pali font encoding

  • junet9876
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
      To those who know something about font coding/encoding:

      I am making a website, and I was wondering, how can you make
      Google search your site properly if your site contain Pali fonts? The
      search results show weird characters (for example, squares or other
      funny looking marks)...I am just using the regular Tahoma fonts which
      can be used to write Pali (well on my computer anyway). I was
      wondering if this is a universal font (meaning others on windows
      wouldn't need to install extra fonts).

      I hope that makes sense. I was wondering if someone could please help
      me.

      Any hints much appreciated.

      Thank you very much,
      June
    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
        for all kind of unicode--character-viewing-troubles: i found the mozilla firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) be more reliable when it comes to display HTML Unicode characters (as far as i remember, they have built in unicode support)...

        mettâya,

        Lennart
        To those who know something about font coding/encoding:

        I am making a website, and I was wondering, how can you make
        Google search your site properly if your site contain Pali fonts? The
        search results show weird characters (for example, squares or other
        funny looking marks)...I am just using the regular Tahoma fonts which
        can be used to write Pali (well on my computer anyway). I was
        wondering if this is a universal font (meaning others on windows
        wouldn't need to install extra fonts).

        I hope that makes sense. I was wondering if someone could please help
        me.

        Any hints much appreciated.

        Thank you very much,
        June

        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

      • Clay Collier
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
          I'm sure Tahoma isn't the font that Google uses to display search
          results- so when Google puts your page into its own fonts to display
          as a search result, it will replace characters that aren't in the font
          set that it employs with markers to indicate that there was a
          character there that could not be displayed in the new font- usually
          the little square you are seeing. You could try using HTML character
          entities to replace the characters that have diacritical markings.
          You can use character entities to display correctly for most
          computers, and can use them to reproduce any character in the Unicode
          standard (including diacritical marks and characters in other
          languages, like Thai or Sinhala).

          This link provides information about using HTML entities to represent
          Unicode; it is specific to a collaborative site that I visit a lot,
          but the majority of the information is generally applicable to the
          web.
          http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Using%20Unicode%20on%20E2

          I've used the method of replacing diacriticals with Unicode placed
          with HTML entities to write proper diacritical markings for Pali
          previously; it displays properly for most browsers, and I think it
          will work with Google's result display (I've seen some ampersands
          encoded as HTML elements that display fine).

          You might also consider using Meta tags to help indicate to Google
          what to display as a search result, if you aren't already.

          Does anyone on the list know of a good set of links for this sort of
          information? If some exist, it would make an excellent addition to
          the link list, or to our theoretical Pali Wiki.

          Clay Collier
        • Walter Stanish
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
            > Does anyone on the list know of a good set of links for this sort of
            > information?

            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/pali/#unicode

            HTML character entities and actual unicode-encoded characters should be
            (are?) exactly the same to browsers.

            - Walter
          • junet9876
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
              Dear Clay, Lennart, and Walter,

              Thank you for all the information. Yup I think I am using the HTML
              character entities, I just didn't know I was doing that :p Here's where I
              ran into some problems. Suppose I were to copy and paste the
              word "Koṇḍaññassa" into the google search box, what I get back are
              weird characters. The long vowels work fine, but when it comes to the
              dots over or under the characters, you get boxes.

              Has anyone ever had this same problem?

              Thank you,
              June

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Walter Stanish <walter@p...> wrote:

              > > Does anyone on the list know of a good set of links for this sort of
              > > information?
              >
              > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/pali/#unicode
              >
              > HTML character entities and actual unicode-encoded characters
              should be
              > (are?) exactly the same to browsers.
              >
              > - Walter
            • junet9876
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
                Dear Clay,

                What tags exactly do we use to tell Google what to display? Is this
                Google-specific or is it a general search engine thing?

                What's Pali Wiki?

                Thank you, (And also thanks for your detailed explanation!! I appreciate
                it!!)
                June

                > You might also consider using Meta tags to help indicate to Google
                > what to display as a search result, if you aren't already.
                >
                > Does anyone on the list know of a good set of links for this sort of
                > information? If some exist, it would make an excellent addition to
                > the link list, or to our theoretical Pali Wiki.
                >
                > Clay Collier
              • Walter Stanish
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
                  > Suppose I were to copy and paste the
                  > word "Koṇḍaññassa" into the google search box, what I get back are
                  > weird characters. The long vowels work fine, but when it comes to the
                  > dots over or under the characters, you get boxes.

                  If you see the correct search results, and click them to see those pages
                  load correctly, I wouldn't be concerned about a few characters off in
                  the page summaries. Unicode browsing still isn't 100% mature and it
                  wouldn't be too weird to find obscure bugs in browsers (or even Google!)
                  at this stage. Personally I can see those characters OK, but they do
                  appear strangely (as if Mozilla has gone out to find another font that
                  can render them correctly). I'd suggest first checking that your
                  browser is set to unicode rendering (UTF8), or failing that install
                  Mozilla or Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/) if you haven't already.

                  - Walter
                • Clay Collier
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
                    It looks like this may be a browser issue; I see the squares that you
                    are talking about when I try your test case with Internet Explorer,
                    but the proper diacritical marks with Firefox. Changing the text
                    encoding in Internet Explorer seems to have no effect. You might try
                    using Firefox yourself, if this is a problem for you, but I can't
                    think of a way off hand to ensure that it shows up correctly for other
                    people who are viewing the search results using Internet Explorer.

                    Clay Collier

                    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:18:50 -0000, junet9876 <junet9876@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Clay, Lennart, and Walter,
                    >
                    > Thank you for all the information. Yup I think I am using the HTML
                    > character entities, I just didn't know I was doing that :p Here's where I
                    > ran into some problems. Suppose I were to copy and paste the
                    > word "Koṇḍaññassa" into the google search box, what I get back
                    > are
                    > weird characters. The long vowels work fine, but when it comes to the
                    > dots over or under the characters, you get boxes.
                    >
                    > Has anyone ever had this same problem?
                    >
                    > Thank you,
                    > June
                    >

                    > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Walter Stanish <walter@p...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Does anyone on the list know of a good set of links for this sort of
                    > > > information?
                    > >
                    > > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/pali/#unicode
                    > >
                    > > HTML character entities and actual unicode-encoded characters
                    > should be
                    > > (are?) exactly the same to browsers.
                    > >
                    > > - Walter

                    > Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or web
                    > only.

                  • Clay Collier
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 17, 2005
                      Meta tags are components of the header of an HTML page that give
                      'hints' to search engines and other crawlers as to what a page or site
                      contains. The 'description' tag is often used to provide a concise
                      description of what a website contains, and so is often used by search
                      engines as the short text displayed with the page title in a search
                      result page. I believe that Google uses them in search results, but
                      they are not specific to any single search engine or website.

                      These two links describe the way these tags are used:
                      http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167931
                      http://www.philb.com/metatag.htm

                      Of course, if you change the Meta tags on your sites, you may not see
                      the changes in the Google results page until the page is re-indexed by
                      Google's bots, which may take several days or longer.

                      Oh, and the 'Pali Wiki' thing was just a remark to the list regarding
                      an earlier thread about creating a Wiki-style system for storing
                      Pali-related information.

                      On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:25:52 -0000, junet9876 <junet9876@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Clay,
                      >
                      > What tags exactly do we use to tell Google what to display? Is this
                      > Google-specific or is it a general search engine thing?
                      >
                      > What's Pali Wiki?
                      >
                      > Thank you, (And also thanks for your detailed explanation!! I appreciate
                      > it!!)
                      > June
                      >

                      > > You might also consider using Meta tags to help indicate to Google
                      > > what to display as a search result, if you aren't already.
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone on the list know of a good set of links for this sort of
                      > > information? If some exist, it would make an excellent addition to
                      > > the link list, or to our theoretical Pali Wiki.
                      > >
                      > > Clay Collier

                      > Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or web
                      > only.

                    • junet9876
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 18, 2005
                        Ok I'll get Firefox.

                        Thank you for everybody's help :)

                        i still dont get unicode, and i dont want to take the time to understand
                        it...i just wanna get by!!

                        June

                        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Walter Stanish <walter@p...> wrote:

                        > > Suppose I were to copy and paste the
                        > > word "Koṇḍaññassa" into the google search box,
                        what I get back are
                        > > weird characters. The long vowels work fine, but when it comes to
                        the
                        > > dots over or under the characters, you get boxes.
                        >
                        > If you see the correct search results, and click them to see those
                        pages
                        > load correctly, I wouldn't be concerned about a few characters off in
                        > the page summaries. Unicode browsing still isn't 100% mature and it
                        > wouldn't be too weird to find obscure bugs in browsers (or even
                        Google!)
                        > at this stage. Personally I can see those characters OK, but they do
                        > appear strangely (as if Mozilla has gone out to find another font that
                        > can render them correctly). I'd suggest first checking that your
                        > browser is set to unicode rendering (UTF8), or failing that install
                        > Mozilla or Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/) if you haven't already.
                        >
                        > - Walter
                      • junet9876
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 18, 2005
                          Ok I'll get Firefox.

                          Thank you for everyone's help :)

                          I still don't get unicode, and dont want to take the time to understand it
                          (would probably take forever)...i just wanna get by!!!

                          (I am okay though, just in case i dont sound like i am)

                          Take care,

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 18, 2005
                            Dear Bhante Pesala, June, Lennart, Clay, Walter and friends,

                            June: you have asked a difficult question. :-) The display of
                            characters on the screen depends very much on many factors, including
                            the (version of) operating system, (the version of) browser program
                            and the original encoding technique. Google does not change any of
                            your text. So, a match will depend on whether what the user input
                            matches with your text. If there is a match, the links will be
                            displayed together with a sampling of your page. As Walter suggested,
                            usually people will simply click on the link and check out the page.

                            There's been plenty of discussion of Unicode, and I think we are
                            heading in that direction. This is the result of years of
                            collaboration, technological advancement and the internet culture.
                            It's only a matter of time our mobile phones (and digital watches)
                            can display Unicode characters. So, I'd advise you consider using
                            Unicode for your site. Here is another thread of discussion:

                            You may like to use the Javascript Alex provided on his site, which I
                            think is a cool idea.