More Pali - Every few days - [C192]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2004
      More Pali - Every few days - [C192]
      Warder - Exercise 19 (page 145)
      Passages for Reading 2 (Part 13 of 19)

      tena hi braahma.na su.nohi bhaasissaamii ti.
      Well then / Brahmin / listen / I will speak /
      (end-quote)
      “Well then, Brahmin, listen and I will speak.”

      eva.m bho ti kho Kuu.tadanto braahma.no bhagavato
      paccassosi.
      thus / sir / (end-quote) / Kutadanta / the Brahmin /
      to the Blessed One / he replied
      “Yes, sir”, the Brahmin Kutadanta replied to the
      Blessed One.

      bhagavaa etad avoca:
      Blessed One / thus / spoke
      The Blessed One said this:

      bhuutapubba.m braahma.na raajaa Mahaavijito naama
      ahosi,
      in the past / Brahmin / king Mahavijita / named /
      there was
      “Brahmin, once there was a king named Mahavijita,

      a.d.dho maha-ddhano mahaa-bhogo
      pahuuta-jaataruupa-rajato pahuuta-vitt-uupakara.no
      pahuuta-dhana-dhañño paripu.n.na-kosa-ko.t.thaagaaro.
      rich / great-wealth / great-property /
      much-gold-silver / much-pleasure-resources /
      much-wealth-grain / full-treasury-granary
      who was exceedingly rich, with much property, gold,
      silver, pleasure-resources, wealth and grain, with
      treasury and granary completely full.

      Metta, John