Re: [Tipitaka] Mallika Sutta: Mallika Discourse

  • Renuka Weerasekera
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      Mallika Discourse">Dutiya Vagga, Kosala Samyutta,
      Sagatha Vagga Samyutta,
      Samyutta Nikaya, Suttanta Pitaka FIVE SAMYUTTAS FROM
      SAGATHAVAGGA SAMYUTTA
      Translated by U Tin U (Myaung), Yangon
      Edited by the Editorial Committee, Burma (Myanmar)
      Tipitaka Association, 1998

      The Bhagava was staying at Savatthi...
      At that time King Pasenadi of Kosala approached the
      Bhagava, made obeisance,
      and sat at a suitable place. Then a cettain man went
      near the King and
      whispered into his ears, Queen Mallika has given
      birth to a daughterThe King was unhappy at the news.
      And the
      Bhagava, knowing that King Pasenadi of Kosala was
      unhappy, uttered these verses
      at that time
      ;Some women, too, are noble, ; for they are wise
      and virtuous; ; they treat their
      parents-in-law as devas; they serve their
      husbands faithfully; So, Lord of Men,
      bring the daughter up well. Lord of all
      Quarters, to such a virtuous
      woman may be born a son ; who is brave and is
      able to guide and rule the country>End of the Mallika
      Sutta

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • Sharon Khoo
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2001
        Thank you very much for the below. I'm very greatful
        for your help.

        Thank you once again.

        With Metta,
        Sharon Khoo

        --- Renuka Weerasekera <kotus123@...> wrote:
        > Mallika Discourse">Dutiya Vagga, Kosala Samyutta,
        > Sagatha Vagga Samyutta,
        > Samyutta Nikaya, Suttanta Pitaka FIVE SAMYUTTAS FROM
        > SAGATHAVAGGA SAMYUTTA
        > Translated by U Tin U (Myaung), Yangon
        > Edited by the Editorial Committee, Burma (Myanmar)
        > Tipitaka Association, 1998
        >
        > The Bhagava was staying at Savatthi...
        > At that time King Pasenadi of Kosala approached the
        > Bhagava, made obeisance,
        > and sat at a suitable place. Then a cettain man went
        > near the King and
        > whispered into his ears, Queen Mallika has given
        > birth to a daughterThe King was unhappy at the news.
        > And the
        > Bhagava, knowing that King Pasenadi of Kosala was
        > unhappy, uttered these verses
        > at that time
        > ;Some women, too, are noble, ; for they are wise
        > and virtuous; ; they treat their
        > parents-in-law as devas; they serve their
        > husbands faithfully; So, Lord of Men,
        > bring the daughter up well. Lord of all
        > Quarters, to such a virtuous
        > woman may be born a son ; who is brave and is
        > able to guide and rule the country>End of the
        > Mallika
        > Sutta

        > Everything you'll ever need on one web page from
        > News and Sport to Email and Music Charts
        > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Renuka Weerasekera
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2001
          Hello Sharon,
          You're welcome, and actually I got it through
          Tipitaka@yahoogroups.com so perhaps you could think of
          subscribing there. They send a small sutta like that
          periodically. They desrve your thanks really not I!!
          All the best
          with metta,
          Renuka.

          --- Sharon Khoo <skhoo72@...> wrote: > Thank you