Re: [Pali] Digest Number 118 to Lenny from Rostock

  • Renuka Weerasekera
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi Lenny,

      Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
      especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily de
      Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent over.
      Or maybe buy on Amazon, but I am rather wary of
      e-transactions. Plan to check out what you've got on
      your site but couldn't resisit mailing you as I am
      just a few miles away from you so to speak - I am in
      Luebeck and know a doctor at the Rostock hospital. I
      came here in 1999 from London to join my husband who
      moved here from Canada, but we both come originally
      from Sri Lanka; Kandy to be exact.

      I am very curious to know how you started off on Pali-
      what are the books you used? Hope you will share as I
      am also very interested in starting asap.

      Well enjoy the group - they are all very very helpful
      from what I've seen that I too am quite imaptient to
      start my studies.

      With metta,
      Renuka.

      _-------------------------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:02:15 +0100 (CET)

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2002
        Lenny,

        You've got the whole Chattha Sangayana CD on your website, it seems. However, when I
        click on the left column as instructed, I only get Yahoo adevrtisements in the eight
        column. Also how do you get the fonts for your site right?

        Sukhi.

        P.

        Renuka Weerasekera wrote:

        > Hi Lenny,
        >
        > Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
        > especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily de
        > Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent over.
        > Or maybe buy on Amazon, but I am rather wary of
        > e-transactions. Plan to check out what you've got on
        > your site but couldn't resisit mailing you as I am
        > just a few miles away from you so to speak - I am in
        > Luebeck and know a doctor at the Rostock hospital. I
        > came here in 1999 from London to join my husband who
        > moved here from Canada, but we both come originally
        > from Sri Lanka; Kandy to be exact.
        >
        > I am very curious to know how you started off on Pali-
        > what are the books you used? Hope you will share as I
        > am also very interested in starting asap.
        >
        > Well enjoy the group - they are all very very helpful
        > from what I've seen that I too am quite imaptient to
        > start my studies.
        >
        > With metta,
        > Renuka.
        >
        > _-------------------------------------------------
        > Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:02:15 +0100 (CET)
        > > From: Lennart Zieger <lenni_lop@...>
        > > Subject: hello to everyone!
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I just joined this group. In order to intoduce
        > > myself:
        > > My name is Lennart Lopin, Lenny, and my nationality
        > > is
        > > German and I am a student in Rostock. I am 23 years
        > > old, reading German, English and Computer Science at
        > > the local university and I study pali for several
        > > years by now (private).
        > >
        > > If anyone here needs pali texts, i started to heave
        > > them online ... see
        > >
        > > http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/Palikanon
        > >
        > > for that.
        > >
        > > Looking forward to intensive co-studies,
        > >
        > > yours Lenny

        > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

      • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2002
          Hi Renuka,

          RW> Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
          RW> especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily de
          RW> Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent over.

          I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-mail
          as a file for personal use.

          With metta,
          Dimitry
        • Bruce Burrill
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2002
            Me, too?

            At 06:47 AM 1/3/02 +0200, you wrote:
            >Hi Renuka,
            >
            >RW> Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
            >RW> especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily de
            >RW> Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent over.
            >
            >I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-mail
            >as a file for personal use.
            >
            >With metta,
            >Dimitry

          • Lennart Zieger
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
              Dear Renuka!

              So much thanks for your nice email!
              I am especially glad to know that Sinhalese people
              live here in the North of Germany - As I have been to
              Sri Lanka twice in my life (one time for three years,
              living there as an aranya-vasi monk) i cherish a deep
              love for the country and people. Kohomada Mahatmiya?
              Api eka davasak hamuvenne? Mage yahaluvek oba kittuyi
              jivat venne (Schwerin). Ehenem mama nävätte ingrisiyen
              liyanne:

              I started pali with the dictionary of Rhys Davids and
              with a simple German Pali grammar of Kurt Schmidt -
              thats all! Then jump into the matter (i.e. texts) and
              simply start translating .. thats the most
              straigtforward way of learning it i found..

              greetings to all your sinhalese friends in Luebeck

              mettaya

              Lenny

              --- Renuka Weerasekera <kotus123@...>
              schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

              > Welcome to the group. I am not very active here
              > especially as I am waiting to buy the book by Lily
              > de
              > Silva when I am next in Sri Lanka or get it sent
              > over.
              > Or maybe buy on Amazon, but I am rather wary of
              > e-transactions. Plan to check out what you've got on
              > your site but couldn't resisit mailing you as I am
              > just a few miles away from you so to speak - I am in
              > Luebeck and know a doctor at the Rostock hospital. I
              > came here in 1999 from London to join my husband who
              > moved here from Canada, but we both come originally
              > from Sri Lanka; Kandy to be exact.
              >
              > I am very curious to know how you started off on
              > Pali-
              > what are the books you used? Hope you will share as
              > am also very interested in starting asap.
              >
              > Well enjoy the group - they are all very very
              > helpful
              > from what I've seen that I too am quite imaptient to
              > start my studies.
              >
              > With metta,
              > Renuka.
              >
              > _-------------------------------------------------
              > Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:02:15 +0100 (CET)
              > > From: Lennart Zieger <lenni_lop@...>
              > > Subject: hello to everyone!
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > I just joined this group. In order to intoduce
              > > myself:
              > > My name is Lennart Lopin, Lenny, and my
              > nationality
              > > is
              > > German and I am a student in Rostock. I am 23
              > years
              > > old, reading German, English and Computer Science
              > at
              > > the local university and I study pali for several
              > > years by now (private).
              > >
              > > If anyone here needs pali texts, i started to
              > heave
              > > them online ... see
              > >
              > > http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/Palikanon
              > >
              > > for that.
              > >
              > > Looking forward to intensive co-studies,
              > >
              > > yours Lenny

              > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

              Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
            • Lennart Zieger
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                Dear Piya,

                Unfortunately disc space on my free web site is not
                enough for the entire tipitaka-so i just put the
                Suttapitaka online (today i finished that)

                The font you need should be found under
                http://geocities.com/lenni_lop

                and is named "Roman Pali TT"

                When you click on that you will have to save the
                "palirom.zip" file on your computer. Unzipp that file
                and insert it in your local Windows/Fonts folder

                Finally, when you want to view the pali texts you have
                to change the Font setting of your Browser (when using
                internet explorer that will be under Tools/Internet
                Options/Fonts. Select the VRI Pali Roman Font and off
                you go...

                if something shouldnt work out the way i wrote, let me
                know

                mettâya

                Lenny

                --- Piya Tan <libris@...> schrieb: > Lenny,

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                  Hi, Bruce and Wynn,

                  Everybody is welcome!

                  I have sent 'Pali Primer' to you.

                  With metta,
                  Dimitry
                • Veronica Ma
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                    Me, three?

                    From: Bruce Burrill <brburl@...>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                      Lennie,

                      Kohumada. Glad to know you have been an Sinhalese forest monk. I'm in touch with
                      Ajahn Brahmavamso, who belongs to the Thai Forest tradition (along witj Ajahn
                      Sumedho). I think they are doing great work with growing number of monasteries in
                      UK, Australia, NZ and other places.

                      Sukhi.

                      P.

                    • Mark A. Stanfill
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 3, 2002
                        Bruce,

                        You're probably deluged with requests, but I would also like a copy.

                        Tia,
                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 4, 2002
                          That would be greatly appreciated
                          Thank-you!

                          > I can send you Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer key by e-
                          mail
                          > as a file for personal use.
                          >
                          > With metta,
                          > Dimitry
                        • Doug Barr
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 6, 2002
                            Dimitry --

                            Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
                            key as well, if you would be so kind?

                            Hello, List!

                            I just joined the list and am very excited about it. I know a few words of
                            Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta which makes Paali slightly
                            less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less frightening.

                            A couple of questions:

                            Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                            from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

                            In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
                            Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
                            written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali, or is it
                            simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                            script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
                            Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
                            European languages?

                            Metta,
                            Doug
                          • Lennart Zieger
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                              --- Doug Barr <dbarr@...> schrieb: > Dimitry
                              --

                              > Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's
                              > 'Pali Primer' with answer
                              > key as well, if you would be so kind?
                              >
                              > Hello, List!
                              >
                              > I just joined the list and am very excited about it.
                              > I know a few words of
                              > Paali only, a little more than that of Samskrta
                              > which makes Paali slightly
                              > less frightening <smile>. Actually, much less
                              > frightening.
                              >
                              > A couple of questions:
                              >
                              > Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does
                              > Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                              > from what I've seen, but I just want to check that
                              > out.)
                              >
                              > In which script is Paali most usually written? I am
                              > familiar with the
                              > Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites
                              > where the Paali is
                              > written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal"
                              > script for Paali, or is it
                              > simply written in whatever script the writer
                              > normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                              > script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for
                              > speakers of
                              > Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script
                              > for speakers of
                              > European languages?
                              >
                              > Metta,
                              > Doug

                              PALI IS USUALLY WRITTEN IN THE NATIVE SCRIPT, AS YOU
                              WROTE...
                              AND YES, PALI HAS A SANDHI, BUT I FIND MUCH LESS
                              FRIGHTENING THAN SANSKRIT!!!!!

                              To All:

                              I MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS TO MY PAGE,

                              NOW THE PALI PIMER OF DE SILVA CAN BE FOUND UNDER

                              www.geocities.com/lenni_lop/grammar

                              LOOK FOR THE LINK WITH THE ONLINE DICTIONARY ON MY
                              SITE, IF YOU HAVE NO PALI DICT AT HAND

                              ON A MIRROR SITE I PUT MOST OF THE TEXTS WHICH MY
                              GEOCITIES WEBSITE CANT CARRY ANY LONGER ( TO MUCH IN
                              SIZE)

                              WITH METTÂ

                              Lenny

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                                Hello, Doug!

                                DB> Would it be possible to send me Lily de Silva's 'Pali Primer' with answer
                                DB> key as well, if you would be so kind?

                                I have sent you a copy, and to all others who asked for it.

                                DB> Does Paali have sandhi between words, as does Samskrta? (It would seem not,
                                DB> from what I've seen, but I just want to check that out.)

                                Yes, Pali has sandhi. It is described in detail in paragraphs 17-27 of
                                Pali Grammar by Charles Duroiselle
                                http://www.metta.lk/pali-utils/index.html

                                DB> In which script is Paali most usually written? I am familiar with the
                                DB> Devanagari script, but I've seen Sri Lankan websites where the Paali is
                                DB> written in Sinhala script. *Is* there a "normal" script for Paali,

                                There's no standard script.

                                DB> or is it
                                DB> simply written in whatever script the writer normally uses, i.e. Sinhala
                                DB> script for Sinhala-speakers, Devanagari script for speakers of
                                DB> Samskrta/Hindi-speakers, and presumably Roman script for speakers of
                                DB> European languages?

                                Indeed it is written in local scripts. One can only guess what were
                                the 'early' scripts.

                                There's a description of interesting early manuscript in Gandhari
                                language at http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/fragments.html

                                And you can find a lot of Pali introductory information and links at
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/files/

                                Metta,
                                Dimitry
                              • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 7, 2002
                                  Hi Lenny,

                                  Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                                  on-line website translator at http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                                  You are welcome to read my Russian site http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                                  using the same translation service.

                                  The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that you
                                  have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                                  read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                                  Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                                  further information.

                                  Metta,
                                  Dimitry
                                • Lennart Zieger
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 8, 2002
                                    Dear Dimitry!

                                    Pleased that you know about those great Sri Lankan
                                    teachers...
                                    It is true, I was living for a couple of yeas at
                                    Venerable Nananandas aranya as a monk and pupil of
                                    him. He knows not only the canon by heart and has
                                    great knowledge of the commentaries, but really put it
                                    into practise... under Ven. Nanaramas guidance he
                                    became somewhat his formost pupils and lives nowadays
                                    a very secluded live with five Austrian monks and some
                                    sinhalese monks. All there profit from his intrinsic
                                    knowledge .. he is somewhat a "secret" tip among
                                    sinhalese aranya bhikkhus. Because of personal reasons
                                    i unfortunately had to disrobe, but i recommend to
                                    meet him, once you come to Sri Lanka. If you like i
                                    post you part of his islandwide famous NIBBANA
                                    sermons, which are really great, as they sho, that the
                                    what the suttas tell is, correctly´understood
                                    appliable even today in meditation....

                                    after all, he encourages meditators...

                                    abourt ven. Amatagavesi i have my doubts, met some of
                                    his supporters and former pupils...

                                    mettâya

                                    Lenny

                                    --- "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
                                    <sangha@...> schrieb: > Hi Lenny,

                                    > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it
                                    > with the help of
                                    > on-line website translator at
                                    > http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .
                                    >
                                    > You are welcome to read my Russian site
                                    > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/
                                    > using the same translation service.
                                    >
                                    > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting.
                                    > It seems that you
                                    > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan
                                    > teachers. I have
                                    > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and
                                    > Ven. Amatha
                                    > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very
                                    > grateful for any
                                    > further information.
                                    >
                                    > Metta,
                                    > Dimitry

                                    Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de
                                  • kotus123
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                                      Dimitry,

                                      HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.
                                      http:// geocities.com/lenni_lop/ gets translated but when I click on
                                      the Meditation button on the left it doesn't go any further.
                                      So I went back to the translator page and typed in the url as the
                                      meditation page url appears in my browser window, in the translator
                                      url box as follows
                                      http://geocities.com/lenni_lop/meditation.htm
                                      but the result is only a blank page.
                                      PLEASE help - dying to read the info there. I have read Ven
                                      Nanarama's Seven Stages of Purification & have seen a another title
                                      which I forget and haven't read. Can you please give me the titles
                                      and if possible ISBN #, publisher name etc of teh books by Ven
                                      Nananada and Amita Gavesi. Regret troubling you.
                                      Hope you recived the direct post re Pali primer and Thanks again.
                                      Metta,
                                      Renuka.

                                      Dimitry Ivakhnenko wrote:
                                      > Hi Lenny,
                                      >
                                      > Your website is truly useful. I managed to read it with the help of
                                      > on-line website translator at
                                      http://www.translate.ru/eng/srvurl.asp .

                                      > The 'Meditation' article is especially interesting. It seems that
                                      you
                                      > have an extensive knowledge of foremost Sri Lankan teachers. I have
                                      > read the works of Ven. Nanarama, Ven. Nanananda, and Ven. Amatha
                                      > Gavesi with vivid interest, and would be very grateful for any
                                      > further information.
                                    • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                                        Hi Renuka,

                                        k> HOW did you access Lenny's mediattion page with your translator site.

                                        Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and applied some
                                        patience.

                                        What can I say? Try again. Geocities have bad connection and pop-up
                                        windows, so sometimes large files just don't load.

                                        Or, better yet, ask Lenny himself for full information ;^)

                                        In the end of this message you will find a passage from
                                        'Meditation.htm' relating to the modern meditation movements, in
                                        computer translation (somewhat corrected).

                                        Another title by Ven Nanarama is 'The Seven Contemplations of Insight'
                                        published by BPS.

                                        The booklet by Ven. Nanananda that I have read is:

                                        Seeing Through: A Guide to Insight Meditation
                                        Printed for free distribution by J.Alwis
                                        T.P.G.N.Leelaratne & U.Sapukotana
                                        (no year, no ISBN, no publisher indicated)

                                        There is also his book downloadable from BPS:

                                        From Tupsy-turvydom to Wisdom
                                        http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/ttw/text-1.pdf

                                        The meditation instructions of Ven. Amatha Gavesi are available at:
                                        http://web.singnet.com.sg/~vajiro/9_insight.htm

                                        Glad to help you,
                                        Dimitry

                                        8. Theravada meditation movements of the modern age

                                        In this connection, I do not want to limit myself only to Sri Lanka,
                                        and also in more than one short enumeration:

                                        One may attach big importance to the Birman Vipassana-centres represented
                                        everywhere in the country which were involved
                                        considerably in the meditation euphoria like we find them in
                                        Myanmar to expand among the sinhalesischen nonprofessional's
                                        Buddhists. But the case was with far less success than in Burma. Some
                                        eminent sinhalesische monk-older practiced criticism of the
                                        Vipassana-only Attitude of the Birman centres and cared for disconcertion
                                        and scepticism. Unfortunately, must also be mentioned that the quality
                                        of these centres in the course of the last ten years has got worse
                                        drastically. This concerns not only two biggest centres, the
                                        international Lanka Vipassana Centre in Colombo under the
                                        administration Ven. Pemasiri and the international Vipassana
                                        Meditation Centre in Kanduboda under the administration Ven.
                                        Madawala Upali (both by different teaching views the whole Birman
                                        Vipassana Medal group ( the Shweyin " Nikaya in two warehouses split)
                                        but also many their twig monasteries scattered about the whole
                                        country(land) (how zB. in a suburb Gampahas) in this tradition
                                        numerous books appeared to the meditation. The most important
                                        personality and author of innumerable books is the late a few years
                                        ago Rerukane Chandananda Mahathera.

                                        In the area from samatha however, meditation does itself in Sri Lanka
                                        far more:

                                        Here there are some " monastische groups similar to sect and
                                        nonprofessional's movements from what

                                        The respectable Amatagavesi, to itself also in other sudostasiat. To
                                        countries(lands) of big popularity pleases (first of all Singapore,
                                        one of the biggest pecuniary resources sinhalesischer buddh.
                                        Meditation movements) and by a completely new-designed meditation
                                        system that complicates very much and relatively unleaned in the
                                        Palikanon should be, falls out.

                                        Only a good name retains from a few decades still so praiseworthy in
                                        the book Forest Monks Of Sri Lanka " represented Sri Kalyani Samstha,
                                        a community of the forest monasteries whose group is estimated
                                        at about 250. First of all by the temple monks of the cities in the
                                        medal to carried partly frightening signs of decay (money and property
                                        assemblage, political activity, sexual misdemeanours) rapidly spread
                                        under sinhalesischen Sangha. Although such tendencies again release
                                        counterreforms and solved, brings the consensus of the wide population
                                        which pursues this development, certainly, anxiously, however, no
                                        interest in it has to intervene (on account of possible bad karma that
                                        from it could appear so the propaganda of some of the more modern "
                                        monks), these quickly to a hold. Also aggressive nonprofessional's
                                        organizations like the Vinaya-Wardhana strengthen rather the distrust
                                        in reform attempts of nonprofessional's side which one, however,
                                        earlier or later, can not becomes renounce.

                                        To such a small reform group within the Waldmonchsanghas the strict
                                        monk's municipality can around the respectable one Nanananda to the
                                        Mitirigala which carry, however, again only too often character
                                        similar to sect and with those of alleged Arahats and media is teeming
                                        . for a moment, anyhow, groups exciting for mostly sensation.

                                        Then Versteut we still can in Sri Lanka to forests, ascetic meditative
                                        monks find: first of all who is near Adam Peak should know that we
                                        have here one of the favorite national parks of meditative monks. He
                                        solved with it the Yala national park from which can not grant the
                                        care basis of the monks by frightened and in consequence wandered
                                        through nonprofessionals by the belligerent discussions with the LLTE
                                        any more.

                                        As an island-wide known and estimated meditation teacher would still
                                        be named last of all the Mr. Ananda de Silva teaching in Kalutara,
                                        unfortunately, however, pupils in the 50th to such celebrity got
                                        already late Sri Matara Nanarama Mahathera (on which nearly all
                                        current meditation masters refer). Mr de Silva could move big
                                        shifts of the population to regular meditating with his system
                                        there aimed on loving goodness.
                                      • Renuka Weerasekera
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 10, 2002
                                          Hello Dimitry,

                                          A gentle prod towards a lesson in 'khanti'.Yes, I
                                          will.
                                          And thankyou.

                                          > Just copied the URL in the translator URL box, and
                                          > applied some
                                          > patience.
                                          >
                                          > What can I say? Try again. >

                                          metta,