No Existential Residues In Parinibbaana

  • abhidhammika@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2001
      Dear Pali Friends

      The following is an updated reply to a recent request of Robert
      Kirkpatrick regarding an untranslated Paali passage he found in Pali
      Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary. It is a translation of a
      Paali Atthakathaa passage on the topic of 'Parinibbaana'. As PTS
      dictionary hasn't translated it yet, you may well be reading the
      first translation of the Paali passage in question.

      Best Wishes!

      Suan

      Dear Robert Kirkpatrick

      How are you?

      The follwoing quote from Section 89, Dhammapada Atthakathaa clearly
      tells us that there is no consciousness component in Parinibbaana
      after the death of an Arahant.

      I tried my best to provide as lateral a translation as possible -
      syntatically in particular - while making sure that the readers can
      read as natural English as possible. If you found any unclear points
      in the translation, please let me know. My present translation has
      been influenced by Nibbaanadhaatu Sutta Atthakathaa in Itivutta
      Atthakathaa.

      "Parinibbutaa naama arahattapattito patthaaya kilesavattassa
      khepitattaa sa-upaadisesena, carimacittanirodhena khandhavattassa
      khepitattaa anupaadisesena caati dviihi parinibbaanehi
      parinibbutaa, anupaadaano viya padiipo apannattikabhaavaam gataati
      attho."

      "`Parinibbutaa' is the ultimate cool by means of two-way complete
      extinguishments, one with the existential residues emptied of
      defilement machinery ever since attainment of Arahatta awakening, and
      the other without the existential residues emptied of psychophysical
      machinery by termination of the last mind (the dying consciousness).
      It has the meaning of reaching the state of the undefined reality
      like the lamp without fuel."

      Parinibbaana - complete extinguishment
      Kilesavatta - defilement machinery (vatta is literally circle, cycle,
      or round. We have 'Vicious Circle' in English.)
      Khandhavatta - psychophysical machinery
      Apannattikabhaavo - the state of undefined reality

      Upaadiseso - existential residues (upaadi is merely another name of
      pancakkhadhaa). Upaadi means phenomena taken strongly by craving or
      attachment (tanhaa).

      As such, we can know for sure that Anupaadisesa Nibbaana is emptied
      of the five khandhaas. Therefore, after the death of an Arahant, the
      scenario of nibbaana having the consciousness component
      (viññaanakkhandho) is out of the question. There is no textual
      support for such a scenario.

      With regards,

      Suan Lu Zaw

      http://www.bodhiology.org