Re: [Pali] Pali Day by Day [D Series] Recovery

  • Govinadsamy Gopalakrishna
    Message 1 of 1247 , Jan 4, 2005
      Brother Sukhdev, take one step at a time. You cannot master this subject by simply folowing those who are far ahead. Please devot some time on this subject i.e. start with the basic first.

      Best Regards.

      Sukhdev Singh <sukh2val@...> wrote:

      Hi Ong Yong Peng,

      So far I have been 'lurking ' around this forum quite
      passively, not being able to follow the higher level
      of Pali being discussed.

      I remember when I first joined this group the
      www.tipitaka.net site was down for quite some time, so
      I thought that 'everybody' had a textbook or something
      of that sort to refer to for their studies and
      discussion. Apparently, some of the posts did give me
      the clear impression that most of the interested and
      active participants did have access to such material.

      Now that I have run into your "welcome address" laced
      with a tiptitaka.org page I could certainly appreciate
      some advice on what offline (meaning 'off the forum
      line') homework can I do to 'catch up'. I dont think
      I will be able to 'catch up' nevertheless, some advice
      will really be helpful.

      I have collected myself quite a bit of Dhammadana
      printed Bhuddhist literature most of which is not
      orientated towards the learning of Pali but amongst
      the few publications that I have bought myself is Ven.
      Nyanatiloka's "Buddhist Dictionary".

      Thanks

      Sukhdev Singh

      --- Ong Yong Peng wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > this is where we left off at the end of October:
      >

      > An Elementary Pali Course
      >
      > Exercise 10-B: Translate into Pali.
      >
      > 2. The well-doers will obtain their deliverance.
      > puññakaarii / labhissanti / tesa.m / mutti.m
      > Puññakaarii tesa.m mutti.m labhissanti.
      >
      > 3. My husband mounted the elephant and fell on the
      > ground.
      > mayha.m / saamii / aaruhitvaa / hatthi.m / pati /
      > bhuumiya.m
      > Mayha.m saamii hatthi.m aaruhitvaa bhuumiya.m
      > pati.
      >
      > 4. She went to school with her sister.
      > saa / agami / paa.thasaala.m / bhaginiyaa
      > saddhi.m
      > Saa tassaa bhaginiyaa saddhi.m paa.thasaala.m
      > agami.
      >
      > 5. The queen's mother is certainly a wise lady.
      > mahesiyaa / jananii / hoti / have / medhaavinii
      > Mahesiyaa jananii have medhaavinii hoti.
      >

      > For those who have just joined us, please refer to
      > this page
      > http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/ for more
      > information and answer
      > sets of previous exercises for Series D.
      >

      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

      Yahoo! Messenger