Re: OT Dating the Historical Buddha

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
      Dear Sukhdev and friends,

      sorry I missed out your first question earlier. Most Buddhists follow
      the World Fellowship of Buddhist (WFB) in determining the current
      year, known as Buddhist Era (B.E.). This is based on the common dates
      that the Buddha was born in B.C.E.623 and attained final nibbana in
      B.C.E.543.

      The new year of the B.E. begins on Vesak Day (22 May in 2005).
      Presently, it is B.E.2548, and it will be B.E.2549 on May 22. Next
      year Vesak, we will be celebrating B.E.2550.

      The B.E. may not be the most accurate dating, and scholars may like
      to have other alternatives provided for their studies. However, this
      is one of the most established dating.

      Using this dating, the Buddha passed away 2548 years ago. Given that
      he lived for 80 years, the Buddha was born 2548 + 80 = 2628 years
      ago, and that will be B.C.E.623 (2628 - 2004 - 1).

      Hope that helps.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Sukhdev Singh wrote:

      I have been 'lightly' following this subject due to the many weblinks
      that have been offered for referal (couldnt make time to read all of
      them). I have just one query for the moment, and that is, what is
      the current "Buddhist date", including the "name of the year".
    • Govinadsamy Gopalakrishna
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
        Brother Ong, I agree and support you. We should refrain discussing non-related topics here.

        Best Regards.

        Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...> wrote:

        Dear Sukhdev, Jadhao and friends,

        please refrain from discussing RSS, "Hindustan" and non-related
        topics here. I will be reviewing previous messages, and all
        irrelevant ones will be disposed of from the archive.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Sukhdev Singh wrote:

        My second matter is that which R.O. Jadhao has refered to and that is
        the RSS.

        Yahoo! Mobile
        - Download the latest ringtones, games, and more!

      • Gunnar Gällmo
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
          --- Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...> skrev:
          Most
          > Buddhists follow
          > the World Fellowship of Buddhist (WFB) in
          > determining the current
          > year, known as Buddhist Era (B.E.). This is based on
          > the common dates
          > that the Buddha was born in B.C.E.623 and attained
          > final nibbana in
          > B.C.E.543.
          >
          > The new year of the B.E. begins on Vesak Day (22 May
          > in 2005).
          > Presently, it is B.E.2548, and it will be B.E.2549
          > on May 22. Next
          > year Vesak, we will be celebrating B.E.2550.

          This is correct according to the variety used in
          Ceylon, Burma and Siam, where the year of the Buddha's
          passing away is counted as year 1.

          In Siam, Laos and Cambodia, however, that same year is
          counted as year 0, so the year 2500 started in 1956 in
          the western countries, but in 1957 in the eastern
          ones.

          On Thai coins and bank-notes, I think the Buddhist
          year is calculated according to the eastern variety -
          with the further complication that they start it not
          on Vesak day but January 1:st...

          If anyone wonders about Western chronology, the
          supposed year of the birth of Christ is counted as
          year 1. There is no year 0 in Christian chronology, as
          it was launched before the concept 0 was known in the
          west. I think the very word "zero" comes from Arabic
          "sifr", and the Arabs took the concept from India;
          when the Indians started using it, I don't know.

          Whether the starting years are actually quite in
          accordance with historical facts, I think few
          historians believe they are.

          Gunnar

          =====
          gunnargallmo@...