Re: namassati and namaste

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
      Dear Rett, Jadhao and friends,

      thanks for the information. That is very useful.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, R.O.Jadhao wrote:

      I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
        "I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste"

        is sanskrit. Means "salutations to you".I do not know how it is said in pali.

        Where can we get pali grammar on-line?

        Metta,

        Vishwanath

        "R.O.Jadhao" <jadhao@...> wrote:

        I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

        R.O. Jadhao
        > >I am just curious. Does namaste has the same root as Pali namassati?
        > >Do they have the same meaning?
        > >
        > >>From the PED, namassati is a verb, meaning to pay honour to, to
        > >venerate, to do homage to.
        > >
        > >What about namaste?
        >
        > namaste = namas te
        >
        > namas is a noun, and te is a second person dative enclitic form. honour to
        you.

        > namas is the Sanskrit form which in Pali is almost always represented
        > by 'namo' as in "namo tassa bhagavato" (note the dative/genitives).
        > One could also say "namo buddhaaya", using an explicitly dative form.
        >
        > I believe the verb namassati is a denominative verb, that is to say a
        > verb derived by adding the '-ya' suffix to a noun. namas + ya + ti.
        > the 'y' assimilates to the preceding -s- yielding namas-sa-ti.
        >
        > best regards,
        >
        > /Rett

        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

      • rett
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
          >I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

          The reason I prefer to write 'namas' is that the stem form really is
          namas, with a final -s, like manas, apsaras. This is visible from the
          forms namaskaroti and namasyati, and is the form in which the word
          is cited in Apte, for example. There is a sandhi rule that 's' in
          final position > visarga (.h) but I wouldn't apply it in the above
          explication since it involves the detour: s > .h > s

          best regards,

          /Rett
        • R.O.Jadhao
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
            anyways.. namaste and namaskar are most widely salutations used in India.
            They can be used at any time of the day (as opposed to good morning etc.)

            Rajendra Jadhao