Re: Pali Day by Day [D Series] Recovery

    Message 1 of 1247 , Jan 4, 2005
      Dear Rett and friends,

      thanks for bringing that up. Unfortunately, 'saka' is never mentioned
      in the book, am I correct with the following sentence:

      Puññakaarii saka.m mutti.m labhissanti.

      I will also highlight in the answer compilation that it is fine and
      common practice to leave the possessive pronouns untranslated. But, I
      think it is good to put them in for the exercise.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rett wrote:

      I'm not 100% sure here, but I wonder if _tesa.m_ and _tassaa_ in the
      below examples might be an unidiomatic choice of words. It sounds to
      my ear in both cases like someone else's deliverance or someone
      else's sister respectively. Perhaps the adjective _saka_ 'own' would
      be a better choice? Or some other solution, such as just leaving the
      words 'their' and 'her' untranslated altogether.

      >2. The well-doers will obtain their deliverance.
      > puññakaarii / labhissanti / tesa.m / mutti.m
      > Puññakaarii tesa.m mutti.m labhissanti.
      >
      >4. She went to school with her sister.
      > saa / agami / paa.thasaala.m / bhaginiyaa saddhi.m
      > Saa tassaa bhaginiyaa saddhi.m paa.thasaala.m agami.
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hello Jayarava and friends,

        Dhivan