Re: [Pali] Re: OT Dating the Historical Buddha

  • Govinadsamy Gopalakrishna
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
      Brother Ong, I agree and support you. We should refrain discussing non-related topics here.

      Best Regards.

      Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...> wrote:

      Dear Sukhdev, Jadhao and friends,

      please refrain from discussing RSS, "Hindustan" and non-related
      topics here. I will be reviewing previous messages, and all
      irrelevant ones will be disposed of from the archive.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Sukhdev Singh wrote:

      My second matter is that which R.O. Jadhao has refered to and that is
      the RSS.

      Yahoo! Mobile
      - Download the latest ringtones, games, and more!

    • Gunnar Gällmo
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
        --- Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...> skrev:
        Most
        > Buddhists follow
        > the World Fellowship of Buddhist (WFB) in
        > determining the current
        > year, known as Buddhist Era (B.E.). This is based on
        > the common dates
        > that the Buddha was born in B.C.E.623 and attained
        > final nibbana in
        > B.C.E.543.
        >
        > The new year of the B.E. begins on Vesak Day (22 May
        > in 2005).
        > Presently, it is B.E.2548, and it will be B.E.2549
        > on May 22. Next
        > year Vesak, we will be celebrating B.E.2550.

        This is correct according to the variety used in
        Ceylon, Burma and Siam, where the year of the Buddha's
        passing away is counted as year 1.

        In Siam, Laos and Cambodia, however, that same year is
        counted as year 0, so the year 2500 started in 1956 in
        the western countries, but in 1957 in the eastern
        ones.

        On Thai coins and bank-notes, I think the Buddhist
        year is calculated according to the eastern variety -
        with the further complication that they start it not
        on Vesak day but January 1:st...

        If anyone wonders about Western chronology, the
        supposed year of the birth of Christ is counted as
        year 1. There is no year 0 in Christian chronology, as
        it was launched before the concept 0 was known in the
        west. I think the very word "zero" comes from Arabic
        "sifr", and the Arabs took the concept from India;
        when the Indians started using it, I don't know.

        Whether the starting years are actually quite in
        accordance with historical facts, I think few
        historians believe they are.

        Gunnar

        =====
        gunnargallmo@...