geocities.com/lenni_lop/ gets translated but when I click on
                                the Meditation button on the left it doesn't go any further.
                                So I went back to the translator page and typed in the url as the
                                meditation page url appears in my browser window, in the translator
                                url box as follows
                                http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/meditation.htm
                                but the result is only a blank page.
                                PLEASE help - dying to read the info there. I have read Ven
                                Nanarama's Seven Stages of Purification & have seen a another title
                                which I forget and haven't read. Can you please give me the titles
                                and if possible ISBN #, publisher name etc of teh books by Ven
                                Nananada and Amita Gavesi. Regret troubling you.
                                Hope you recived the direct post re Pali primer and Thanks again.
                                Metta,
                                Renuka.

                                Dimitry Ivakhnenko wrote:
                                > Hi Lenny,
                                >
                                > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                                > on-line website translator at
                                http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                                > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that
                                you
                                > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                                > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                                > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                                > further information.
                              • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                                  Hi Renuka,

                                  k> HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.

                                  Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and applied some
                                  patience.

                                  What can I say? Try again. Geocities have bad connection and pop-up
                                  windows, so sometimes large files just don't load.

                                  Or, better yet, ask Lenny himself for full information ;^)

                                  In the end of this message you will find a passage from
                                  'Meditation.htm' relating to the modern meditation movements, in
                                  computer translation (somewhat corrected).

                                  Another title by Ven Nanarama is 'The Seven Contemplations of Insight'
                                  published by BPS.

                                  The booklet by Ven. Nanananda that I have read is:

                                  Seeing Through: A Guide to Insight Meditation
                                  Printed for free distribution by J.Alwis
                                  T.P.G.N.Leelaratne & U.Sapukotana
                                  (no year, no ISBN, no publisher indicated)

                                  There is also his book downloadable from BPS:

                                  From Tupsy-turvydom to Wisdom
                                  http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/ttw/text-1.pdf

                                  The meditation instructions of Ven. Amatha Gavesi are available at:
                                  http://web.singnet.com.sg/~vajiro/9_insight.htm

                                  Glad to help you,
                                  Dimitry

                                  8. Theravada meditation movements of the modern age

                                  In this connection, I do not want to limit myself only to Sri Lanka,
                                  and also in more than one short enumeration:

                                  One may attach big importance to the Birman Vipassana-centres represented
                                  everywhere in the country which were involved
                                  considerably in the meditation euphoria like we find them in
                                  Myanmar to expand among the sinhalesischen nonprofessional's
                                  Buddhists. But the case was with far less success than in Burma. Some
                                  eminent sinhalesische monk-older practiced criticism of the
                                  Vipassana-only Attitude of the Birman centres and cared for disconcertion
                                  and scepticism. Unfortunately, must also be mentioned that the quality
                                  of these centres in the course of the last ten years has got worse
                                  drastically. This concerns not only two biggest centres, the
                                  international Lanka Vipassana Centre in Colombo under the
                                  administration Ven. Pemasiri and the international Vipassana
                                  Meditation Centre in Kanduboda under the administration Ven.
                                  Madawala Upali (both by different teaching views the whole Birman
                                  Vipassana Medal group ( the Shweyin " Nikaya in two warehouses split)
                                  but also many their twig monasteries scattered about the whole
                                  country(land) (how zB. in a suburb Gampahas) in this tradition
                                  numerous books appeared to the meditation. The most important
                                  personality and author of innumerable books is the late a few years
                                  ago Rerukane Chandananda Mahathera.

                                  In the area from samatha however, meditation does itself in Sri Lanka
                                  far more:

                                  Here there are some " monastische groups similar to sect and
                                  nonprofessional's movements from what

                                  The respectable Amatagavesi, to itself also in other sudostasiat. To
                                  countries(lands) of big popularity pleases (first of all Singapore,
                                  one of the biggest pecuniary resources sinhalesischer buddh.
                                  Meditation movements) and by a completely new-designed meditation
                                  system that complicates very much and relatively unleaned in the
                                  Palikanon should be, falls out.

                                  Only a good name retains from a few decades still so praiseworthy in
                                  the book Forest Monks Of Sri Lanka " represented Sri Kalyani Samstha,
                                  a community of the forest monasteries whose group is estimated
                                  at about 250. First of all by the temple monks of the cities in the
                                  medal to carried partly frightening signs of decay (money and property
                                  assemblage, political activity, sexual misdemeanours) rapidly spread
                                  under sinhalesischen Sangha. Although such tendencies again release
                                  counterreforms and solved, brings the consensus of the wide population
                                  which pursues this development, certainly, anxiously, however, no
                                  interest in it has to intervene (on account of possible bad karma that
                                  from it could appear so the propaganda of some of the more modern "
                                  monks), these quickly to a hold. Also aggressive nonprofessional's
                                  organizations like the Vinaya-Wardhana strengthen rather the distrust
                                  in reform attempts of nonprofessional's side which one, however,
                                  earlier or later, can not becomes renounce.

                                  To such a small reform group within the Waldmonchsanghas the strict
                                  monk's municipality can around the respectable one Nanananda to the
                                  Mitirigala which carry, however, again only too often character
                                  similar to sect and with those of alleged Arahats and media is teeming
                                  . for a moment, anyhow, groups exciting for mostly sensation.

                                  Then Versteut we still can in Sri Lanka to forests, ascetic meditative
                                  monks find: first of all who is near Adam Peak should know that we
                                  have here one of the favorite national parks of meditative monks. He
                                  solved with it the Yala national park from which can not grant the
                                  care basis of the monks by frightened and in consequence wandered
                                  through nonprofessionals by the belligerent discussions with the LLTE
                                  any more.

                                  As an island-wide known and estimated meditation teacher would still
                                  be named last of all the Mr. Ananda de Silva teaching in Kalutara,
                                  unfortunately, however, pupils in the 50th to such celebrity got
                                  already late Sri Matara Nanarama Mahathera (on which nearly all
                                  current meditation masters refer). Mr de Silva could move big
                                  shifts of the population to regular meditating with his system
                                  there aimed on loving goodness.
                                • Renuka Weerasekera
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                                    Hello Dimitry,

                                    A gentle prod towards a lesson in 'khanti'.Yes, I
                                    will.
                                    And thankyou.

                                    > Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and
                                    > applied some
                                    > patience.
                                    >
                                    > What can I say? Try again. >

                                    metta,