Namaste, I am new here.

  • Vishwanath Manjunath
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2005
      I live in Pune, India. Have been introduced to
      Goenkaji, has read on theravada and want to pursue it.

      METTA,

      Regards to all,

      Vishwanath

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2005
        Dear Vishwanath and friends,

        allow me to welcome all who have joined the group recently. Please
        join us in our discussion of the Pali suttas and grammar.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
          Dear Vishwanath and friends,

          I am just curious. Does namaste has the same root as Pali namassati?
          Do they have the same meaning?

          From the PED, namassati is a verb, meaning to pay honour to, to
          venerate, to do homage to.

          What about namaste?

          Thank you.

        • rett
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
            >Dear Vishwanath and friends,
            >
            >I am just curious. Does namaste has the same root as Pali namassati?
            >Do they have the same meaning?
            >
            >>From the PED, namassati is a verb, meaning to pay honour to, to
            >venerate, to do homage to.
            >
            >What about namaste?

            namaste = namas te

            namas is a noun, and te is a second person dative enclitic form. honour to you.

            namas is the Sanskrit form which in Pali is almost always represented
            by 'namo' as in "namo tassa bhagavato" (note the dative/genitives).
            One could also say "namo buddhaaya", using an explicitly dative form.

            I believe the verb namassati is a denominative verb, that is to say a
            verb derived by adding the '-ya' suffix to a noun. namas + ya + ti.
            the 'y' assimilates to the preceding -s- yielding namas-sa-ti.

            best regards,

            /Rett
          • R.O.Jadhao
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
              I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

              R.O. Jadhao

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
                Dear Rett, Jadhao and friends,

                thanks for the information. That is very useful.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
                  "I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste"

                  is sanskrit. Means "salutations to you".I do not know how it is said in pali.

                  Where can we get pali grammar on-line?

                  Metta,

                  Vishwanath

                  "R.O.Jadhao" <jadhao@...> wrote:

                  I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

                  R.O. Jadhao
                  > >I am just curious. Does namaste has the same root as Pali namassati?
                  > >Do they have the same meaning?
                  > >
                  > >>From the PED, namassati is a verb, meaning to pay honour to, to
                  > >venerate, to do homage to.
                  > >
                  > >What about namaste?
                  >
                  > namaste = namas te
                  >
                  > namas is a noun, and te is a second person dative enclitic form. honour to
                  you.

                  > namas is the Sanskrit form which in Pali is almost always represented
                  > by 'namo' as in "namo tassa bhagavato" (note the dative/genitives).
                  > One could also say "namo buddhaaya", using an explicitly dative form.
                  >
                  > I believe the verb namassati is a denominative verb, that is to say a
                  > verb derived by adding the '-ya' suffix to a noun. namas + ya + ti.
                  > the 'y' assimilates to the preceding -s- yielding namas-sa-ti.
                  >
                  > best regards,
                  >
                  > /Rett

                  [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                  [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                • rett
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
                    >I think its sanskrit namah + te = namaste

                    The reason I prefer to write 'namas' is that the stem form really is
                    namas, with a final -s, like manas, apsaras. This is visible from the
                    forms namaskaroti and namasyati, and is the form in which the word
                    is cited in Apte, for example. There is a sandhi rule that 's' in
                    final position > visarga (.h) but I wouldn't apply it in the above
                    explication since it involves the detour: s > .h > s

                    best regards,

                    /Rett
                  • R.O.Jadhao
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
                      anyways.. namaste and namaskar are most widely salutations used in India.
                      They can be used at any time of the day (as opposed to good morning etc.)

                      Rajendra Jadhao