Re: [Pali] Re: Tipitaka Network: Season Greetings

  • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko (������ �����i����
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 28, 2004
      Hi Michael,

      o> You mention a digitized version of an English translation of the
      o> Chinese Canon. Do you have a link?

      There are some translations at:
      http://www.geocities.com/josmith_1_2000/buddhism/budaword/from_chinese/index.html

      Good luck,
      Dmytro
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 28, 2004
        Dear Ven. Sujato, Piya and friends,

        Bhante:

        thank you for your message. You have provided many excellent ideas, a
        few of which I have been experimenting on Tipitaka.net for a while.
        Over the past few months, several members have also written about
        possible IT projects of all sorts. I have been reading with interest,
        but can't really contribute in the discussion as I was busy with my
        studies. Studies is over now, and I am currently seeking permanent
        employment in Australia. In the meanwhile, I have looking back at the
        messages in the archive at the awesome ideas that have been presented.

        The ideas you have suggested summed up into a collaborative web
        project, and it is technically viable. However, it will require a bit
        of planning, as well as design and development, to accomplish what
        you would like to do. Nevertheless, such a community-based and
        content-driven system is available. In fact, there are several of
        these content management systems (CMS's) available, and many are
        free! Again, they may not be exactly what is needed, and will require
        not only tailoring, but possibly a high-level of design and
        development too. Also available are web database systems, and portal
        systems, forum systems and wiki systems based on those web databases,
        the most popular being mySQL, a web-based RDBMS. On top of that.
        there are also many options to deliver contents to web-users.

        The system you have suggested will have a certain impact on the way
        people learn Buddhism in the future. There will be several hurdles to
        clear. One is the issue of presenting Pali characters, and possibly
        Sanskrit, CJK, Southeast Asian scripts, and Tibetan characters. The
        rest will be the design of the site, which will basically be mainly
        programming issues at the start. Even so, I believe such a project is
        worth undertaking.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bhante Sujato wrote:

        The idea is to provide a one-stop-shop for those interested to pursue
        study of early Buddhism along comparative and historical lines.

        'Early Buddhism' means, generally speaking, the first 500 years, and
        would thus include Sutta (Agama/Nikaya), Vinaya, and Abhidhamma
        material. Later material would not be excluded, especially when it
        throws light on the early period. But the main focus of interest
        would be the shared, pre-sectarian material in the Nikayas/Agamas and
        Vinayas.

        The site will include its own content, and will also co-ordinate
        content found elsewhere on the net. Additionally we hope to promote
        feedback, utilizing some of the amazing talents of people such as on
        this yahoogroup, and actually generate new content throught the site.

        Some of the things we want to do will be quite straightforward. For
        example, one section would be for essays on early Buddhism. These can
        just be put there as pdf files for anyone to read.

        Another section would be for translations. We would not wish to
        duplicate efforts done elsewhere, so would not emphasize putting
        translations from Pali. The main aim would be to encourage
        translations of early materials from Chinese, Skt, and Tibetan.

        A further section would be devoted to original texts. Again, we would
        not put up Pali or Chinese texts (except in special circumstances),
        since these are easily available. We already have a significant
        amount of (hybrid) sanskrit versions of the early suttas in digital
        format, and would hope to eventually include all the available Skt
        material (which is becoming quite a large amount).

        A further large-scale project would be to include correspondence
        tables. The concordances between the Nikayas and Agamas were first
        done by Akanuma in 1929, and his is still the only work available to
        English speakers in the subject. It has all the errors one can only
        expect from a groundbreaking work of this scope. Rod Bucknell has
        compiled an updated concordance, using the revised tables in the
        modern Fo Guang edition of the Agamas. But even these have their
        errors. Ven Analayo is working through the Majjhima, and in a year or
        two will have completed this project, including a thourough revision
        of all concordances. I have done a little work on the Samyutta,
        enought to convince me that the job needs a more thorough going-over.

        So anyway, these concordance tables can be included in the website.
        Now, just to put them up there would already be a great service,
        making widely available concordances that are more accurate and easy
        to use than the standard edition. But we can do much more than that.

        I envisage creating a system whereby each reference in the
        concordance can be linked to the actual sutta on the web. So you look
        at the concordance under, say, DN 1. You click on the Pali link, that
        takes you to the Pali version of the sutta. You click on the Chinese
        ref, that takes you to the CBETA site for the Chinese version. If
        there is a Skt version, that link takes you there. Translations can
        also be included: one click takes you to the English trans of the
        Pali, another to the English trans of the Chinese (which in fact
        already exists on the web). The system can be extended to include
        relevant commentaries, studies, etc.

        Obviously we are starting to talk about a big project here. It might
        be useful to start out with a manageable chunk as a pilot project.
        Perhaps we could do the Digha before proceeding with the other
        collections.