Re: Namaste, I am new here.

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2005
      Dear Vishwanath and friends,

      allow me to welcome all who have joined the group recently. Please
      join us in our discussion of the Pali suttas and grammar.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Vishwanath Manjunath wrote:

      I live in Pune, India. Have been introduced to Goenkaji, has read on
      theravada and want to pursue it.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
        Dear Vishwanath and friends,

        I am just curious. Does namaste has the same root as Pali namassati?
        Do they have the same meaning?

        From the PED, namassati is a verb, meaning to pay honour to, to
        venerate, to do homage to.

        What about namaste?

        Thank you.

      • rett
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
          >Dear Vishwanath and friends,
          >
          >I am just curious. Does namaste has the same root as Pali namassati?
          >Do they have the same meaning?
          >
          >>From the PED, namassati is a verb, meaning to pay honour to, to
          >venerate, to do homage to.
          >
          >What about namaste?

          namaste = namas te

          namas is a noun, and te is a second person dative enclitic form. honour to you.

          namas is the Sanskrit form which in Pali is almost always represented
          by 'namo' as in "namo tassa bhagavato" (note the dative/genitives).
          One could also say "namo buddhaaya", using an explicitly dative form.

          I believe the verb namassati is a denominative verb, that is to say a
          verb derived by adding the '-ya' suffix to a noun. namas + ya + ti.
          the 'y' assimilates to the preceding -s- yielding namas-sa-ti.

          best regards,

          /Rett
        • R.O.Jadhao
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
            I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

            R.O. Jadhao

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
              Dear Rett, Jadhao and friends,

              thanks for the information. That is very useful.

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, R.O.Jadhao wrote:

              I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

              > namas is a noun, and te is a second person dative enclitic form.
              honour to you.

              > namas is the Sanskrit form which in Pali is almost always
              represented by 'namo' as in "namo tassa bhagavato" (note the
              dative/genitives). One could also say "namo buddhaaya", using an
              explicitly dative form.

              > I believe the verb namassati is a denominative verb, that is to say
              a verb derived by adding the '-ya' suffix to a noun. namas + ya + ti.
              the 'y' assimilates to the preceding -s- yielding namas-sa-ti.
            • Vishwanath Manjunath
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
                "I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste"

                is sanskrit. Means "salutations to you".I do not know how it is said in pali.

                Where can we get pali grammar on-line?

                Metta,

                Vishwanath

                "R.O.Jadhao" <jadhao@...> wrote:

                I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

                R.O. Jadhao
                > >I am just curious. Does namaste has the same root as Pali namassati?
                > >Do they have the same meaning?
                > >
                > >>From the PED, namassati is a verb, meaning to pay honour to, to
                > >venerate, to do homage to.
                > >
                > >What about namaste?
                >
                > namaste = namas te
                >
                > namas is a noun, and te is a second person dative enclitic form. honour to
                you.

                > namas is the Sanskrit form which in Pali is almost always represented
                > by 'namo' as in "namo tassa bhagavato" (note the dative/genitives).
                > One could also say "namo buddhaaya", using an explicitly dative form.
                >
                > I believe the verb namassati is a denominative verb, that is to say a
                > verb derived by adding the '-ya' suffix to a noun. namas + ya + ti.
                > the 'y' assimilates to the preceding -s- yielding namas-sa-ti.
                >
                > best regards,
                >
                > /Rett

                [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

              • rett
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
                  >I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

                  The reason I prefer to write 'namas' is that the stem form really is
                  namas, with a final -s, like manas, apsaras. This is visible from the
                  forms namaskaroti and namasyati, and is the form in which the word
                  is cited in Apte, for example. There is a sandhi rule that 's' in
                  final position > visarga (.h) but I wouldn't apply it in the above
                  explication since it involves the detour: s > .h > s

                  best regards,

                  /Rett
                • R.O.Jadhao
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
                    anyways.. namaste and namaskar are most widely salutations used in India.
                    They can be used at any time of the day (as opposed to good morning etc.)

                    Rajendra Jadhao