Re: [Pali] namassati and namaste

  • R.O.Jadhao
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
      I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

      R.O. Jadhao
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
        Dear Rett, Jadhao and friends,

        thanks for the information. That is very useful.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, R.O.Jadhao wrote:

        I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

        > namas is a noun, and te is a second person dative enclitic form.
        honour to you.

        > namas is the Sanskrit form which in Pali is almost always
        represented by 'namo' as in "namo tassa bhagavato" (note the
        dative/genitives). One could also say "namo buddhaaya", using an
        explicitly dative form.

        > I believe the verb namassati is a denominative verb, that is to say
        a verb derived by adding the '-ya' suffix to a noun. namas + ya + ti.
        the 'y' assimilates to the preceding -s- yielding namas-sa-ti.
      • Vishwanath Manjunath
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
          "I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste"

          is sanskrit. Means "salutations to you".I do not know how it is said in pali.

          Where can we get pali grammar on-line?

          Metta,

          Vishwanath

          "R.O.Jadhao" <jadhao@...> wrote:

          I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

          R.O. Jadhao
          > >I am just curious. Does namaste has the same root as Pali namassati?
          > >Do they have the same meaning?
          > >
          > >>From the PED, namassati is a verb, meaning to pay honour to, to
          > >venerate, to do homage to.
          > >
          > >What about namaste?
          >
          > namaste = namas te
          >
          > namas is a noun, and te is a second person dative enclitic form. honour to
          you.

          > namas is the Sanskrit form which in Pali is almost always represented
          > by 'namo' as in "namo tassa bhagavato" (note the dative/genitives).
          > One could also say "namo buddhaaya", using an explicitly dative form.
          >
          > I believe the verb namassati is a denominative verb, that is to say a
          > verb derived by adding the '-ya' suffix to a noun. namas + ya + ti.
          > the 'y' assimilates to the preceding -s- yielding namas-sa-ti.
          >
          > best regards,
          >
          > /Rett

          [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
          [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

        • rett
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
            >I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

            The reason I prefer to write 'namas' is that the stem form really is
            namas, with a final -s, like manas, apsaras. This is visible from the
            forms namaskaroti and namasyati, and is the form in which the word
            is cited in Apte, for example. There is a sandhi rule that 's' in
            final position > visarga (.h) but I wouldn't apply it in the above
            explication since it involves the detour: s > .h > s

            best regards,

            /Rett
          • R.O.Jadhao
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
              anyways.. namaste and namaskar are most widely salutations used in India.
              They can be used at any time of the day (as opposed to good morning etc.)

              Rajendra Jadhao